Pending Charges at UG

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
89vision

Pending Charges at UG

Postby 89vision » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:29 pm

I finished all my classes at my UG, and am not currently enrolled. However, I just received an email stating the school is filing disciplinary charges against me for something that occurred during the fall semester, and will send me an investigation/pending charges letter soon. Do I email the school's I applied to now stating I'm under investigation, or should I wait until the hearing and results to contact school's?

Thanks.

chem

Re: Pending Charges at UG

Postby chem » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:33 pm

89vision wrote:I finished all my classes at my UG, and am not currently enrolled. However, I just received an email stating the school is filing disciplinary charges against me for something that occurred during the fall semester, and will send me an investigation/pending charges letter soon. Do I email the school's I applied to now stating I'm under investigation, or should I wait until the hearing and results to contact school's?

Thanks.

Disclose. It specifically says to update them with pending charges

89vision

Postby 89vision » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:41 pm

I am confused because I'm no longer a student there. I finished all of my credits, so I'm unclear as to what the next step is.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:33 pm

89vision wrote:I am confused because I'm no longer a student there. I finished all of my credits, so I'm unclear as to what the next step is.

Just because you finished classes before the school acted on this alleged incident or situation doesn't mean that you're free and clear. They may still file a notice in your academic file before you receive your diploma. Check to see if the law schools specifically wanted updates on pending charges...if you cannot find that out, send an update to make sure you're safely following protocol.

NomNom

Postby NomNom » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:06 am

89vision wrote:I finished all my classes at my UG, and am not currently enrolled. However, I just received an email stating the school is filing disciplinary charges against me for something that occurred during the fall semester, and will send me an investigation/pending charges letter soon. Do I email the school's I applied to now stating I'm under investigation, or should I wait until the hearing and results to contact school's?

Thanks.

Have you received your diploma? At this point my concern would be if you are going to graduate - thus, I would email every school about it immediately and update them as noted.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:48 pm

No diploma, but I wasn't enrolled when the charges were filed.

Postby 20130312 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:51 pm

89vision wrote:No diploma, but I wasn't enrolled when the charges were filed.

Doesn't matter, DISCLOSE.

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:59 pm

I believe that registration for classes has nothing to do with any disciplinary action before you graduate from a school.

Did you cheat on a test or u accused of plagiarism? Hope this disciplinary action does not have a negative impact on your cycle much. :shock:

89vision

Postby 89vision » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:07 pm

lovejopd wrote:I believe that registration for classes has nothing to do with any disciplinary action before you graduate from a school.

Did you cheat on a test or u accused of plagiarism? Hope this disciplinary action does not have a negative impact on your cycle much. :shock:

It's not an academic offense. It happened after my last class/final at the school.

seahawk32

Postby seahawk32 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:08 pm

What happened?

apollo2015

Postby apollo2015 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:31 pm

You are probably in the right, but the C&F Gods who will judge your soul three years from now do not care about innocence. They care about procedure. You know you have charges pending against you, so disclose as promptly as possible, and you will be fine.

NomNom

Postby NomNom » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:43 pm

apollo2015 wrote:You are probably in the right, but the C&F Gods who will judge your soul three years from now do not care about innocence. They care about procedure. You know you have charges pending against you, so disclose as promptly as possible, and you will be fine.

+1

If this is going go affect if you GET a diploma or graduate, then you certainly have to say something.

Also +1 for what did you do exactly?

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:57 pm

seahawk32 wrote:What happened?

+1

I'm getting really sick of people asking for advice on C&F, or other issues, without giving any details on what exactly happened. If someone really wants to find out who you are, they can trace your account's IP. There's no anonymity online. So when you start a thread like this, tell us everything.

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:05 pm

mrtoren wrote:

+1

I'm getting really sick of people asking for advice on C&F, or other issues, without giving any details on what exactly happened. If someone really wants to find out who you are, they can trace your account's IP. There's no anonymity online. So when you start a thread like this, tell us everything.

Figuring out who a user is based on what they say and figuring out who a user is by getting their IP address are miles appart in terms of difficulty.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:12 pm

mrtoren wrote:

+1

Proxy's are pretty great for hiding IP addresses. I don't think what happened changes the answer of whether or not to tell schools now, or wait until I know what is going to happen. If people think they need to know, you can PM me. It's a drug policy violation, but I'm not going to get to specific.

Bert

Postby Bert » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:35 pm

1 - I may be misreading your posts. Are you just waiting receipt of your diploma, as in you finished all classes and will receive your diploma in the near future? Not that this has any bearing on this, just curious.

2 - if I am not mistaken, you agree in your apps to an ongoing obligation to update the admissions office as to any change in the statements made in your app. Thus, the question becomes what statements were made in your ap ps. If you said that you have not been "charged with" a violation of your undergraduate school policy, then you need to update your application to indicate that you have now been "charged with" a violation of your undergraduate school policy. If you said that you have not been found guilty of a violation, then you could wait for the results of the investigation, but many people on here (myself included) would still probably say you should disclose to cover your ass.

Your enrollment status at the time you received the notice of the violation is somewhat irrelevant. What matters is the fact that you received such a notice from your school which relates to a point in time in which the school believes you were obliged to abide by the school's policy.

