Visiting a law school before you are accepted Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

TLS, who is right?

Me
76%
Mommy and Daddy
24%

Total votes: 21

Tom Joad

Gold

Visiting a law school before you are accepted

Post by Tom Joad » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:20 pm

I just got held at a major reach school I would love to go to. I want to go visit just to demonstrate my interest and I have something else going on it is the city I could simultaneously attend. I talked about it over the phone with my parents, because I wanted to see if I could use some of my aunt's frequent flier miles, and they thought it was a little premature. TLS, who is right?

dietcoke0

Silver

Re: Visiting a law school before you are accepted

Post by dietcoke0 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:26 pm

Doing this with some of my reaches, but driving here on the East Coast. I figured can't hurt.

rijed

New

Post by rijed » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:32 pm

I was waitlisted at a reach school and decided to go and visit. Immediately after my visit, I was told if I would have visited before they made the decision that they would have accepted me. Anyways, after I visited, they accepted me (in December). In short, go and visit... it does make a difference in my experience.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:33 pm

rijed wrote:I was waitlisted at a reach school and decided to go and visit. Immediately after my visit, I was told if I would have visited before they made the decision that they would have accepted me. Anyways, after I visited, they accepted me (in December). In short, go and visit... it does make a difference in my experience.
I am curious what kind of school? T3, T6, T14, T50, T100?

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:33 pm

Depends on the school. With most of the top schools, it doesn't help. Some of them (I know Stanford) don't even put that you visit in your file.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:34 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
rijed wrote:I was waitlisted at a reach school and decided to go and visit. Immediately after my visit, I was told if I would have visited before they made the decision that they would have accepted me. Anyways, after I visited, they accepted me (in December). In short, go and visit... it does make a difference in my experience.
If you're visiting a T100 because you were held, you're doing it wrong.

sach1282

Bronze

Post by sach1282 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:39 pm

Tom Joad wrote:I just got held at a major reach school I would love to go to. I want to go visit just to demonstrate my interest and I have something else going on it is the city I could simultaneously attend. I talked about it over the phone with my parents, because I wanted to see if I could use some of my aunt's frequent flier miles, and they thought it was a little premature. TLS, who is right?
Yes, it is premature to use your aunt's frequent flier miles to go visit Harvard. Nevertheless, congratulations on the hold.

rijed

New

Post by rijed » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:35 am

Tom Joad wrote:

T25

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:46 am

I wouldn't fly across the country or anything, but if you can visit for a minimal cost I would say go for it. Hard to say how much of a factor it would be in an admissions decision, but it couldn't hurt. If you end up going, try to arrange a guided tour with one of the admissions people and mention that you were held and be personable/try not to come across as a complete creep.

dntburntheday

New

Post by dntburntheday » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:22 am

Only thing it'll hurt is the FF account...so go for it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”