Important Addendum Question, thanks for opinions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
matt690

Important Addendum Question, thanks for opinions

Postby matt690 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:03 am

My lsat scores are 150 and 155. My gpa is 3.9

I WILL be applying with these scores. I've been planning on including an addendum indicating that I am not a good standardized test taker. Does anyone have any advice on what I can write and say?

My high school gpa was also a 97 / 4.0
My SAT score was a 1220 / 1600

For SAT reading comp I was in 64 percentile like for the lsat, but my math was in the 84th, bringing me to about a 75th percentile (even though I was 400 points away from max score).

Can I say that although not exact, the trend can be seen similarly with the same exact reading SAT 64 percentile and subpar overall percentile of 75 while having a 4.0 and 3.9 high school and college gpa? The trends are not exact but similar in context. What do you think?

I did take a prep course and study for SAT and LSAT, and the truth is, my standardized testing does not match my abilities and potential. Thanks.

matt690

Re: Important Addendum Question, thanks for opinions

Postby matt690 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:55 pm

Anyone have any info on this? Really stuck on what to do, heard mixed things. Thanks so much.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:58 pm

The reason this is a struggle to write is because it shouldn't be written. You don't need to convince anyone that you are poor standardized test taker. Why on earth would you admit that. They see the scores and they see your grades. They can figure it out for themselves. believe me they see lots of apps. they get it. Beyond that, nothing you can possibly write will get you into a school that is beyond your reach. In other words, you'll get into a school that has other people with 3.9s and 155s. Even more beyond that, law schools exams, while not standardized, are not graded like high school tests or college exams. So writing on and on about how well you did in college and high school makes it look like you don't know what you are getting yourself into, because you are entering a totally different atmosphere. I mean what makes the standardized tests difficult for ya? Is it the pressure of having everything ride on that one day of tests? well......

Moreover, high school? Thats a really long time ago.

matt690

Postby matt690 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:11 pm

Thanks so much for your help. Are there any other good schools that come to mind that are sometimes accommodating to reverse splitters?

If I consider a "good" school like wake forest cause of the high ranking and reputation, would I be better off at a worse ranked school such as Buffalo or Hofstra if I want to practice in NY or Florida? Or can a better ranked school like this help as much with jobs as a worse ranked more regional school such as the NY ones mentioned?

Am I better off including a diversity statement (financial hardship and exposure), even if it isn't exact diversity, just to show a different perspective and background? Can this do harm, or could it only do nothing or help?

Thanks.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:19 pm

matt690 wrote:Thanks so much for your help. Are there any other good schools that come to mind that are sometimes accommodating to reverse splitters?

If I consider a "good" school like wake forest cause of the high ranking and reputation, would I be better off at a worse ranked school such as Buffalo or Hofstra if I want to practice in NY or Florida? Or can a better ranked school like this help as much with jobs as a worse ranked more regional school such as the NY ones mentioned?

Am I better off including a diversity statement (financial hardship and exposure), even if it isn't exact diversity, just to show a different perspective and background? Can this do harm, or could it only do nothing or help?

Thanks.

You are wasting your own time writing a diversity statement if you are not a URM. The only reason diversity statements exist is to flesh out what kind of URM you are if it is unclear, and also so the schools can have some kind of cover to make it appear like they care about diversity beyond URM. They don't. Go to the best school in an area you can stand to live in. The only schools that are destination schools are T14. Only go to Wake Forest if you live in NC now or you are sure you'd want to settle there later.

Philosopher King

Postby Philosopher King » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:20 pm

matt690 wrote:My lsat scores are 150 and 155. My gpa is 3.9

I WILL be applying with these scores. I've been planning on including an addendum indicating that I am not a good standardized test taker. Does anyone have any advice on what I can write and say?

My high school gpa was also a 97 / 4.0
My SAT score was a 1220 / 1600

For SAT reading comp I was in 64 percentile like for the lsat, but my math was in the 84th, bringing me to about a 75th percentile (even though I was 400 points away from max score).

Can I say that although not exact, the trend can be seen similarly with the same exact reading SAT 64 percentile and subpar overall percentile of 75 while having a 4.0 and 3.9 high school and college gpa? The trends are not exact but similar in context. What do you think?

I did take a prep course and study for SAT and LSAT, and the truth is, my standardized testing does not match my abilities and potential. Thanks.

I am going to write an addendum to make this same argument so yes, by all means explain yourself. You actually have an SAT score as exhibit A in your defense. I think your argument is good SAT score didn't predict college success and LSAT score will not either. Here is how I am starting out my addendum:

I am not a standard person and, as I see it, there is no standard life, no standard day, no standard court case, etc. thus rendering any standardized test as a measurement of anything important questionable.

Gail

Postby Gail » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:24 pm

I don't think that the addendum will help you. You'd be better served taking some time off and retaking the test. Standardized tests are just tests. You're psyching yourself out for them. That's psychological, but the good news is that it can be solved.

3.9 is enough to justify going out on a limb and say that you're smarter than the average person. You could be a great lawyer, but you're limiting your potential by applying with that score.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”