Quitting my job. Advice Please :(

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
greenchair

Quitting my job. Advice Please :(

Postby greenchair » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:12 pm

I have been at my job for a year and eight months as a local television news reporter. Although I generally like the duties of my job, the people I work with, and the exciting opportunities I get as a member of the media, I DESPISE the management. I won't go into much detail about this, but after being talked down by parents and friends from quitting for the past six months, I finally snapped yesterday. I can't take it any longer and maintain my sanity.

With that said, I want to quit in March. This will be convenient because then I get to study for my June LSAT full time -- something I haven't had time to do because of my crazy, inconsistent, constantly on-call work schedule.

The big question is -- what's next? I don't want a job outside of TV before I go to law school in 2013. I have gotten enough experience in this medium-sized media market now that I *should be able to make a lateral or upward move to a bigger city. However, due to my contract, I cannot get another TV job until the end of June (unless my boss decides to be nice, which, despite his suckiness, he has known to forgive contracts).

In summary, I will be out of a job from March until AT LEAST late June (assuming my boss is a douche about contract forgiveness)-- if not later. I am pretty confident I'll find something though, since I will be applying for jobs while studying for the LSAT.

My question to you:

How bad does a 3-4 month gap (or potentially more) in employment look on my resume for 1) law school and 2) getting a 1L summer?

I know some of you will try to tell me not to quit. I don't see that as an option. I hate it here.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Verity

Re: Quitting my job. Advice Please :(

Postby Verity » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:17 pm

Thank you for your inquiry.

There are currently ZERO JOBS AVAILABLE. Please try again soon.

GOODBYE.

greenchair

Postby greenchair » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:20 pm

Verity wrote:Thank you for your inquiry.

GOODBYE.

We are not in the same industry. The local TV news industry is a niche industry that involves agents. I have reasons to believe I will not have problems finding another job --- even if it means going down in market size (this is like transferring to a lower-ranked law school) --- it's always possible.

If you don't have answers to the questions I posed, I don't care for your smartass comments. Thanks

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:22 pm

I also quit (in March a couple of years ago) and for my gap I did part-time writing gigs - fun, little pay, but better than nothing.

Verity

Postby Verity » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:24 pm

greenchair wrote:

GOODBYE.

We are not in the same industry. The local TV news industry is a niche industry that involves agents. I have reasons to believe I will not have problems finding another job --- even if it means going down in market size (this is like transferring to a lower-ranked law school) --- it's always possible.

If you don't have answers to the questions I posed, I don't care for your smartass comments. Thanks

Actually talking about legal jobs, smartass.

greenchair

Postby greenchair » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:25 pm

Verity wrote:
greenchair wrote:

GOODBYE.

Actually talking about legal jobs, smartass.

What the..... ? I wasn't asking about the availability of the legal job market. My question was simple: How will a 3 month gap affect my law school admissions, or a 1L summer job application.

I'm so confused as to why a) you are being so combative and b) a smartass about something unrelated to my post

greenchair

Postby greenchair » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:28 pm

99.9luft wrote:I also quit (in March a couple of years ago) and for my gap I did part-time writing gigs - fun, little pay, but better than nothing.

Did that hurt your chances at law school or a 1L job?

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:28 pm

I think the fact that there are no legal jobs is pretty relevant to a thread about quitting your job to go to law school.

Verity

Postby Verity » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:29 pm

Nice RC fail. The larger point is: DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:32 pm

greenchair wrote:
99.9luft wrote:I also quit (in March a couple of years ago) and for my gap I did part-time writing gigs - fun, little pay, but better than nothing.

Ask me that in a year from now :) I delayed applying to LS by another year. I got an amazing job several months of part-time work, so I will be still working there until LS.

I think you should quit if you hate it. Experiment with diff (some odd) jobs, and maybe you will find smth unexpectedly awesome. You're young, I am assuming. It's not a good time to be miserable at your job - that's what biglaw is for :mrgreen:

greenchair

Postby greenchair » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:32 pm

I already understand the legal market is bleak. I don't want to hear about it.

All I want is my question answered without people telling me not to go to law school. I did not ask "Should I go to law school?" So I believe "RC fail" is on your part

Verity

Postby Verity » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:34 pm

enjoy regret

greenchair

Postby greenchair » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:36 pm

99.9luft wrote:
greenchair wrote:

Ask me that in a year from now :) I delayed applying to LS by another year. I got an amazing job several months of part-time work, so I will be still working there until LS.

I think you should quit if you hate it. Experiment with diff (some odd) jobs, and maybe you will find smth unexpectedly awesome. You're young, I am assuming. It's not a good time to be miserable at your job - that's what biglaw is for :mrgreen:

I hope it goes well for you!

