Dropping out of grad school - how bad does it look? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LT21

New

Dropping out of grad school - how bad does it look?

Post by LT21 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:16 pm

I am currently a PhD student at a university. I just completed first semester here and I am already considering dropping out due to personal reasons (I am no longer interested in a career in academia or research. I was also accused of grading unfairly as a TA, but the dept was still willing to let me TA, but for a different course).

If I drop out right now, I'm thinking about applying to work as an English teacher in Asia. However, because getting the documents takes some time, I likely won't be able to start until around April. I was thinking of working at Target or as a part-time tutor until then.

I am considering applying to law schools but I can't start until Fall '13 since I haven't taken the LSAT yet.

How bad will it look on my application if I drop out and then work as an English teacher (and work at Target before teaching)?

AlanShore

Silver

Re: Dropping out of grad school - how bad does it look?

Post by AlanShore » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:27 pm

I don't think it will hurt much, if at all. A close friend dropped out of a PhD program (but finished with masters) and he's in at Harvard. Many people realize they don't like academia. It may be wise to write a very very brief statement regarding the drop out just to cover your bases.

As for being a part-time tutor and working at Target.. it's fine. There are many unemployed grads right now.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:42 pm

I don't think it looks good to start an academic program and not complete it. Law school admissions might be wary that you'd decide law doesn't interest you either and drop out as well.

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:47 pm

I have a friend here at HLS that dropped out of a PhD program. Although I think they dropped out after receiving an MA.

(Anecdotal evidence FTW!)

LT21

New

Post by LT21 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:54 pm

oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I have to complete at least 2 more semesters before I can drop out with an MS. But I really want to get out asap

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:58 pm

The Gentleman wrote:I have a friend here at HLS that dropped out of a PhD program. Although I think they dropped out after receiving an MA.

(Anecdotal evidence FTW!)
I wonder if we are thinking of the same person... (but then again, this is fairly common so prob not.)

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:59 pm

LT21 wrote:oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I have to complete at least 2 more semesters before I can drop out with an MS. But I really want to get out asap
just get out. i say, if you get out now after only 1 sem it will look better than dropping out 2 or 3 years in. In the end, LS is a numbers game.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:08 pm

cinephile wrote:I don't think it looks good to start an academic program and not complete it. Law school admissions might be wary that you'd decide law doesn't interest you either and drop out as well.
The bolded is something that YOU should be concerned about right now. It sounds like you have some serious inclinations towards teaching (the PhD, teaching in Asia, part time tutor). Are you sure you want to make this potentially disastrous investment in law school?

mtyler19

Bronze

Post by mtyler19 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:09 pm

AlanShore wrote:
LT21 wrote:oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I have to complete at least 2 more semesters before I can drop out with an MS. But I really want to get out asap
just get out. i say, if you get out now after only 1 sem it will look better than dropping out 2 or 3 years in. In the end, LS is a numbers game.
Just browsing this thread and had to tell you I love your tar/name!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:10 pm

mtyler19 wrote:
AlanShore wrote:
best show ever.

mtyler19

Bronze

Post by mtyler19 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:12 pm

AlanShore wrote:
mtyler19 wrote:
AlanShore wrote:
best show ever.
So sad its over :cry:

LT21

New

Post by LT21 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:15 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
cinephile wrote:I don't think it looks good to start an academic program and not complete it. Law school admissions might be wary that you'd decide law doesn't interest you either and drop out as well.
The bolded is something that YOU should be concerned about right now. It sounds like you have some serious inclinations towards teaching (the PhD, teaching in Asia, part time tutor). Are you sure you want to make this potentially disastrous investment in law school?
I don't really care about teaching. I'm just doing it because there's not many other jobs I can get with my current degree and skills.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:17 pm

mtyler19 wrote:
AlanShore wrote:
mtyler19 wrote: Just browsing this thread and had to tell you I love your tar/name!
best show ever.
So sad its over :cry:
Agreed, that show kicked ass.

Denny Crane!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:06 pm

InGoodFaith wrote: Denny Crane!
Donny Crane.

To the OP, it won't look great (for the reasons others stated - questions about your ability to ride out an academic program, possible lack of interest in the law). However, there are also plenty of people who started a PhD program only to realize it's not the life they want.

You're going to have to try harder than the average person to convince the law school that this is what you really want to do. Make sure everything about your application screams that this is the right decision for you. Shadow attorneys, work at a law firm, etc... Just know that a big question on your application is going to be if you'll finish this endeavor, and answer it.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:23 pm

If you can stick with it to get your MS, at least you could pretend that you were just going for the MS in the first place and you never intended to get a PhD. Since you're working as a TA, at least you're (hopefully) not paying for your degree. If you can't apply till next cycle anyway, that would work with the time frame for finishing a masters.

Ultimately, it's your choice. You're the only one who knows how miserable this program makes you feel.

lifqiu

New

Post by lifqiu » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:55 pm

If you're interested in teaching english (or want to), why are you considering a career in law?

It sounds like you dislike research, but isn't research and writing a majority of the lawyer's day to day task?

Gold

Post by 094320 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:30 pm

dntburntheday

New

Post by dntburntheday » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:24 am

no chance of converting to a master's degree to get out early?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”