TLS has lost its collective mind

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mattviphky

Re: TLS has lost its collective mind

Postby mattviphky » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:00 am

chickenfed wrote:Perhaps I missed the post, but why is it that Mtal's opinion has any value? Is he mad because he was rejected by NYLS? Did he try to fill out the online application but forgot writing on the screen doesn't work? His original post and subsequent replies are ignorant to say the least. People have the right to apply to any school that they choose, the majority of the planet is (and will remain) impervious to Mtal's inane comments. I say we just chalk up the 5 year TLS veteran's comment to him being butthurt.

Hey, I haven't seen you on TLS before, and I decided to glance at your profile to see what you were about. How did you pick that list of schools? I mean, they're pretty good schools, but damn man, they are all over the map!

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:05 am

I support MTal. Maybe not in the Applicant's forum, but he has a place everywhere else. I think enough people will see disparaging comments about a certain school that they will eventually post in the "Choosing" forum, asking something like "is this TTTT a good idea?". Then they will retake or forget law school. Or at least I hope that is how things play out.

SisterRayVU

Postby SisterRayVU » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:36 am

MTal can be a huge fucking dick, but it should be in our interest to dissuade students from going to TTTs.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:30 pm

SisterRayVU wrote:MTal can be a huge fucking dick, but it should be in our interest to dissuade students from going to TTTs.

Time, place, manner duder.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:47 pm

The schools get unlimited unchecked marketing on this site. Really what value is it to have Nikki Lauberstein, dean of syracuse admissions come on here and talk about the wellness program at syracuse?? These are just BS talking points that every school tries to sell. At the end of the day underemployment from these schools is rampant but never discussed in any of these little marketing shows sponsored by TLS.

As long as the schools are allowed to preach on this site and not have to take tough questions then I think Mtal deserves to preach in any of the forums.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:50 pm

MrAnon wrote:The schools get unlimited unchecked marketing on this site. Really what value is it to have Nikki Lauberstein, dean of syracuse admissions come on here and talk about the wellness program at syracuse?? These are just BS talking points that every school tries to sell. At the end of the day underemployment from these schools is rampant but never discussed in any of these little marketing shows sponsored by TLS.

As long as the schools are allowed to preach on this site and not have to take tough questions then I think Mtal deserves to preach in any of the forums.

I think as long as you are respectful, I think you can ask these deans questions about jobs. If not then I agree with you.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:55 pm

romothesavior wrote:
MrAnon wrote:The schools get unlimited unchecked marketing on this site. Really what value is it to have Nikki Lauberstein, dean of syracuse admissions come on here and talk about the wellness program at syracuse?? These are just BS talking points that every school tries to sell. At the end of the day underemployment from these schools is rampant but never discussed in any of these little marketing shows sponsored by TLS.

I think as long as you are respectful, I think you can ask these deans questions about jobs. If not then I agree with you.

Where is the line on respectful? Pless was on here. If anyone had called into question the GPA/LSAT numbers as phoney baloney to him---and they really were suspect looking----they would have been kicked off the board by the mods. basically we are stuck watching naive 0Ls eat up whatever is served. I think that is the frustration. The South Texas college of law guy has a Q&A thread up now. This is the same school that posted a message to 0Ls that they should ignore panicky message boards warning of low employment in the legal field. Really??? Talk about schiesters. Should I ask this guy about it? How long do you think my account would last on the board.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:02 pm

Point taken, and to some degree I agree. I think if the deans want to get te publicity of being on TLS then they should be subjected to reasonable critical/skeptical questions. I'd be interested in a mods opinion.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:05 pm

MrAnon wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Where is the line on respectful? Pless was on here. If anyone had called into question the GPA/LSAT numbers as phoney baloney to him---and they really were suspect looking----they would have been kicked off the board by the mods. basically we are stuck watching naive 0Ls eat up whatever is served. I think that is the frustration. The South Texas college of law guy has a Q&A thread up now. This is the same school that posted a message to 0Ls that they should ignore panicky message boards warning of low employment in the legal field. Really??? Talk about schiesters. Should I ask this guy about it? How long do you think my account would last on the board.

Maybe if you had any clue what you were talking about your messages would be better received. All your posts are so ridiculously over the top that nobody listens to you even when you are right.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:14 pm

^^^ agree with the above. MrAnon you are one of the worst posters around.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:33 pm

MrAnon wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Oh, you mean like when a Thomas Jefferson Law School decided to post, was heckled by multiple posters, and no one was banned?

