ED Stips - AM I S.O.L.??????? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

What would you do?

Go with the original school this cycle and negotiate for $
15%
Sit out the cycle and reapply to better schools/peer schools with shot at significant $
85%

Total votes: 13

curiousgeorge1

New

ED Stips - AM I S.O.L.???????

Post by curiousgeorge1 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:08 am

I've received a higher score on my December exam that would qualify me for better schools/scholly money than the school I bound myself to ED a few months ago. My question: can I sit out this cycle from the school I am now bound to and reapply next cycle to any schools I choose, free from the original ED contract? I have heard the answer is yes, but on the ED contract I signed, no particular time limit (e.g. 1 year) is specified. Can someone explain (outside of a hunch) how this is possible, if at all? Yes, it may seem I was foolish to ED in the first place, but with the limited information I had it was truly the best decision at the time. TIA.

kalvano

Diamond

Re: ED Stips - AM I S.O.L.???????

Post by kalvano » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:14 am

ED only applies to one admissions cycle. You're good if you sit out the year.

Which you absolutely should do, and re-apply to get money next cycle.

curiousgeorge1

New

Post by curiousgeorge1 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:19 am

kalvano wrote:ED only applies to one admissions cycle. You're good if you sit out the year.

Which you absolutely should do, and re-apply to get money next cycle.
I have heard this from a generous amount of people but no one has been able to explain where the explanation comes from. I don't want to email the adcomms, saying "well ED only applies for a cycle" and have them and their peer schools blackball me. Could you point me somewhere substantive so I won't be jumping off a cliff? Thanks!! I really want to be able to do this right. 'Preeesh the help

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:24 am

Call and ask the registrar. That's what I did. I was told its a one-cycle only thing.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:26 am

Curious - what are your numbers?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

curiousgeorge1

New

Post by curiousgeorge1 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:38 am

Dany wrote:Curious - what are your numbers?
Pre-December <168, post-December >168. Always >3.8x. PM for specifics. Please no quoting. Thanks again!

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:45 am

ABSOLUTELY reapply. Depending on how far above, you could be looking at half- to full- rides at some T14s. Congrats on the new score!

curiousgeorge1

New

Post by curiousgeorge1 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:52 am

Dany wrote:ABSOLUTELY reapply. Depending on how far above, you could be looking at half- to full- rides at some T14s. Congrats on the new score!
Thanks Dany!

I suppose the burning question here is the particular strategy (if one is needed at all?) that should be used in communicating to the adcomms that I will be sitting out the cycle.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:04 am

Send in all your acceptance letters for other schools, and make them form a collage that spells out the message.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

curiousgeorge1

New

Post by curiousgeorge1 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:12 pm

bump - thanks

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:15 pm

Sit out the cycle if you can, but determine if that is actually possible at your school and/or won't be frowned upon

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:16 pm

Dude- they aren't as worried about this as you are. If you have to just tell them that your circumstances have changed and you are sitting out this year. They aren't going to prevent you from going to another school and they wouldn't want to.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:27 pm

The only thing to make sure you let them know is that you're withdrawing totally and not trying to defer your ED acceptance until next year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:32 pm

One thing to point out is that I've read that some schools don't like it if you turn down their ED and then reapply, so you should know that you may be kissing this school goodbye. Not that it probably matters if you have outperformed your previous numbers. Sounds like you're looking at at least the lower T14, maybe better.

cooley4lyfe

New

Post by cooley4lyfe » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:49 am

While the ED contract might only apply for one cycle, I don't see how you're going to just notify the adcomms that you're just walking out. GL.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:50 am

cooley4lyfe wrote:While the ED contract might only apply for one cycle, I don't see how you're going to just notify the adcomms that you're just walking out. GL.
You just withdraw. It's not that hard.

cooley4lyfe

New

Post by cooley4lyfe » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:55 am

Dany wrote:
cooley4lyfe wrote:While the ED contract might only apply for one cycle, I don't see how you're going to just notify the adcomms that you're just walking out. GL.
"Dear xxx, I'm no longer interested in attending your school because I can now get into a better school. Thanks"

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:59 am

This happens quite often. just send an email explaining that you would like to withdraw because you need to sit out law school a year and will not be attending this cycle. Make it very clear that you want to withdraw, not defer. Case closed.

Errzii

Bronze

Post by Errzii » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:04 am

If you haven't been accepted to the school you EDed to, wouldn't withdrawing before a decision is made null the ED contract? Wouldn't that allow you to attend whatever schools still accept you on the basis of your new score for the remainder of the current cycle? Unless you've already been accepted, in which case +1 to what everyone else already said, i.e., sit out and wait till next cycle.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:06 am

cooley4lyfe wrote:
Dany wrote:
"Dear xxx, I'm no longer interested in attending your school because I can now get into a better school. Thanks"
You wouldn't phrase it like that, you moron.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:20 am

Law schools are not emotional teenagers that are going to cry at the first sign they aren't the popular kid. They're a business. If you write them and say you cannot attend and will be withdrawing your application and sitting out this cycle, they will process the request and forget about in approximately 46 seconds.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

curiousgeorge1

New

Post by curiousgeorge1 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:22 am

sunynp wrote:Dude- they aren't as worried about this as you are. If you have to just tell them that your circumstances have changed and you are sitting out this year. They aren't going to prevent you from going to another school and they wouldn't want to.
I just think they will see this as disingenuous and share that with peer schools. Am I looking way too into this? The old adage that one in the hand is better than two in the bush seems to keep me worried. I don't know how to convey that "things have changed" without banging a hornets nest. But nevertheless, I don't want to throw away $$ or better employment.
emkay625 wrote:This happens quite often. just send an email explaining that you would like to withdraw because you need to sit out law school a year and will not be attending this cycle. Make it very clear that you want to withdraw, not defer. Case closed.
Have you heard of this happening? I feel like it's talked about on the boards but I can't seem to actually pinpoint it.
kalvano wrote:Law schools are not emotional teenagers that are going to cry at the first sign they aren't the popular kid. They're a business. If you write them and say you cannot attend and will be withdrawing your application and sitting out this cycle, they will process the request and forget about in approximately 46 seconds.
So you don't think they see this as a contractual violation whatsoever and will let it slide? I too share the same sentiment at times but don't know if sentiment makes the risk worth it

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:25 am

It's not disingenuous. You agreed that if accepted THIS YEAR, you would go that school in the Class of 2015. If you try to weasel out and go to another school this year, you'll have problems. Choosing not to attend at all this year isn't going to be an issue.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:26 am

An ED contract says you agree to go to that school if accepted, and it only applies for that admissions cycle.

You're not breaking any contract by sitting out the cycle. That's a perfectly acceptable alternative. The choice under the ED contract is go to that school or no school.

Stop worrying so much about this. Send the email and go outside and play. No one at the school will care.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”