LSAC GPA Q

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dipole

LSAC GPA Q

Postby dipole » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:57 am

Hi, I saw that undergraduate GPA is calculated by including classes at the 4 year instiution as well as any courses taken at community college. I took two english classes in high school at my local community college. As I understand it, these grades will count towards my LSAC GPA. What I'm trying to figure out, though, is if I take discard these community college credits and retake the credits at my 4 year institution, will the community college grades still be used to compute my LSAC GPA, or will they be discarded and the 4 year institution grades for those classes be used in their place? Thank you.

cinephile

Re: LSAC GPA Q

Postby cinephile » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:08 pm

Even if your college or university doesn't count them and lets you retake/replace them, LSAC still counts them.

bruss

Postby bruss » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:08 pm

If you are able to discard them then they won't count. The problem that could come up is if you discarded them how will it effect your university prerequisites and other bs. But yes if some how you can get the cc classes tossed then lsac won't count them.

bruss

Postby bruss » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:10 pm

cinephile wrote:Even if your college or university doesn't count them and lets you retake/replace them, LSAC still counts them.

Wrong. CC works different. Most cc have unlimited grade drops. Lsac doesn't count grade drops, they do count grade forgiveness, which are two different things.

Edit: also even if you drop a grade from university lsac doesn't count it.
Edit:clarity: yes you are correct, but what you speak of is a different circumstance..

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:14 pm

dipole wrote:Hi, I saw that undergraduate GPA is calculated by including classes at the 4 year instiution as well as any courses taken at community college. I took two english classes in high school at my local community college. As I understand it, these grades will count towards my LSAC GPA. What I'm trying to figure out, though, is if I take discard these community college credits and retake the credits at my 4 year institution, will the community college grades still be used to compute my LSAC GPA, or will they be discarded and the 4 year institution grades for those classes be used in their place? Thank you.

Unless you can get rid of your community college grades by discarding them via a retroactive non-punitive withdrawal, your community college credits will still be used in the GPA calculus. In fact, if you have any failed classes that you've retaken and they show up on your transcript, LSAC will use both grades to calculate your GPA whereas your school might only calculate the retake.

dipole

Postby dipole » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:26 pm

I don't think I'll withdraw. I got B's in both classes since I was told it wouldnt count towards my undergrad GPA, but I definitely think I can pull A's in the classes offered at my undergrad uni. From what I understand, withdrawing = bad, so is there any way I can just forget I ever took those classes? On my transcript right now, it shows the classes, and the number of credit hours, no grade since it was taken at CC. I imagine if I tell my uni that I want to discard those credits they will be removed from my transcript. So with no trace of those classes every having been taken on my undergrad transcript, would I still have to report my grades in them?

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:38 pm

dipole wrote:So with no trace of those classes every having been taken on my undergrad transcript, would I still have to report my grades in them?

Yes, you have to report community college grades. Law schools probably won't bother checking, but the bar during C&F almost certainly will, and there is certainly a good chance you may get disqualified from ever practicing law because of your omission. You don't want to be 200k in debt and never able to practice law.

bruss

Postby bruss » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:41 pm

KevinP wrote:
dipole wrote:So with no trace of those classes every having been taken on my undergrad transcript, would I still have to report my grades in them?

Yes, you have to report community college grades. Law schools probably won't bother checking, but the bar during C&F almost certainly will, and there is certainly a good chance you may get disqualified from ever practicing law because of your omission. You don't want to be 200k in debt and never able to practice law.

WUT so wrong...if the class has been dropped you dont have to say anything about it.

dipole

Postby dipole » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:44 pm

bruss wrote:
KevinP wrote:

WUT so wrong...if the class has been dropped you dont have to say anything about it.