You can do plenty to dissuade 0Ls from going to certain schools. Just don't be a moron about it. It's really not hard.

Flappy Scribbleneck

Postby Flappy Scribbleneck » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:18 pm

MTal wrote:
Flappy Scribbleneck wrote:I love this forum. What is best about it is the large population of vigilantes. Dark Knights who are protecting us from the TTTTs lurking in dark alleyways. And then to get a gift like this, the hero expressing his frustration to his constituency. Priceless. I think there needs to be a forum for frustrated vigilantes so MTal and the others can vent to similarly frustrated vigilantes: the guys trying to warn people about the dangers of buying a condo or owning an Audi. I would read that forum.

Debt from Condo/Audi purchases can be discharged in bankruptcy. Debt from attending law school cannot.

People shouldn't have to pay their debts?

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:24 pm

Flappy Scribbleneck wrote:
MTal wrote:
Flappy Scribbleneck wrote:I love this forum. What is best about it is the large population of vigilantes. Dark Knights who are protecting us from the TTTTs lurking in dark alleyways. And then to get a gift like this, the hero expressing his frustration to his constituency. Priceless. I think there needs to be a forum for frustrated vigilantes so MTal and the others can vent to similarly frustrated vigilantes: the guys trying to warn people about the dangers of buying a condo or owning an Audi. I would read that forum.

Debt from Condo/Audi purchases can be discharged in bankruptcy. Debt from attending law school cannot.

People shouldn't have to pay their debts?

Actually, you should go to whatever school you want and take on as much debt as you want. No one is telling you not to repay it. People are trying to tell you that you have been lied to about your chances of getting a job that will allow you to repay it.

WSJ_Law

Postby WSJ_Law » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:39 pm

Agree with OP and Mr. Anon 100%.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:41 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
MrAnon wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Maybe if you had any clue what you were talking about your messages would be better received. All your posts are so ridiculously over the top that nobody listens to you even when you are right.

see, that's the thing.

when the uiuc stuff came around, people were ZEALOUS in their defense of pless just because he was "so helpful." the guy was a salesman, he was trying to get as many apps to uiuc as possible. it was bizarre how many non-uiuc people couldnt look past what was "comfortable" and face the fact that the evidence, from the beginning, was damning.

now look, we have the kansas u school of law's dean here. seems like a nice guy and he probably cares about his students; i asked him for detailed employment stats. he responded, in so many words, that "that kind of information" is hard to put together. if i had the email addresses for every single person for a law school, i could put detailed employment data for every law school in 2 weeks. it's a very doable job but it's something they dont want us to know.

it's one thing to be respectful but we shouldnt be timid.

MTal

Postby MTal » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:01 pm

There is no need to be respectful to those who are in effect, if not always in intent, fleecing you of money.

JoeFish

Postby JoeFish » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:16 pm

MTal wrote:There is no need to be respectful to those who are in effect, if not always in intent, fleecing you of money.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand this is why people don't listen to you even if you're right.

flcath

Postby flcath » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:56 pm

MTal wrote:There is no need to be respectful to those who are in effect, if not always in intent, fleecing you of money.

Ugh.

Dude, go spend some time on JDU and learn something from the writing style there. Those fuckers are funny as shit when they troll. Consider posting about your own personal woes, in the first-person narrative form, and don't just drone on and on about debt... talk about how your wife left you, you developed a stutter, and you have permanent ED, all because of law school. Then state that you envy the shit out of garbagemen (who you should paint as having happy, lucrative careers), and conclude by saying that you're thinking of joining the French Foreign Legion, or something equally hilarious.

Use satire bro; you just sound whiny. That line you had earlier about "I relish my friends and my enemies. They both define me." or whatever made me want to vomit.

MTal

Postby MTal » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:59 pm

flcath wrote:

Ugh.

Dude, go spend some time on JDU and learn something from the writing style there. Those fuckers are funny as shit when they troll. Consider posting about your own personal woes, in the first-person narrative form, and don't just drone on and on about debt... talk about how your wife left you, you developed a stutter, and you have permanent ED, all because of law school. Then state that you envy the shit out of garbagemen (who you should paint as having happy, lucrative careers), and conclude by saying that you're thinking of joining the French Foreign Legion, or something equally hilarious.

Use satire bro; you just sound whiny. That line you had earlier about "I relish my friends and my enemies. They both define me." or whatever made me want to vomit.

