Question Regarding Academic Probation

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
GonzagaHSScholar
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:30 pm

Question Regarding Academic Probation

Postby GonzagaHSScholar » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:21 pm

I'm currently taking some grad courses while I'm applying for law school. This past semester, I got a C on one of my courses and my GPA fell below a 3.0 and the school placed me on academic probation. How badly will this hurt my chances of getting into law school?

User avatar
Geetar Man
Posts: 585
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 4:13 am

Re: Question Regarding Academic Probation

Postby Geetar Man » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:47 pm

GonzagaHSScholar wrote:I'm currently taking some grad courses while I'm applying for law school. This past semester, I got a C on one of my courses and my GPA fell below a 3.0 and the school placed me on academic probation. How badly will this hurt my chances of getting into law school?


Being on academic probation won't necessarily hurt your law school application. What WILL hurt your application is a low GPA. With that being said, try to finish out your degree/classes with the best grades possible (obviously?). The overall GPA is what law schools care about.

*If you're in a graduate program, then you're GPA for the grad program won't matter; LSs only count undergrad GPA from ALL classes that you have taken.

Hope that helps!

GonzagaHSScholar
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:30 pm

Re: Question Regarding Academic Probation

Postby GonzagaHSScholar » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:35 pm

This renews my confidence! Thanks! I was worried this would really put me in the hole.

User avatar
Geetar Man
Posts: 585
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 4:13 am

Re: Question Regarding Academic Probation

Postby Geetar Man » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:51 pm

GonzagaHSScholar wrote:This renews my confidence! Thanks! I was worried this would really put me in the hole.


No problem! If you can, load up on classes you know you can get an A in. Again, the main thing that LSs care about are the numbers.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Question Regarding Academic Probation

Postby Samara » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:00 pm

Your grad school GPA won't help you much, but it can hurt you. I've heard of people being negatively impacted by dropping out of a grad program. One semester of academic probation probably won't matter much, but definitely get that GPA back up and finish what you started.

User avatar
Geetar Man
Posts: 585
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 4:13 am

Re: Question Regarding Academic Probation

Postby Geetar Man » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:06 pm

Samara wrote:Your grad school GPA won't help you much, but it can hurt you. I've heard of people being negatively impacted by dropping out of a grad program. One semester of academic probation probably won't matter much, but definitely get that GPA back up and finish what you started.


This advice assumes you're in a grad program. One can take grad-level courses in undergrad. But yes, good advice; get that GPA back up and finish what you started. That's what I always say!

OP, are you in a graduate program?

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Question Regarding Academic Probation

Postby Samara » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:09 pm

Geetar Man wrote:
Samara wrote:Your grad school GPA won't help you much, but it can hurt you. I've heard of people being negatively impacted by dropping out of a grad program. One semester of academic probation probably won't matter much, but definitely get that GPA back up and finish what you started.


This advice assumes you're in a grad program. One can take grad-level courses in undergrad. But yes, good advice; get that GPA back up and finish what you started. That's what I always say!

OP, are you in a graduate program?

If OP is taking grad school classes while in UG, they would count towards OP's LSAC GPA, no? Either way, academic probation isn't a huge deal for one semester, but get that GPA up!

User avatar
Geetar Man
Posts: 585
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 4:13 am

Re: Question Regarding Academic Probation

Postby Geetar Man » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:50 pm

Samara wrote:
Geetar Man wrote:
Samara wrote:Your grad school GPA won't help you much, but it can hurt you. I've heard of people being negatively impacted by dropping out of a grad program. One semester of academic probation probably won't matter much, but definitely get that GPA back up and finish what you started.


This advice assumes you're in a grad program. One can take grad-level courses in undergrad. But yes, good advice; get that GPA back up and finish what you started. That's what I always say!

OP, are you in a graduate program?

If OP is taking grad school classes while in UG, they would count towards OP's LSAC GPA, no? Either way, academic probation isn't a huge deal for one semester, but get that GPA up!



They would definitely count! I took a few 500+ level classes as well. Although I haven't had my transcripts sent to CAS, I do believe that they are factored into the GPA.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests