First in my family to go to college, let alone law school

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dietcoke0

First in my family to go to college, let alone law school

Postby dietcoke0 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:48 pm

I keep having to put parent's education as "high school" and what degree did your parents receive or what university did your parents go to as "N/A".

Should I feel good or bad about this? I have a short GPA addendum for my better schools cause I do have a 170 LSAT, but a lower GPA, and blame it for working 30-40 hours to pay for my entire university education. (including teaching international students English for my university)

Anyone know if this is a good thing to break out of the mold, or bad that I am the only one to seek higher education?

Thanks

rinkrat19

Re: First in my family to go to college, let alone law school

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:50 pm

It won't get you into any schools your numbers wouldn't already qualify you for, but it is a small plus.

Verity

Postby Verity » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:54 pm

The adcomm won't hold it against you even if you were raised by

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:59 pm

I'm not looking for a push, just making sure it's not a bad thing. My family already treats me like an elitist bastard for graduating from a state school (amid a decent program) but it would suck if I start getting dinged from schools on that fact alone.

auntjulia

Postby auntjulia » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:13 pm

I'm not an adcomm but if I was, I'd look at it as a good thing.

I think it's a good soft in that it shows you've done well in the face of hardship, and achieved highly without the parental support system that most people depend on.

I'd expect the adcomms to look at your app with a kinder eye because of that background. Either way, there is zero chance that it hurts you.

Good luck

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:45 pm

auntjulia wrote:I think it's a decent soft in that it shows you've done well in the face of hardship, and achieved highly without the parental support system that most people depend on.

This. It shows some socio-economic diversity. It won't be a huge deal, but it will probably be a plus, and it most certainly won't be a minus.

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:49 pm

OP, it won't hurt at all, I don't know why you're trippin. I can almost guarantee you that they see this type of situation year after year.

Anecdotally, I'm in the same boat.

Good luck to you!

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:37 pm

I wasn't trippin, just curious. I feel I have the numbers already to get into the schools I want, and applying to a few stretches. I was just making sure that I wasn't going to get dinged at schools I have the numbers to get into because of it.

puff0ffluff

Postby puff0ffluff » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:55 pm

i think it's more of a good thing than a bad thing. law schools like diversity, remember? if there is someone else who comes from an upper class family with the exact same numbers as you and roughly the same softs, i think you'll beat him to the spot =)

stay positive, and don't let mean people discourage you. =) Good luck

legalmindedfella

Postby legalmindedfella » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:41 pm

OP, in addition to offering general congratulations on working so hard, I'd also strongly suggest looking for scholarship opportunities at the schools to which you do apply. NYU has the AnBryce and I'm sure many other schools you're looking at have something similar - http://www.law.nyu.edu/admissions/jdadm ... /index.htm .

That such a scholarship exists should also demonstrate that your background is something schools are very likely to find compelling, which could make the difference. Good luck!

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:25 pm

legalmindedfella wrote:OP, in addition to offering general congratulations on working so hard, I'd also strongly suggest looking for scholarship opportunities at the schools to which you do apply. NYU has the AnBryce and I'm sure many other schools you're looking at have something similar - http://www.law.nyu.edu/admissions/jdadm ... /index.htm .

That such a scholarship exists should also demonstrate that your background is something schools are very likely to find compelling, which could make the difference. Good luck!

Wow, awesome info, thank you so much. I will have to look into that as I submit my apps this week.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:27 pm

Same situation when I applied. It won't really help, but could give you a slight boost in borderline cases.

And congrats, I know it isn't easy.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”