I get it, you don't like my delivery. So sorry to have disappointed you.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:09 pm

MTal wrote:
flcath wrote:

Ugh.

That's the problem, though, and it's a problem that's been brought up pretty consistently in your threads. Your underlying message and purpose might be decent ("Most law schools will fuck you"), but you deliver it in such a way that people completely block you out and ridicule you. And if people then associate that basic message with your posts, they might think the whole message is bullshit, and go right ahead with applying to TTT schools. In essence, your posts might have the opposite effect that you intend: instead of deterring people from attending these schools, you caricature the whole idea behind your posts, and thus make it easier for people to disregard that idea as just the crazy rantings of some fringe idiot.

Edit: Here's a crazy thought: maybe MTal is really an admissions dean for some TTT. Maybe this has been his plan all along: to make the naysayers look like wackos. It's like... a dream within a dream, man.

flcath

Postby flcath » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:16 pm

MTal wrote:
flcath wrote:

Ugh.

You're a really recognizable poster for not having a fuckton of posts, but we're starting to see the same verbiage recycled over and over.

Look at that dude 'areyouinsane'. He had a great following for a troll, and he only had like 40 posts. It's because he was legitimately knee-slappingly funny.

flcath

Postby flcath » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:19 pm

beachbum wrote:
MTal wrote:
flcath wrote:

Ugh.

That's the problem, though, and it's a problem that's been brought up pretty consistently in your threads. Your underlying message and purpose might be decent ("Most law schools will fuck you"), but you deliver it in such a way that people completely block you out and ridicule you. And if people then associate that basic message with your posts, they might think the whole message is bullshit, and go right ahead with applying to TTT schools. In essence, your posts might have the opposite effect that you intend: instead of deterring people from attending these schools, you caricature the whole idea behind your posts, and thus make it easier for people to disregard that idea as just the crazy rantings of some fringe idiot.

Edit: Here's a crazy thought: maybe MTal is really an admissions dean for some TTT. Maybe this has been his plan all along: to make the naysayers look like wackos. It's like... a dream within a dream, man.

You mean like a taco within a taco?

MTal

Postby MTal » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:24 pm

beachbum wrote: That's the problem, though, and it's a problem that's been brought up pretty consistently in your threads. Your underlying message and purpose might be decent ("Most law schools will fuck you"), but you deliver it in such a way that people completely block you out and ridicule you. And if people then associate that basic message with your posts, they might think the whole message is bullshit, and go right ahead with applying to TTT schools. In essence, your posts might have the opposite effect that you intend: instead of deterring people from attending these schools, you caricature the whole idea behind your posts, and thus make it easier for people to disregard that idea as just the crazy rantings of some fringe idiot.

I don't couch my posts in terms of respect or civility, because the law school deans and to be frank, the applicants who refuse to listen, deserve none. The law school scam is literally destroying lives, and that is NO exaggeration. Thousands of students are graduating with mortgage sized debt and no career prospects, again, NO exaggeration. When the stakes are so high, the situation needs to be outlined in as stark terms as possible, and as such, the need for respect and civility becomes secondary.

Again, the law school deans who are fleecing students are utterly undeserving of respect. They are building their upper class livelihood on the backs of the naive young, enticing them with false promises which in almost all cases never pan out. As for the students themselves, they deserve to hear the truth in as stark terms as possible, even if that means shattering their dreams of practicing international law from NYLS. I would expect, and indeed did expect such harsh language when describing the true state of the legal profession. Thanks to those who were willing to be honest with me, I chose not to continue and now have a wonderful job and career. I owe those who were willing to be completely honest with me a true debt of gratitude.
Last edited by MTal on Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:25 pm

flcath wrote:
beachbum wrote:That's the problem, though, and it's a problem that's been brought up pretty consistently in your threads. Your underlying message and purpose might be decent ("Most law schools will fuck you"), but you deliver it in such a way that people completely block you out and ridicule you. And if people then associate that basic message with your posts, they might think the whole message is bullshit, and go right ahead with applying to TTT schools. In essence, your posts might have the opposite effect that you intend: instead of deterring people from attending these schools, you caricature the whole idea behind your posts, and thus make it easier for people to disregard that idea as just the crazy rantings of some fringe idiot.

You mean like a taco within a taco?

Inceptioned

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:28 pm

beachbum wrote:
MTal wrote:
flcath wrote:

Ugh.

that would be incredibly brilliant.

*RUNS TO MAKE NEW TLS ACCOUNT*

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”