LSAT score addendum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
roz77

LSAT score addendum

Postby roz77 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:52 am

Hey all, here's my situation. My only LSAT is the December one, I didn't sign up until mid-October. I didn't even have thoughts of going to law school until September. Suffice to say, dealing with midterms and finals, lab research, and being the president of the fraternity all led to me not scoring as well as I would have liked to. I definitely didn't have as much time to study as I would have liked. My question is, should I write an addendum explaining this? Looking at this objectively, it kind of seems like this is a rather pathetic excuse, and right now I am leaning towards not writing an addendum. Does anyone think I should?

Also, I am going to apply this cycle, but I am seriously considering doing something for a year, retaking the LSAT, and re-applying next cycle, in case any one had thoughts of saying that.

roz77

Re: LSAT score addendum

Postby roz77 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:37 am

Also, I took the GRE earlier last semester and scored in the 97th percentile in both categories. Could this help an addendum at all?

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:10 am

No, these addendums will not help you. They might actually make your situation worse. Why did you decide on law school as a last minute thing? Were you planning on a different career?
The only option for you is to retake. If you haven't graduated yet and taking some fluff courses will improve your GPA - you might consider not graduating. That's extreme but your GPA isn't written in stone until graduation. After that there is nothing you can do to improve.

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:53 am

roz77 wrote:Hey all, here's my situation. My only LSAT is the December one, I didn't sign up until mid-October. I didn't even have thoughts of going to law school until September. Suffice to say, dealing with midterms and finals, lab research, and being the president of the fraternity all led to me not scoring as well as I would have liked to. I definitely didn't have as much time to study as I would have liked. My question is, should I write an addendum explaining this? Looking at this objectively, it kind of seems like this is a rather pathetic excuse, and right now I am leaning towards not writing an addendum. Does anyone think I should?

Also, I am going to apply this cycle, but I am seriously considering doing something for a year, retaking the LSAT, and re-applying next cycle, in case any one had thoughts of saying that.

This addendum would make it sound like you wouldn't even be able to handle law school. 100% no, don't do it.

roz77

Postby roz77 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:51 pm

sunynp wrote:No, these addendums will not help you. They might actually make your situation worse. Why did you decide on law school as a last minute thing? Were you planning on a different career?
The only option for you is to retake. If you haven't graduated yet and taking some fluff courses will improve your GPA - you might consider not graduating. That's extreme but your GPA isn't written in stone until graduation. After that there is nothing you can do to improve.

I'm an engineer and have been planning on going to grad school. Started doing research in the summer and slowly realized I didn't like it. Talked to a friend about going to law school and doing patent law, talked with a few lawyers in Chicago, did a lot of research on my own into patent law and law school and realized it was what I wanted to do. So yea, everything's been a bit rushed. I only have three classes that I need to graduate, and I don't think my parents would appreciate paying for another two semesters of college to give me more time to study when I get a job and wait a year. But yea, thanks for reinforcing decision not to write an addendum.

roz77

Postby roz77 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:51 pm

givemea170 wrote:
roz77 wrote:Hey all, here's my situation. My only LSAT is the December one, I didn't sign up until mid-October. I didn't even have thoughts of going to law school until September. Suffice to say, dealing with midterms and finals, lab research, and being the president of the fraternity all led to me not scoring as well as I would have liked to. I definitely didn't have as much time to study as I would have liked. My question is, should I write an addendum explaining this? Looking at this objectively, it kind of seems like this is a rather pathetic excuse, and right now I am leaning towards not writing an addendum. Does anyone think I should?

This addendum would make it sound like you wouldn't even be able to handle law school. 100% no, don't do it.

Thanks to you as well, I appreciate it.

flyingduck

Postby flyingduck » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:24 pm

Wait, re-take, apply next cycle.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”