Did I mess up Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mikel5400

New

Did I mess up

Post by mikel5400 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:27 pm

I recently called University of Maryland Law school. I was speaking with the Dean of Admissions who had answered the phone. She knew my name and my info. I called her by her first name by mistake, and she corrected me and told her to call Dean or Dean _____, rather than by her first name. This was an honest mistake. Did I harm myself or ruin chances I get admitted?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Re: Did I mess up

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:30 pm

mikel5400 wrote:I recently called University of Maryland Law school. I was speaking with the Dean of Admissions who had answered the phone. She knew my name and my info. I called her by her first name by mistake, and she corrected me and told her to call Dean or Dean _____, rather than by her first name. This was an honest mistake. Did I harm myself or ruin chances I get admitted?
Nah. It's just a simple faux pas, and one that plenty of people make. Just be more careful in the future.

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:30 pm

Chill out. They aren't going to reject you because of something silly like this.

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:37 pm

mikel5400 wrote:I recently called University of Maryland Law school. I was speaking with the Dean of Admissions who had answered the phone. She knew my name and my info. I called her by her first name by mistake, and she corrected me and told her to call Dean or Dean _____, rather than by her first name. This was an honest mistake. Did I harm myself or ruin chances I get admitted?
Seriously? This is why I hate administrators. You give them a title and they go off on a delusional power trip..

In the future though, it is common courtesy to refer to someone you don't know very well as Mr. or Ms. (Last Name).

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:38 pm

Last year I was interviewing for a scholarship at a school where the dean has a gender-ambiguous first name and addressed her as "Mr. So-and-so" in an email.

I got the scholarship. You're fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”