Admissions possibilities?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cath_low

Admissions possibilities?

Postby cath_low » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:24 am

Hi everyone -

I have a unique situation I was hoping you all could shed some light on. I am a current senior in undergrad. I am a Biomedical Engineering major, with a minor in Anthropology, UGPA of 3.0 (EXTREMELY science intensive course load). I took the LSAT and received a 172.

I recently decided to go to law school this past year. I had intended to pursue a masters and perhaps teach, but after shadowing an IP attorney I fell in love with the possibilities of blending science and law.

I will be applying this upcoming cycle (fall 2012).

What are my likely acceptances?? I live in Michigan. I have some very solid "soft" admission factors as well, but am unsure of how these will all blend together (especially considering the course content of my major). I have publication reviewed research, extensive philanthropy involvement, and held multiple organizational leadership positions throughout undergrad.

Thank you for your help! Please no negativity -- I really am just trying to get a feel for this process :)

larsoner

Re: Admissions possibilities?

Postby larsoner » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:38 am

You are really kind of late in the cycle. If at all possible I would wait a year as your chances will be hurt at this point as law schools almost all operate on rolling admissions. On the other hand, taking a year off (assuming you can find work) is generally looked upon favorably and may help you distance yourself from your relatively low GPA (low compared to your LSAT that is).

But if you are really intent on applying this cycle, you might still make it into a decent state school like Minnesota or Ohio. You will have to consider carefully where you want to practice as these schools don't have much clout outside of their areas (with a degree from Minnesota you will most likely end up in Minnesota, Wisconsin or Iowa). You should apply quickly if you intend to this year.

swoozie

Postby swoozie » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:38 am

cath_low wrote:Hi everyone -
I recently decided to go to law school this past year.

How recently? @_@ Is your app basically ready to send out/you have your transcripts processed/LORs already done?

I think general TLS wisdom is that you have better chances of admission the earlier you apply (esp. for splitters?), and it's already pretty late for this cycle. How long would a master's take you?

cath_low

Postby cath_low » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:47 am

I'm sorry for the confusion - I mean I am BEGINNING to apply in Fall 2012 -- so ideally matriculating in 2013. I would be working while applying/after I graduate.

larsoner

Postby larsoner » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:55 am

Oh, well in that case, reach for the stars. Your GPA will be the limiting factor, but if you app is otherwise solid, you should definitely be reaching for the lower T-14 (Duke, Northwestern, etc.). You might even send some apps to some of the more LSAT crazy T-10 (NYU). More bread and butter schools are probably still those good state schools like Minnesota, Ohio, etc. Good luck!

ConfidenceMan2

Postby ConfidenceMan2 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:22 am

larsoner wrote:Oh, well in that case, reach for the stars. Your GPA will be the limiting factor, but if you app is otherwise solid, you should definitely be reaching for the lower T-14 (Duke, Northwestern, etc.). You might even send some apps to some of the more LSAT crazy T-10 (NYU). More bread and butter schools are probably still those good state schools like Minnesota, Ohio, etc. Good luck!

Not to be an ass but this doesn't seem right for a 3.0/172. You won't have enough time to get enough WE for Northwestern, which would otherwise be the correct answer. But I think larsoner is underestimating how much a 3.0 will hurt you. I know it sucks, given that you had a much more intensive UG course load than most of us, but that's just not going to help you with a 3.0.

I think you'd likely be in at Georgetown, WUSTL, and possibly should try ED UVA if that tickles your fancy. Splitters often pick up work experience to offset their low GPAs and it works out for them. Without that time in the "real world" your options are slightly more limited. Outside the T14, it's quite a bit riskier, as your low GPA isn't going to help you much by way of scholarship money. WUSTL might be an option there, but no guarantees that they will throw money your way.

Just my opinion. Splitters are hard to predict as they say.

NYCbound35

Postby NYCbound35 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:43 am

Your best bet would be to ED UVA once apps open up. You'll hear back soon from them; and if that doesn't work out, you could then throw an ED app to Michigan. You also have a shot at Georgetown and Cornell regular decision. That's probably it for T14 if you apply this year. One more year of work experience should get you Northwestern.

With a 169-3.0, I got WUSTL and ND with $$ and Fordham at sticker (in terms of my best T30 options), so those should be available at you at the very least. Also, if you could get some money from GW, that might be a good option since I hear that they're good for IP. My science major helped me a bit, I believe, but its not a cure-all for the bad GPA as you might have believed before applying.

cath_low

Postby cath_low » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:06 pm

Thanks for the input - as for having research experience, do you think that has any sway on admissions committees as a soft? I know that kind of stuff is looked upon favorably in the scientific field, not sure how law schools feel (or if they care, haha).

Perdevise

Postby Perdevise » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:19 pm

If I read correctly, OP will have a year of WE. I think that gives him/her a pretty good shot at NU, which sounds optimal. I am not sure how rankings play into IP law (I've heard it matters less). Also, I've read on these forums that bachelor degrees are less competitive for IP against people with masters or PhDs.

ConfidenceMan2

Postby ConfidenceMan2 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:24 pm

Perdevise wrote:If I read correctly, OP will have a year of WE. I think that gives him/her a pretty good shot at NU, which sounds optimal. I am not sure how rankings play into IP law (I've heard it matters less). Also, I've read on these forums that bachelor degrees are less competitive for IP against people with masters or PhDs.

I don't think you read correctly. He's an undergrad. My understanding is that they want post-undergrad WE. Perhaps if the research experience is significant, it might help, but I still think the OP's best bet is an ED kind of situation. Play your apps right and you shouldn't be shut out of the T14, NU or not.

Perdevise

Postby Perdevise » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:20 pm

cath_low wrote:

Applying in the fall of 2012, meaning attending in 2013. He has time to get some decent WE.

Gail

Postby Gail » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:04 pm

cath_low wrote:Hi everyone -

I have a unique situation I was hoping you all could shed some light on. I am a current senior in undergrad. I am a Biomedical Engineering major, with a minor in Anthropology, UGPA of 3.0 (EXTREMELY science intensive course load). I took the LSAT and received a 172.

I recently decided to go to law school this past year. I had intended to pursue a masters and perhaps teach, but after shadowing an IP attorney I fell in love with the possibilities of blending science and law.

What are my likely acceptances?? I live in Michigan. I have some very solid "soft" admission factors as well, but am unsure of how these will all blend together (especially considering the course content of my major). I have publication reviewed research, extensive philanthropy involvement, and held multiple organizational leadership positions throughout undergrad.

Thank you for your help! Please no negativity -- I really am just trying to get a feel for this process :)

Your GPA is good for engineering. I think a lot of law schools take that into account. I'd say apply next year. If you want to apply this cycle, apply broadly, if you get disappointed, apply next cycle and I like your chances at Michigan.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”