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:41 pm

greenchair wrote:
I hope it goes well for you!

thanks, same to you!

Incubateus

Postby Incubateus » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:59 pm

Verity: http://gizmodo.com/5873503/why-we-troll

Green: I quit my job in finance last march and planned to do the same thing. My test score wasn't as high as I liked by June so I took it in October. I'm still waiting to hear back from schools, but after talking to admissions officers they really don't notice all that much. A small gap won't hurt you one bit (especially in this economy, people get laid off all of the time so little to no explanation would be required). I ended working part time as an accountant to both pull in a little side cash and fill that gap in my resume. You'll be alright.

Gail

Postby Gail » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:16 pm

Verity wrote:enjoy regret

Most people are content with making the snappy comment and letting it stay.

To the poster. I've always thought that it looks bad to have gaps in employment, but law schools probably won't care about 3 months. If you're worried about it then I'd say find some small volunteering to do and just put that your resume in its place. Or other work.

On a more selfish note. Mind giving me a reference? I'll take all the crap in the world for some employment here. I'll even give you some of my LSAT points to make up for any questions you miss. :mrgreen:

ashleyrenee

Postby ashleyrenee » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:19 pm

you can also write an addendum explaining your gap in employment (seems like you have validity)...I don't think it will look too bad at all :)

Good luck!!

ashleyrenee

Postby ashleyrenee » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:27 pm

ashleyrenee wrote:you can also write an addendum explaining your gap in employment (seems like you have validity)...I don't think it will look too bad at all :)

Good luck!!

i.e. validity - i wouldn't necessarily complain about how your hate your boss and job - but say you took some time off to prepare for the LSAT, etc!

dawrp

Postby dawrp » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:44 pm

Having a gap in your resume will be irrelevant to law school admissions. They'll assume you were studying for the LSAT; I wouldn't even write an addendum. I think 1L employers will care even less.

I didn't do anything for about 4 months between the time I graduated college and found a job. Didn't effect my admissions, and I'll be shocked if future employers even notice it.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:27 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as you don't spend that time playing XBox, most places will overlook it, or ask and be satisfied with, "I was preparing for law school." Even taking some time off between working FT and law school to travel would be seen as most as a valid 'excuse' for a period of unemployment.

As far as not being able to get another job until July, check with a lawyer to see if that clause in your contract is valid. A lot of times, they aren't.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:37 pm

Verity wrote:enjoy regret

Enjoy your ban.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:54 pm

Don't know what's going on here, but I wouldn't worry about the gap. You sound like you're still pretty young, and gaps are normal throughout the job/college/grad/law school transition time. Especially ITE.

So I'd say there's about a 0% chance it will matter for law school (as long as it doesn't become like 6+ months), and a 0.005% chance it will matter for a legal job.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:09 am

3 months in this economy is absolutely nothing. So don't worry about the gap. Though people will assume you were fired.

Unless they are molesting you, you should stick it out til June.

Also, don't assume you'll ever go to law school. You might be a poor LSAT taker, and never get into the t14. So if quitting hurts your career I wouldn't do it.

Why do you despise the management. Are you sure it's not just first jobitis?

inthebeginning

Postby inthebeginning » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:13 am

Also, you are very likely not bound by that contract. Making you sign a contract is a tool that is often used in media (particularly television) to keep their underpaid employees from moving around - there's nothing stopping you from quitting and finding another job in the industry. There's actually an amendment against preventing you from doing so. That said, I'm sure you still want your manager to "forgive" your contract or whatever the term is, as I understand other media companies in your niche may not want to break the custom of making young employees believe they are actually bound by this farce of an employment contract.

inthebeginning

Postby inthebeginning » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:23 am

Desert Fox wrote:3 months in this economy is absolutely nothing. So don't worry about the gap. Though people will assume you were fired.

Unless they are molesting you, you should stick it out til June.

Also, don't assume you'll ever go to law school. You might be a poor LSAT taker, and never get into the t14. So if quitting hurts your career I wouldn't do it.

Why do you despise the management. Are you sure it's not just first jobitis?

Two very good points. I had an extremely bad first job experience - my start up literally wanted me to move across the country and live in an office. I was about to quit. But you know what the best way to get back at them is? Take their paychecks, suck it up, and find another job. Everyone leaves their first jobs pretty quickly, but quitting can hurt you in finding your second position. And there's nothing like going into the office one fine Friday morning, sitting at your computer, and writing that one sweet sentence to HR, cc' your idiot managers. "Please be advised that I am resigning from my position at XX for another opportunity, effective {mm/dd/yyyy}.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”