Sorry for typos, but this is harder than it seems on my phoned.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:26 pm

Bert wrote:1 - I may be misreading your posts. Are you just waiting receipt of your diploma, as in you finished all classes and will receive your diploma in the near future? Not that this has any bearing on this, just curious.

2 - if I am not mistaken, you agree in your apps to an ongoing obligation to update the admissions office as to any change in the statements made in your app. Thus, the question becomes what statements were made in your ap ps. If you said that you have not been "charged with" a violation of your undergraduate school policy, then you need to update your application to indicate that you have now been "charged with" a violation of your undergraduate school policy. If you said that you have not been found guilty of a violation, then you could wait for the results of the investigation, but many people on here (myself included) would still probably say you should disclose to cover your ass.

Your enrollment status at the time you received the notice of the violation is somewhat irrelevant. What matters is the fact that you received such a notice from your school which relates to a point in time in which the school believes you were obliged to abide by the school's policy.

Sorry for typos, but this is harder than it seems on my phoned.

I finished my classes at my UG. I am taking 1 class at a CC to fulfill a requirement. I finished all my classes when the incident occurred. It's going to be a couple of weeks until I know the outcome.

Can I check the applications through LSAC?

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:34 pm

You really should disclose. I don't understand why you are asking for advice and then debating the advice you get. Do you really think gambling with your bar admission is smart? Wait if you want, but the smart thing to do is disclose.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:39 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:You really should disclose. I don't understand why you are asking for advice and then debating the advice you get. Do you really think gambling with your bar admission is smart? Wait if you want, but the smart thing to do is disclose.

I'm not really debating. Someone asked for more information, and that's all I'm providing. I didn't know if my enrollment status mattered or not. Sorry if you think I'm disagreeing, but, again, a poster asked for more information, and the only point of my posts are to supply people with more details.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:43 pm

89vision wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:You really should disclose. I don't understand why you are asking for advice and then debating the advice you get. Do you really think gambling with your bar admission is smart? Wait if you want, but the smart thing to do is disclose.

I'm not really debating. Someone asked for more information, and that's all I'm providing. I didn't know if my enrollment status mattered or not. Sorry if you think I'm disagreeing, but, again, a poster asked for more information, and the only point of my posts are to supply people with more details.

Fair enough. Maybe I read too much in to it. But I think you're at least hoping your enrollment status matters. If you haven't received a diploma and you have an unresolved matter at your undergrad institution that would be enough for me to disclose immediately. I'm no lawyer yet but that seems like it could look bad at your bar hearing the longer you keep this from the schools. However I might be a little too conservative. So take the chance it you'd like but I say disclose.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:03 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
89vision wrote:

Fair enough. Maybe I read too much in to it. But I think you're at least hoping your enrollment status matters. If you haven't received a diploma and you have an unresolved matter at your undergrad institution that would be enough for me to disclose immediately. I'm no lawyer yet but that seems like it could look bad at your bar hearing the longer you keep this from the schools. However I might be a little too conservative. So take the chance it you'd like but I say disclose.

Obviously when I was filling out applications I didn't think this would be an issue, and kind of glanced over the pending charges portion. I didn't know if it applied only to students, or only if you are currently enrolled. I also didn't know if you had to disclose charges or only sanctions. Again, I filled out the applications over a month ago, and don't remember the wording.

Is there a way to look over the applications after I submitted them? Or should I email the admissions email for each school individually? An adviser told me to wait until they reach a decision, and I wanted to ensure that's the right course of action.

Bert

Postby Bert » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:02 pm

I'm fairly certain that there is a way to check the applications on lsacs website.

Even though I'm usually in the "when in doubt, disclose" camp, OP really needs to decide if, had he filled in the applications now, would have answered any question differently. If the answer is yes, then an email to the adcoms is necessary.

OP, as for your situation, if you were not an enrolled student (and not subject to the school's drug policy) at the time you supposedly violated the policy, that should be brought up in your hearing, but that doesn't change the fact that you have been charged. I would be careful as to how you notify the adcoms in those instances where you need to do so based on the questions apps. Many of the people on this site are invaluable when it comes to these things, but your email to them shouldn't deflect the charge by simply stating "I wasn't a student at the time."

89vision

Postby 89vision » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:54 am

Bert wrote:I'm fairly certain that there is a way to check the applications on lsacs website.

Even though I'm usually in the "when in doubt, disclose" camp, OP really needs to decide if, had he filled in the applications now, would have answered any question differently. If the answer is yes, then an email to the adcoms is necessary.

OP, as for your situation, if you were not an enrolled student (and not subject to the school's drug policy) at the time you supposedly violated the policy, that should be brought up in your hearing, but that doesn't change the fact that you have been charged. I would be careful as to how you notify the adcoms in those instances where you need to do so based on the questions apps. Many of the people on this site are invaluable when it comes to these things, but your email to them shouldn't deflect the charge by simply stating "I wasn't a student at the time."

Should it just write "I have a pending charge against me from my UG. Do you need additional information regarding the alleged infraction?"

Bert

Postby Bert » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:59 pm

Its going to need to be a little more in depth than that.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:56 pm

Bert wrote:Its going to need to be a little more in depth than that.

All I have now is we have x accusation and we are investigating the claim. No hearing has been scheduled.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”