Admitted students day vs. regular visit

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
westinghouse60

Admitted students day vs. regular visit

Postby westinghouse60 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:55 pm

My UG doesn't start back until over a week after most law schools do, and I have a lot of free time now, which I know I won't have later in the semester. I'm thinking about making 1-2 trips to schools I have been admitted to next week while I have the time, because obviously I want to visit any school before I think about attending. My question for those who have done both is how different is an ASD vs. regular visit? Would you be comfortable attending a school after just doing a regular visit and not an ASD?

MrPapagiorgio

Re: Admitted students day vs. regular visit

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:03 pm

westinghouse60 wrote:My question for those who have done both is how different is an ASD vs. regular visit? Would you be comfortable attending a school after just doing a regular visit and not an ASD?

How would your comfort change when comparing a visit vs. ASD? Honestly the "feel" of going to either one is not that different; ASD focuses on really selling you on attending the school, while a visit focuses on really selling you to apply to the school. Much of the information provided will be the same, only at an ASD, they may give you more specific information regarding matters such as financial aid, though this could be provided in a visit as well.

In short: tone is selling you to attend and give them $$$ vs. selling to you apply and giving them marginal $$$ and increasing their acceptance rate/yield rate.

westinghouse60

Postby westinghouse60 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:58 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
westinghouse60 wrote:My question for those who have done both is how different is an ASD vs. regular visit? Would you be comfortable attending a school after just doing a regular visit and not an ASD?

How would your comfort change when comparing a visit vs. ASD? Honestly the "feel" of going to either one is not that different; ASD focuses on really selling you on attending the school, while a visit focuses on really selling you to apply to the school. Much of the information provided will be the same, only at an ASD, they may give you more specific information regarding matters such as financial aid, though this could be provided in a visit as well.

In short: tone is selling you to attend and give them $$$ vs. selling to you apply and giving them marginal $$$ and increasing their acceptance rate/yield rate.

Ok thanks, this is what I figured. Looks like I'll plan a trip next week.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:11 am

I think you might get a better picture of what daily life is like by going on a regular day instead of attending a function designed to present the school in the best possible light.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:34 am

Go to ASD, tie one on with future classmates.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”