TLS has lost its collective mind Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
homestyle28

Gold

Re: TLS has lost its collective mind

Post by homestyle28 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:00 pm

I can't help but think, based solely on the number of responses in the thread, that MTal is winning this one.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:17 pm

homestyle28 wrote:I can't help but think, based solely on the number of responses in the thread, that MTal is winning this one.
TLS does have a love-hate relationship with him.

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:07 pm

The fact that the mods left his post up in the thread tells me they agree with him and that people should be warned, but they didn't want a protracted argument in the thread. The fact is there may be many people who do not lurk the other forums and could be in the dark about a lot of things.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:09 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:The fact that the mods left his post up in the thread tells me they agree with him and that people should be warned.
While the mods may agree with him, I'm fairly sure that it got left up because the TLS policy is only to actually delete/edit posts in very rare cases (e.g. penises).

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:13 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:The fact that the mods left his post up in the thread tells me they agree with him and that people should be warned, but they didn't want a protracted argument in the thread. The fact is there may be many people who do not lurk the other forums and could be in the dark about a lot of things.
Dude we all agree with his message it's just he is a broken record and sometimes goes off the deep end with his anti-law school arguments. For the most part, what he preaches is right: attending schools with poor job prospects while incurring over 100K in non-dischargeable debt is a poor decision. It's just that many of us are aware of this reality and/or are tired of seeing MTal beat the same old drum.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:22 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote: It's just that many of us are aware of this reality and/or are tired of seeing MTal beat the same old drum.
If you check out that thread, you will see the NYLS applicants are far, FAR from aware.

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:25 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:The fact that the mods left his post up in the thread tells me they agree with him and that people should be warned, but they didn't want a protracted argument in the thread. The fact is there may be many people who do not lurk the other forums and could be in the dark about a lot of things.
Dude we all agree with his message it's just he is a broken record and sometimes goes off the deep end with his anti-law school arguments. For the most part, what he preaches is right: attending schools with poor job prospects while incurring over 100K in non-dischargeable debt is a poor decision. It's just that many of us are aware of this reality and/or are tired of seeing MTal beat the same old drum.
You're a regular poster here, I'm willing to bet most of the traffic on this site is people who lurk threads and have no accounts or rarely post, have no idea who MTal or any of the regulars are, and aren't as well informed as us. Social media affects a lot more people than the most active/visible.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:28 pm

I'm curious what Mtal's end game is.

MVPson

New

Post by MVPson » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:37 pm

*damns banks for giving out bad home loans*

*argues people should not be ridiculed for decision to go to t4 law schools while taking out PUBLIC DEBT*

*is hypocritical 20 something with no practical understanding of the world*

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:32 pm

MTal wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote: It's just that many of us are aware of this reality and/or are tired of seeing MTal beat the same old drum.
If you check out that thread, you will see the NYLS applicants are far, FAR from aware.
So what? The information is out there, if they choose not to heed it, why is that your problem?

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:40 pm

Curious1 wrote:
MTal wrote:
So what? The information is out there, if they choose not to heed it, why is that your problem?
Check his full post. He was saying everyone is already aware of the ongoing fraud, I'm am pointing out it's exactly the opposite.
Last edited by MTal on Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MVPson

New

Post by MVPson » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:42 pm

It's a problem because it's public money that will be paid for by people who actually make money and get taxed. Those who go to schools like NYLS will, in large part, not pay that money back. So that means those of us who make money and get taxed will be required to pay back their loans for them. So why is it MTal's or anyone else's problem who presumably is not going to a T4? Because anyone who makes money and gets taxed all pay for them to go to those T4 schools.

Remember the real estate bubble? This is a lot like that.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:59 pm

I dunno. I mean, I like most of the people who post here. If I can possibly help someone avoid making a huge mistake, then I think I should at least try. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think that everyone has the whole information about employment. I'm not convinced that most pre-law advisors know what is happening with school admissions and employment. My impression is that a number of applicants are getting poor advice from advisors, faculty and family members.

Even currently practicing attorneys may be clueless about the current market depending on when they graduated.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:06 pm

MTal wrote:
Curious1 wrote:
MTal wrote:
Check his full post. He was saying everyone is already of the ongoing fraud, I'm am pointing out it's exactly the opposite.
I actually said many, not everyone, but I understand what you're saying--there are people who don't know or who are ignoring the information to their detriment.

