Applying to Law School with two learning disabilities

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
justbubbles

Re: Applying to Law School with two learning disabilities

Postby justbubbles » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:05 pm

These repetitive discussions are somewhat pointless.

Most ad comms at reputed schools (T14 / Tier 1) will only give serious consideration to those with documented disabilities, if the applicant:

* Has been granted accommodations by LSAC (this is the ultimate litmus test, unfortunately);
* Has been granted accommodations all through undergrad (documented on the transcripts);
* Has a lifelong disability that is documented through a lengthy medical history.

The rest with a "spur of the moment cause" won't be able to garner much sympathy, if any, from the ad comms.

dvd0188

Postby dvd0188 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:56 pm

Hello everyone,

Thanks for all of your replies and candidness! Many of you are focusing on the post admission challenges you face as a law student and then as a lawyer, which is helpful but something I already have thought about. To specify, I have severe ADHD and Dyslexia so it isn't that I am unintelligent or unable to grasp complex concepts, it just takes me a little bit longer when reading is involved. Primarily why I couldn't do well on the LSATs. Despite this I have risen to every academic and professional challenge in life and came out on top. Keep in my mind that I transferred to a top 20 school and earned at 3.55 GPA there after having low SAT scores and going to a local state school for a two years. I am confident that through my hard work and resourcefulness I will persevere through law school as well.

That being said, the single greatest challenge I face is getting to a good law school. Because my low LSAT scores mask everything else that I have done throughout my undergraduate career, I was wondering how I can try to make an admissions councilor focus more on these things. All of you brought up valid points that I plan on including in my addendum. I just want advice on how I can portray my story to a admission councilor so that I dont have to repeat the whole transfer process. Please keep the conversation going and dont hesitate to post anything that you think is helpful.

Lastly, Ive been having trouble trying to figure out how to send my full documentation of my disabilities to schools, anyone have any experience in this process.

Thanks,
Dave

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:21 pm

admissions counselor.

dvd0188

Postby dvd0188 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:09 pm

Hi Guys,

I was able to put together an addendum this weekend and I would be truly grateful if you guys can take a look at it and let me know your thoughts. Thanks for all your help! Here is the link: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=176980

-Dave

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:22 pm

You forgot to attach Dave's neurophysiological report

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”