Typos on my Resume and Addendum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hiphopvhlr

Typos on my Resume and Addendum

Postby hiphopvhlr » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:33 pm

I am freaking out. I submitted my application to my top school, and I don't know how, but It happened: I misspelled one word on my resume (Senor instead of Senior) and I also misspelled one word on my Addendum (Inerest instead of Interest). I called the law school, and they said it was no big deal. But I know they are looking for reasons to reject people, so I don't know what to do. Any advice would be great. What should I do?

dietcoke0

Re: Typos on my Resume and Addendum

Postby dietcoke0 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:27 pm

Move yourself to Hispanic and call yourself golden

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:49 pm

I don't think typos make that much of a difference. I had the word "shit" on my resume in lieu of "shift." No one noticed, or if they did they thought it was hilarious and decided to admit me.

But really, it's not that much of a big deal.

NomNom

Postby NomNom » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:51 pm

Nothing you can do...spell check next time?

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:31 am

dietcoke0 wrote:Move yourself to Hispanic and call yourself golden

Adds a whole new level when you start talking about your Senor thesis.

(But really - in an email with the admissions people at my school, I actually misspelled the name of the school. Felt like an idiot, but I still got in, with $$.)

Davidbentley

Postby Davidbentley » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:37 am

hiphopvhlr wrote:I am freaking out. I submitted my application to my top school, and I don't know how, but It happened: I misspelled one word on my resume (Senor instead of Senior) and I also misspelled one word on my Addendum (Inerest instead of Interest). I called the law school, and they said it was no big deal. But I know they are looking for reasons to reject people, so I don't know what to do. Any advice would be great. What should I do?

Wait, you called them to tell them you made a spelling mistake? If you had omitted a whole section of your work experience, then perhaps a call would have been warranted. But my friend, never show the executioner where the rope is.

NomNom

Postby NomNom » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:03 am

I am slightly perplexed. Just playing devil's advocate here, but I thought typos etc were a big deal. Otherwise, why do people read over apps/PS/addendums fifty times before submitting?

Not trying to worry the OP as if you were told it wasn't an issue that is fine (of course, I do agree with the person above me - why show the rope?)

It just seems like if spelling errors/typos were caught by an admissions committee it may not play out in someone's favor. Even in the "real world" typos on a resume are the kiss of death.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:07 am

cinephile wrote:I don't think typos make that much of a difference. I had the word "shit" on my resume in lieu of "shift." No one noticed, or if they did they thought it was hilarious and decided to admit me.

But really, it's not that much of a big deal.

Ooo, that's a good one. I sent out 20 cover letters to jobs that used the word Asses instead of Assess. New topic - what is the worst typo you've ever made in a resume or other professional communication?

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:09 am

NomNom wrote:I am slightly perplexed. Just playing devil's advocate here, but I thought typos etc were a big deal. Otherwise, why do people read over apps/PS/addendums fifty times before submitting?

Not trying to worry the OP as if you were told it wasn't an issue that is fine (of course, I do agree with the person above me - why show the rope?)

It just seems like if spelling errors/typos were caught by an admissions committee it may not play out in someone's favor. Even in the "real world" typos on a resume are the kiss of death.

That's because in the real world, they're using your resume as a proof of some of your qualifications that they may care about - your ability to communicate professionally, detail-orientation, etc. In LS admissions, they largely just care about your stats. For the types of errors OP is talking about, it likely isn't a big deal.

NomNom

Postby NomNom » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:14 am

TommyK wrote:
NomNom wrote:I am slightly perplexed. Just playing devil's advocate here, but I thought typos etc were a big deal. Otherwise, why do people read over apps/PS/addendums fifty times before submitting?

That's because in the real world, they're using your resume as a proof of some of your qualifications that they may care about - your ability to communicate professionally, detail-orientation, etc. In LS admissions, they largely just care about your stats. For the types of errors OP is talking about, it likely isn't a big deal.

