In a Wierd Situation

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
4gttngBrandonMarshal

In a Wierd Situation

Postby 4gttngBrandonMarshal » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:44 pm

I was admitted to a law school as a 1L in Fall 2011. I was not able to obtain my transcript before enrollment due to financial reasons but my school gave me a 1 semester grace period. The grace period came and went but I was still not able to obtain it. I'm not allowed to continue during the spring 2012 semester. On my LSAC report it will say that I attended the school but was not aloud to continue due to not meeting enrollment requirements (not having proof of a completed college degree). My degree is complete but my undergrad school will not release it due purely to financial reasons. I would like to apply to a different school for Fall 2012 enrollment as an entering 1L. I was admitted to this school last fall but did not attend because they would not grant me a grace period. Any idea on how an admissions committee would look at this situation? I would hate to be tossed out of consideration at a different school because of a financial problem. Any helpful suggestions are appreciated.

fundamentallybroken

Re: In a Wierd Situation

Postby fundamentallybroken » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:14 pm

Doesn't really matter how other schools will look at it - if you can't get a final transcript to prove you graduated, they won't let you attend either.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:16 pm

Perhaps you should get a job and pay your outstanding tuition at your undergrad school (I assume "financial reasons" means you owe them money), and then think about law school.

4gttngBrandonMarshal

Postby 4gttngBrandonMarshal » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:29 pm

I'm definitely going to start working to pay off the debt to my undergrad school. My goal is to be able to go back in Fall 2012. That way I wouldn't take too much time off and I wouldn't have the student loan association knocking on my door while I'm working to pay for my degree. In order to be competitive in this cycle I would have to start applying now. My bill wouldn't be paid off until the summer probably but I would like to still apply now for this cycle. I can't start applying after it's paid because it will be too late by then. It would definitely be paid off before I would have to present my official transcript to my new law school.

I want to know how much of a black eye this will give my application. I didn't fail out or cheat. I just couldn't continue because of money. How would an admissions committee look at me because of this and since I need to start applying soon, would they consider acceptance even if it isn't paid off yet? I would obviously attach an addendum stating that I plan to have it paid off soon and explaining the situation a little more, etc.

landla

Postby landla » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:03 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Perhaps you should get a job and pay your outstanding tuition at your undergrad school (I assume "financial reasons" means you owe them money), and then think about law school.

Agreed. A law school won't want to admit you if they don't think you'll pay them. You'll probably benefit from talking to someone at the school about this, since they will know better than anyone here and give you a definite answer with all the spcifics that you can refer back to later.

Good luck.

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:05 pm

Just a side note - it's spell "weird".

Gail

Postby Gail » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:25 pm

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”