Same personal statements

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
matt690

Same personal statements

Postby matt690 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:41 am

Can I use the same statement for all schools? I was under the impression that a personal statement should work for every school, as it's an individual's unique writing providing writing capability with a unique perspective with him/herself.

I couldn't find any information regarding this. What did you do, what do you think? Thanks.

Davidbentley

Re: Same personal statements

Postby Davidbentley » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:33 am

Fwiw, I submitted the same PS to all of the schools I applied to. I did not tailor it to the schools, or for that matter tie in the "why law?" angle. Write something good. If you can't do that, write something interesting. And if you can't do that, then write the typical "how i decided on law" PS and tailor it to the school.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:07 pm

It's, by far, the norm to use the same personal statement for every school. There's sometimes room for a little customization if you have a specific, demonstrable interest in an area in which the school to which you're applying has numerous programs. Generally, though, one letter for everywhere.

Duramax80

Postby Duramax80 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:31 am

I dont know what schools youre applying to, but after reading the PS guidelines for the schools Im applying to, they all want something different. Okay, maybe not all of them, but some focus on your educational and work experience, while others ask you to avoid rehashing your resume. I was planning on using the same PS for all my schools (All Tier 2 or Tier 3), but after checking out what they wanted, I took the more tedious route of writing 3 different statements for like 15 different schools.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:47 pm

Duramax80 wrote:I dont know what schools youre applying to, but after reading the PS guidelines for the schools Im applying to, they all want something different. Okay, maybe not all of them, but some focus on your educational and work experience, while others ask you to avoid rehashing your resume. I was planning on using the same PS for all my schools (All Tier 2 or Tier 3), but after checking out what they wanted, I took the more tedious route of writing 3 different statements for like 15 different schools.

You're reading too much into the prompts. They're all essentially asking for the same thing.

Sure, there are a few oddballs out there. But if you wrote a proper Personal Statement, it should be responsive to the vast majority of prompts out there.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”