I would assume law schools care about your ability to communicate professionally, etc. Like I said, just playing devil's advocate. I guess it is more of just a personal thing because you can't change your GPA, you can improve your LSAT with months of prep, but spelling...everyone can do well at that given today's technology lol...and within seconds.

I don't think it will hurt the OP, but we are all so OCD about everything regarding the admissions process that I found it humorous that spelling isn't a big deal. I am sure someone reading a Yale 250 would agree.
Last edited by NomNom on Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

bmore

Postby bmore » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:15 am

They are also looking for a reason to accept you. If you have the numbers don't worry. If you don't have the numbers, worry but not because of those typos. I agree, don't point out your mistakes and next time for goodness sakes, spellcheck.

Errzii

Postby Errzii » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:29 am

Some errors are penalized more severely than others, e.g., admission deans are always talking about auto dinging people who confuse their school with another school on the application. In the OP's case, those seem like harmless typos so you're probably fine.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:31 pm

Errzii wrote:admission deans are always talking about auto dinging people who confuse their school with another school on the application.

I did that too with a PS. Still got in with $.

I'd agree that it's a numbers game.

SouthernPride_10thAm

Postby SouthernPride_10thAm » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:10 pm

Nobody cares. I sent in the wrong version of my personal statement (the first draft) to a top 20 school. It had dozens of mistakes and was not meant for anyone to see. I still got in.

Numbers numbers numbers.

turkey

Postby turkey » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:29 pm

SouthernPride_10thAm wrote:Nobody cares. I sent in the wrong version of my personal statement (the first draft) to a top 20 school. It had dozens of mistakes and was not meant for anyone to see. I still got in.

Numbers numbers numbers.

Agree with everyone else but I call b.s. on this.

SouthernPride_10thAm

Postby SouthernPride_10thAm » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:52 pm

turkey wrote:
SouthernPride_10thAm wrote:Nobody cares. I sent in the wrong version of my personal statement (the first draft) to a top 20 school. It had dozens of mistakes and was not meant for anyone to see. I still got in.

Numbers numbers numbers.

I'm only re-stating what every poster above has said, and I'm offering an example, dumbass.

turkey

Postby turkey » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:58 pm

SouthernPride_10thAm wrote:
turkey wrote:

Numbers numbers numbers.

I'm only re-stating what every poster above has said, and I'm offering an example, dumbass.

You submitted a rough draft PS loaded with mistakes to top 20 schools and I'm the dumbass?

Postby 20130312 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:14 pm

turkey wrote:
turkey wrote:

Numbers numbers numbers.

You submitted a rough draft PS loaded with mistakes to top 20 schools and I'm the dumbass?

Now children...

In other news, I think it's a cool story to note that Southern joined this site about a half hour before the post and only has posts in this thread. Just saying...

SouthernPride_10thAm

Postby SouthernPride_10thAm » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:19 pm

turkey wrote:
turkey wrote:

Numbers numbers numbers.

I got in. You lose.

turkey

Postby turkey » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:28 pm

I got in. You lose.

No you didn't.

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:32 pm

no big

SouthernPride_10thAm

Postby SouthernPride_10thAm » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:51 pm

turkey wrote:
I got in. You lose.

No you didn't.

Or maybe my first draft is 20 times sicker than your 20th draft.

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:04 pm

Numbers numbers numbers.

TITCR

NomNom

Postby NomNom » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:05 pm

turkey wrote:
I got in. You lose.

No you didn't.

Or maybe my first draft is 20 times sicker than your 20th draft.

You're beginning to sound like you have some serious mental deficiences, Southern. You should probably quit posting.

InGoodFaith makes a rather smart observation regarding the time you registered and your posting frequency. I'd probably walk away from this.

Postby 20130312 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:10 pm

NomNom wrote:InGoodFaith makes a rather smart observation

See, there's a first for everything :lol:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”