EDIT: Actually, I don't care.

tyro

Silver

Post by tyro » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:53 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:I'm curious what Mtal's end game is.
Has he started a blog yet?

paul34

Bronze

Post by paul34 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:04 am

Last edited by paul34 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:20 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote: I actually said many, not everyone, but I understand what you're saying--there are people who don't know or who are ignoring the information to their detriment.

Evidently you cared enough to report my post to the mods.
Last edited by MTal on Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:20 am

Nightrunner wrote:
Curious1 wrote:
MTal wrote:
See, I'm no MTal fan (although he does serve a cause, when he manages to do it in the right places), but statements like the above don't make any sense. The employment information is out there. The application data is out there. The LSAT information is out there (literally fuck everywhere). The vast, vast majority of TLS' on topic forums are full of people helping other people gather and/or synthesize information that is already available. Disparaging MTal for sharing (and re-sharing) information is essentially saying "don't do what all of TLS does," or, more aptly, saying "here's a bullshit rationale that allows me to vent the fact that I'm sick of your particular information."
TBF, it would be pretty different if he merely went into threads where people asking what school they should attend or apply to. He's not appropriately providing LSAT or application data. What he did that sparked this whining was more akin to going into the NYLS thread and going "you should really retake your LSAT."

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:07 am

MTal wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote: I actually said many, not everyone, but I understand what you're saying--there are people who don't know or who are ignoring the information to their detriment.

Evidently you cared enough to report my post to the mods.
Believe it or not, it wasn't me.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:12 am

MTal wrote:
Grizz wrote:No prospective students responded to you over there so you tried again here? Got it.
They responded. It was I who was not allowed to respond back.
I'm not sure whether this got touched on, but the mods clearly state that you can't post that kind of stuff in the c/o applicants threads. Regardless of whether it makes sense, those are the rules. If they don't go looking for the other side of the coin, it's their fault

chickenfed

New

Post by chickenfed » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:32 am

Perhaps I missed the post, but why is it that Mtal's opinion has any value? Is he mad because he was rejected by NYLS? Did he try to fill out the online application but forgot writing on the screen doesn't work? His original post and subsequent replies are ignorant to say the least. People have the right to apply to any school that they choose, the majority of the planet is (and will remain) impervious to Mtal's inane comments. I say we just chalk up the 5 year TLS veteran's comment to him being butthurt.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:49 am

chickenfed wrote:Perhaps I missed the post, but why is it that Mtal's opinion has any value? Is he mad because he was rejected by NYLS? Did he try to fill out the online application but forgot writing on the screen doesn't work? His original post and subsequent replies are ignorant to say the least. People have the right to apply to any school that they choose, the majority of the planet is (and will remain) impervious to Mtal's inane comments. I say we just chalk up the 5 year TLS veteran's comment to him being butthurt.
None of this makes him wrong, hence the love/hate relationship. People applying to TTTTs NEED to hear what he's saying and they NEED to reconsider law school.

Errzii

Bronze

Post by Errzii » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:50 am

chickenfed wrote:Perhaps I missed the post, but why is it that Mtal's opinion has any value? Is he mad because he was rejected by NYLS? Did he try to fill out the online application but forgot writing on the screen doesn't work? His original post and subsequent replies are ignorant to say the least. People have the right to apply to any school that they choose, the majority of the planet is (and will remain) impervious to Mtal's inane comments. I say we just chalk up the 5 year TLS veteran's comment to him being butthurt.
Uh, I don't think the issue is whether Mtal's opinion has any value or not. Clearly, there's agreement that his opinion has at least some merit. It's not so much WHAT he's saying as much as it is HOW/WHEN he's saying it.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:04 am

See, part of the problem is that people remain impervious. They remain so impervious that they attend for profit law schools that are being sued for fraud,and pay as much (or more) than the cost of a very top school.

bmore

Bronze

Post by bmore » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:41 am

Dunno. People applying to schools like this likely don't want to believe, or can't believe, what "you" have to say. So I am not sure that educating them helps anything but keeping these boards busy :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”