TLS has lost its collective mind

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
romothesavior

Re: TLS has lost its collective mind

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:46 pm

I actually think I am leaning towards mtal and Mr Anon on this one. Never thought I'd say that.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:51 pm

romothesavior wrote:I actually think I am leaning towards mtal and Mr Anon on this one. Never thought I'd say that.

if you can ignore the "shoot the messenger" dogma we have going on here youll see theyre correct. a lot of people dislike mranon for some reason but when he posts im almost always in agreement.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:56 pm

I don't think anyone is saying they're wrong. Law school is gonna end up being a very bad decision for a lot of people. And, sure, there needs to be a voice to tell prospective law students about the realities facing them in the job market. But I'm not sure MTal (as he currently does things) is the man for the job. (I don't really follow MrAnon, so I can't speak on his posting history).

Onthebrink

Postby Onthebrink » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:05 am

Dude, go spend some time on JDU and learn something from the writing style there. Those fuckers are funny as shit when they troll. Consider posting about your own personal woes, in the first-person narrative form, and don't just drone on and on about debt... talk about how your wife left you, you developed a stutter, and you have permanent ED, all because of law school. Then state that you envy the shit out of garbagemen (who you should paint as having happy, lucrative careers), and conclude by saying that you're thinking of joining the French Foreign Legion, or something equally hilarious.

Use satire bro; you just sound whiny. That line you had earlier about "I relish my friends and my enemies. They both define me." or whatever made me want to vomit.[/quote]

I get it, you don't like my delivery. So sorry to have disappointed you.[/quote]

That's the problem, though, and it's a problem that's been brought up pretty consistently in your threads. Your underlying message and purpose might be decent ("Most law schools will fuck you"), but you deliver it in such a way that people completely block you out and ridicule you. And if people then associate that basic message with your posts, they might think the whole message is bullshit, and go right ahead with applying to TTT schools. In essence, your posts might have the opposite effect that you intend: instead of deterring people from attending these schools, you caricature the whole idea behind your posts, and thus make it easier for people to disregard that idea as just the crazy rantings of some fringe idiot.

Edit: Here's a crazy thought: maybe MTal is really an admissions dean for some TTT. Maybe this has been his plan all along: to make the naysayers look like wackos. It's like... a dream within a dream, man.[/quote]

So wait....is this snowfort level? or hotel level?

flcath

Postby flcath » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:37 am

Onthebrink wrote:
YourCaptain wrote:Edit: Here's a crazy thought: maybe MTal is really an admissions dean for some TTT. Maybe this has been his plan all along: to make the naysayers look like wackos. It's like... a dream within a dream, man.

This is mere hotel level. Snowfort level will be when it turns out that MTal, though an adcomm at Florida Coastal, actually secretly desires bring down TTT law schools from within by flooding them with the dumbest possible applicants who can never pass the bar.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:48 am

flcath wrote:
Onthebrink wrote:
YourCaptain wrote:Edit: Here's a crazy thought: maybe MTal is really an admissions dean for some TTT. Maybe this has been his plan all along: to make the naysayers look like wackos. It's like... a dream within a dream, man.

This is mere hotel level. Snowfort level will be when it turns out that MTal, though an adcomm at Florida Coastal, actually secretly desires bring down TTT law schools from within by flooding them with the dumbest possible applicants who can never pass the bar.

:shock: . I feel like Ace Ventura when he realized Einhorn was Finkle.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:19 am

YourCaptain wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I actually think I am leaning towards mtal and Mr Anon on this one. Never thought I'd say that.

if you can ignore the "shoot the messenger" dogma we have going on here youll see theyre correct. a lot of people dislike mranon for some reason but when he posts im almost always in agreement.

I think he and mtal are waaaay over the top and lack any nuance or perspective. It's purely black and white with them, no shades of grey. I think that's stupid, and it is going to turn more people off than it will help. mtal thinks people don't listen to him because he is "frank." But it's not the frankness that people dislike, its his being a narrow-minded, exaggerating retard.

On this particular subject though, I think they may be right. I don't really know if there is a TLS policy on this, or what it is. I'd love to hear from a mod about it.

TheFutureLawyer

Re: TLS has lost it's collective mind

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:39 am

Dany wrote:its*

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:45 am

Does there really have to be a drawn out discussion on the philosophy of MTal every time he posts?

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:47 am

Here's the deal with a lot of folks that enjoy "telling it like it is" on this site, their message does not come from an altruistic aim. It comes more from a disgust of the blissful ignorance that many people have. I think the driver is that some posters really resent people who are likely screwed not knowing or not admitting that they are likely screwed.

MTal

Postby MTal » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:49 am

Stringer Bell wrote:Here's the deal with a lot of folks that enjoy "telling it like it is" on this site, their message does not come from an altruistic aim. It comes more from a disgust of the blissful ignorance that many people have. I think the driver is that some posters really resent people who are likely screwed not knowing or not admitting that they are likely screwed.
That is a big one for me, yes. Edit: Although I would say altruism plays a part as well. It is sickening to see an entire generation of youth destroy their lives by taking on mortgage sized debt and get virtually nothing in return for it.
Last edited by MTal on Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:53 am

MTal wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:Here's the deal with a lot of folks that enjoy "telling it like it is" on this site, their message does not come from an altruistic aim. It comes more from a disgust of the blissful ignorance that many people have. I think the driver is that some posters really resent people who are likely screwed not knowing or not admitting that they are likely screwed.
That is a big one for me, yes.

It's a pretty normal human response. I'll give you credit for owning up to it.

flcath

Postby flcath » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:13 am

NYC Law wrote:Does there really have to be a drawn out discussion on the philosophy of MTal every time he posts?

For a discussion of the merits of MTal's posts, please see any of the first 1,000 of his (substantially identical) posts.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:25 am

This seems incredibly jaded to me. If I'm disgusted by anyone, it is the people behind the lies of employment statistics that are luring students in. ( I'm also offended by the absurd and unjustifiable tuition charged by every single school).

I know people who are naive and I want to try to at least give them another perspective to the misleading employment statistics. But I don't bother to argue with people who are convinced that all they have to do is work hard and they will be in the top 10%. Or that all the need to do is hustle and they will be fine, as if the unemployed people simply haven't tried hard enough to find jobs.

After one, or maybe two posts, I assume that they at least can't say that no one told them. I don't feel like I'm on some crusade. I actually want to give people information the best I can; but I can't make people listen.
Then again, unlike others, I like law and am not at all bitter.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”