Chances

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Leahgram

Chances

Postby Leahgram » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:49 am

I am new to this board and am not 100% sure where to post this so if this is not the right place I am sorry. I am a first semester sophomore at Appalachian State University in NC. I transferred in 21 hours from high school so I am trying to graduate in three years instead of four. This first semester college life got in the way and I let two of my grades slip. BAD. I made 2 A- 1 A 1 C and 1 D. I am taking the D course over again and to the best of my understanding law school will the the average grade that I make in that course once I retake it (0r will they see both?) I am determined to do better. I already have an internship lined up with the District attorney this summer and plan to take an LSAT prep course next year. If I get on the ball and do well on my other classes and do a WONDERFUL job on my LSAT what are the chances that I can get into U of Michigan at Ann-Arbor. That is where I really want to go and I would hate to know that I blew it in a single semester. Will the one bad grade kill me. Hopefully I can get an A in it this semester therefore Law schools will see either a B or a C. If I do not make another C will it kill my chances at U of M with 1 C. Also do any of you know if it is true that the law schools average the grade if you retake a course? Thanks for any help you can give me. Did any of you get into U of M with a few bad grades?

AreJay711

Re: Chances

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:56 am

You didn't blow it with one bad semester but you will probably need to step it up. The higher the better obviously. Also, really consider about getting some work experiance before you go to law school. While internships are nice, they aren't really the same as showing up to work everyday for a few years and really getting a grasp on what a 60 hour week entails. Also:

[T]o the best of my understanding law school will the the average grade that I make in that course once I retake it (0r will they see both?)

This depends on your undergrad institution. At mine, they eliminated the previous grade and gave us an R when we retook the class. I think if LSAC sees the grade they include it in the GPA they send to law schools though even it is not on your undergrad GPA.

Best of luck on getting into U of M though :)

Bert

Postby Bert » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:57 am

Unless your school will replace the D on your transcript with the grade you obtain in the new class so that there is absolutely no evidence that you ever got a D, law schools see both grades. I havn't ever heard that law schools (or LSDAS, the credential assembly service) "average" grades on classes you retake. Instead, in calculating your average GPA for your undergraduate career they average in every attempt at the class independently (i.e. you took a class and got a D in it, and you took another class and got an A in it).

Leahgram

Postby Leahgram » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:00 pm

Thanks so much for the help :)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”