So there is an option to to drop the class after taking it without any W's or anything? I would ask my CC but they are closed till monday.

bruss

Postby bruss » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:45 pm

dipole wrote:I don't think I'll withdraw. I got B's in both classes since I was told it wouldnt count towards my undergrad GPA, but I definitely think I can pull A's in the classes offered at my undergrad uni. From what I understand, withdrawing = bad, so is there any way I can just forget I ever took those classes? On my transcript right now, it shows the classes, and the number of credit hours, no grade since it was taken at CC. I imagine if I tell my uni that I want to discard those credits they will be removed from my transcript. So with no trace of those classes every having been taken on my undergrad transcript, would I still have to report my grades in them?

first minus HYS i dont think they care about withdrawals...and to your point about getting the CC grades removed from your uniy transcript that is impossible. They are two different institution. Also you have to send LSAC ALL OF YOUR TRANSCRIPTS. so if you attended 30 schools you have to send every single one of them. so you cnat just get the grade removed from your university transcript and expect it to go away. to get the grade to go away you must do a retroactive drop like an above poster said. you must go to your CC to do that.

bruss

Postby bruss » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:46 pm

dipole wrote:
bruss wrote:
KevinP wrote:

So there is an option to to drop the class after taking it without any W's or anything? I would ask my CC but they are closed till monday.

some CC have that options...some dont...but the W doesnt count on LSAC and im pretty sure minus HYS they dont give a shit...unless your tied down to the last soft maybe

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:48 pm

bruss wrote:
KevinP wrote:

1. If I understood correctly, he is asking if he can omit grades that haven't been dropped. Rather, they would have been removed from the undergrad transcript, but they would have remained on his CC transcript.

2. "Transcripts must be sent from institutions even if: "withdraw," "incomplete," etc., are the only grades listed"
Source: http://www.lsac.org/jd/apply/cas-reques ... cripts.asp

bruss

Postby bruss » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:54 pm

KevinP wrote:
bruss wrote:
KevinP wrote:

1. If I understood correctly, he is asking if he can omit grades that haven't been dropped. Rather, they would have been removed from the undergrad transcript, but they would have remained on his CC transcript.

2. "Transcripts must be sent from institutions even if: "withdraw," "incomplete," etc., are the only grades listed"
Source: http://www.lsac.org/jd/apply/cas-reques ... cripts.asp

I think we are arguing the same point just stating it differently. but to clarify: if your grade gets dropped you dont have to say anything. but yes you must report all transcripts from all institutions attended, even if you have all those grades WITHDRAWN...but if some how you can get all those grades DROPPED then OP you are in new territory and i think a call to LSAC would do you some good. and make sure you clarify the difference of a W and getting the grades Drop (AKA GONE FOR LIFE)

EDIT: a drop would mean you have no mark/grade, while a W is a grade/mark of withdrawal

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:04 pm

bruss wrote:I think we are arguing the same point just stating it differently. but to clarify: if your grade gets dropped you dont have to say anything. but yes you must report all transcripts from all institutions attended, even if you have all those grades WITHDRAWN...but if some how you can get all those grades DROPPED then OP you are in new territory and i think a call to LSAC would do you some good. and make sure you clarify the difference of a W and getting the grades Drop (AKA GONE FOR LIFE)

EDIT: a drop would mean you have no mark/grade, while a W is a grade/mark of withdrawal

All right, that makes sense. I didn't realize there was any way of dropping a class completely after you've gotten the grade without some sort of notation on the transcript (For example, San Jose State adds a "W" for a retroactive drop).

dipole

Postby dipole » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:05 pm

Ok thanks, that information was helpful. To bruss, from what I've heard about W's, they are pretty bad man, so I'm not going to fuck with those.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:19 pm

dipole wrote:Ok thanks, that information was helpful. To bruss, from what I've heard about W's, they are pretty bad man, so I'm not going to fuck with those.

I think you need a W to "drop" the class. Otherwise, it will remain on your community college transcript, right? Even if it's not on your university transcript, if it remains on the CC transcript it'll be calculated into your LSAC GPA.

Also, a non-punitive W won't hurt you.

ETA: how much do two Bs affect your GPA. Even if it drops you from a 4.0, you'd still be above most schools medians.

dipole

Postby dipole » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:00 am

I know a W won't hurt my gpa, I think its looked down upon though. Sorry if thats what you mean by won't hurt me. Anyway, GPA wise, I'm just trying to have as little Bs as possible early on. I'm a freshman CS major at a pretty tough school so you never know when you might get a B in something. Want to be prepared.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”