Disability Addendum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
89vision
Posts: 431
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:49 pm

Disability Addendum

Postby 89vision » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:54 am

Have disability services at my UG, but didn't know I qualified, and didn't get them, for my LSAT. Should I right an addendum? I receive extended time, if needed, for UG tests.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for your input.

asoli
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:38 pm

Re: Disability Addendum

Postby asoli » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:47 am

I think you would get more help if you gave more information. Specifically, what are you writing an addendum for? Did you do poorly on the LSAT or to explain why you have disabili services in undergrad but not on the LSAT?

User avatar
89vision
Posts: 431
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Disability Addendum

Postby 89vision » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:02 am

asoli wrote:I think you would get more help if you gave more information. Specifically, what are you writing an addendum for? Did you do poorly on the LSAT or to explain why you have disabili services in undergrad but not on the LSAT?


No one told me I could challenge LSAC for accommodations until about 3 weeks before. The testing is very costly, and I don't think my insurance can pay for it. I currently have accommodations for my UG. My LSAT is at median at my top school, slightly above at a few, 2-3 below at my second top school. My GPA is close to medians. I wanted to say basically my school would give me these accommodations, but I didn't get them on the LSAT because I found out really late.

Should I call LSAC and ask if I qualify?

I welcome any advice, and appreciate any insight, as I am new to all of this.

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Disability Addendum

Postby bp shinners » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:17 pm

Chances are the LSAC would have denied your request for accommodations, as that's generally what they do. This even applies in cases where people have a long-documented history and receive extra time in undergrad.

I personally wouldn't send the addendum, unless you've recently started a new treatment that's greatly changing how you deal with your disability in a positive manner. In that case, I would retake and only write the addendum if you score much higher (using the treatment to show that it won't be a problem going forward).

Fair? I don't want to get into that discussion. But that's how I would play it out.

User avatar
89vision
Posts: 431
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Disability Addendum

Postby 89vision » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:01 pm

bp shinners wrote:Chances are the LSAC would have denied your request for accommodations, as that's generally what they do. This even applies in cases where people have a long-documented history and receive extra time in undergrad.

I personally wouldn't send the addendum, unless you've recently started a new treatment that's greatly changing how you deal with your disability in a positive manner. In that case, I would retake and only write the addendum if you score much higher (using the treatment to show that it won't be a problem going forward).

Fair? I don't want to get into that discussion. But that's how I would play it out.


Thanks. My medications switched when I took the LSAT, my doctor added strattera to my medications.

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Disability Addendum

Postby bp shinners » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:01 pm

89vision wrote:
bp shinners wrote:Chances are the LSAC would have denied your request for accommodations, as that's generally what they do. This even applies in cases where people have a long-documented history and receive extra time in undergrad.

I personally wouldn't send the addendum, unless you've recently started a new treatment that's greatly changing how you deal with your disability in a positive manner. In that case, I would retake and only write the addendum if you score much higher (using the treatment to show that it won't be a problem going forward).

Fair? I don't want to get into that discussion. But that's how I would play it out.


Thanks. My medications switched when I took the LSAT, my doctor added strattera to my medications.


If that's the case, and you think it affected your score, I would retake after you 'normalize' on the new medications and write an addendum for the first score.

User avatar
Ohiobumpkin
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:50 am

Re: Disability Addendum

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:17 am

Maybe I'm a hyper pragmatist, but I would say write the addendum if it increases your chances at admission. Law schools do recognize learning disabled students as such even if LSAC does not.

User avatar
89vision
Posts: 431
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Disability Addendum

Postby 89vision » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:54 am

bp shinners wrote:
89vision wrote:
bp shinners wrote:Chances are the LSAC would have denied your request for accommodations, as that's generally what they do. This even applies in cases where people have a long-documented history and receive extra time in undergrad.

I personally wouldn't send the addendum, unless you've recently started a new treatment that's greatly changing how you deal with your disability in a positive manner. In that case, I would retake and only write the addendum if you score much higher (using the treatment to show that it won't be a problem going forward).

Fair? I don't want to get into that discussion. But that's how I would play it out.


Thanks. My medications switched when I took the LSAT, my doctor added strattera to my medications.


If that's the case, and you think it affected your score, I would retake after you 'normalize' on the new medications and write an addendum for the first score.


Thanks. Unfortunately, no meds with completely normalize things. I can't get the most effective medication for my problem because of a history of drug abuse. I was thinking of saying something like I wasn't aware I could ask LSAC for extended time, I do receive extensions at my school, and I am trying to find the right medications (but I think that may be bad to write? I have been trying different meds for 2 years).

Thanks again for any input. I did write one for my top school, because I was slightly below the LSAT median. I guess I'd like to know if I should email all my schools explaining the situation. Any help would be awesome.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests