Withdraw? Or try to correct?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
doceydoe

Withdraw? Or try to correct?

Postby doceydoe » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:40 am

i submitted an app with an error that I'm concerned will be seen as an omission...its not UR yet, but I'm weighing my options....

1.) withdraw the app
2.) attempt to mitigate the error with a short email to the admissions office

my main concern is getting written up by LSAC for conduct/irregularity

spek

Re: Withdraw? Or try to correct?

Postby spek » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:42 am

What kind of error would warrant you withdrawing your application?

Davidbentley

Postby Davidbentley » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:46 am

spek wrote:What kind of error would warrant you withdrawing your application?

+1

I cannot think of any "omission" that would not be best rectified with an e-mail containing the information in question. But, since you asked, I am thinking that you think this is incredibly serious. So, withdraw.

flcath

Postby flcath » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:54 am

Obviously it depends on what it is. Generally, though:

(a) You won't get reported for an irregularity unless you lied about something that appears on the LSAC report itself. Schools don't verify things like jobs or C&F issues.
(b) The more serious concern is that if you are admitted and matriculate at this school, your issue will be uncovered on application to the bar (every state attains a copy of your LS app to compare to your bar app).

If you have an upcoming LSAT date that you didn't disclose, then just tell them about it (no one cares). If it's a minor C&F thing that you could have reasonably forgotten, then also just tell them. If it's a C&F issue that you could not possibly have simply forgotten about (e.g., something recent), you may want to consider withdrawing.

FWIW, I consider it relatively unlikely that an after-the-fact application amendment would result in anything worse than a decision to reject you from that school. Unless you're Bruce Reilly.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:57 am

False alarm.

Also, don't be a law student.
Last edited by Blessedassurance on Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

doceydoe

Postby doceydoe » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:02 am

The app asked if i was applying to any dual degree programs, special scholarships, etc. and i checked "no" where applicable. However I accidentally also checked "no" where it asked if I was re-applying to the school.

flcath

Postby flcath » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:04 am

doceydoe wrote:The app asked if i was applying to any dual degree programs, special scholarships, etc. and i checked "no" where applicable. However I accidentally also checked "no" where it asked if I was re-applying to the school.

Jesus. Write (or call) them and explain it to them as you explained it to us. This falls far, far short of justifying throwing away an application.

And, generally, try not to stress out too much over this process.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:04 am

doceydoe wrote:The app asked if i was applying to any dual degree programs, special scholarships, etc. and i checked "no" where applicable. However I accidentally also checked "no" where it asked if I was re-applying to the school.

Dude, this is a simple mistake for which a couple of emails will suffice. What the fuck, man? Cry wolf much?

flcath

Postby flcath » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:08 am

Blessedassurance wrote:

Dude, this is a simple mistake for which a couple of emails will suffice. What the fuck, man? Cry wolf much?

I was really hoping for an "I accidentally checked 'African American' on the form, and then accidentally submitted a 2-page diversity addendum, but I'm actually a white chick who heard from one of my friends that the schools don't verify this."

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:12 am

flcath wrote:I was really hoping for an "I accidentally checked 'African American' on the form, and then accidentally submitted a 2-page diversity addendum, but I'm actually a white chick who heard from one of my friends that the schools don't verify this."

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=175188

Seems popular this cycle. I guess they closed the NA loophole or something.

doceydoe

Postby doceydoe » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:21 am

flcath wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:

I was really hoping for an "I accidentally checked 'African American' on the form, and then accidentally submitted a 2-page diversity addendum, but I'm actually a white chick who heard from one of my friends that the schools don't verify this."

^LOL, what advice would you give to someone in that situation?

but, cool. i'll try and chill out.

Davidbentley

Postby Davidbentley » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:23 am

doceydoe wrote:
flcath wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:

An addendum stating she got a bit too wrapped up in a rerun of Good Times, and, like Dog the Bounty Hunter, briefly thought she was black.

flcath

Postby flcath » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:31 am

doceydoe wrote:
flcath wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:

Stick it out and try to run with the lie. Come to Admitted Student Weekend in blackface.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”