Is going for a Second BA/BS pointless?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Actary
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:38 pm

Is going for a Second BA/BS pointless?

Postby Actary » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:10 pm

Hello Everyone,

I graduated this semester with a 3.62 GPA... 175 LSAT. My major was Political Science.
I really want to go to a Top 6 Law School.
I am wondering if it is , for instance, a smart move if I go for a second BA/BS, this time in Economics. I go to a CUNY college in NYC, and it will take me 3 to 4 semesters to finish my second BA/BS...

My reason for opting for a second BA/BS is due to the fact that I still regret choosing Political Science over Economics as a major (Pre-Law advisor you are not cool!), I would like to increase my GPA so I can pretend at least to be considered, and it is also due to the bad economy. I am hoping that by the time I apply, it will get better...

What do you guys think about this?
Help a fellow-TLS-Forum-addict out!

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Is going for a Second BA/BS pointless?

Postby bdubs » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:13 pm

You stand a good shot at CCN with a 3.62/175, why would you want to waste your time getting a 2nd degree?

There is no way you're getting into HYS, so just accept that and work hard to get into your favorite CCN.

User avatar
blink
Posts: 428
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:14 pm

Re: Is going for a Second BA/BS pointless?

Postby blink » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:15 pm

yes. your LSDAS GPA only counts your first degree.

User avatar
paul34
Posts: 316
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:37 am

Re: Is going for a Second BA/BS pointless?

Postby paul34 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:16 pm

.
Last edited by paul34 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JDizzle2015
Posts: 638
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:16 pm

Re: Is going for a Second BA/BS pointless?

Postby JDizzle2015 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:40 pm

+1 to what the previous posters said.

Good shot at CCN with 3.62/175. Not looking good for HYS--they have GPA floors at around 3.8.

No reason to get a second BA/BS when it comes to law school unless you want to get a hard science BS if you want to go into IP law.

LSAC Website wrote:Grades Excluded From Conversion
Withdraw, Withdraw/Pass—only if the issuing school considers the grade nonpunitive.
Incomplete—only if the issuing school considers the grade nonpunitive.
Those given for remedial courses only if the transcript clearly indicates they are remedial.
Those awarded after the first undergraduate degree was received.
...

Source: http://www.lsac.org/policies/transcript ... zation.asp

HTH.

wannabejag
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:48 pm

Re: Is going for a Second BA/BS pointless?

Postby wannabejag » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:51 pm

Actary wrote:Hello Everyone,

I graduated this semester with a 3.62 GPA... 175 LSAT. My major was Political Science.
I really want to go to a Top 6 Law School.
I am wondering if it is , for instance, a smart move if I go for a second BA/BS, this time in Economics. I go to a CUNY college in NYC, and it will take me 3 to 4 semesters to finish my second BA/BS...

My reason for opting for a second BA/BS is due to the fact that I still regret choosing Political Science over Economics as a major (Pre-Law advisor you are not cool!), I would like to increase my GPA so I can pretend at least to be considered, and it is also due to the bad economy. I am hoping that by the time I apply, it will get better...

What do you guys think about this?
Help a fellow-TLS-Forum-addict out!


If you do end up getting another degree, regardless of Law School why wouldn't you get a MASTERS in economics than. I think a second bachelors is always a retarded idea when you can get a Masters and still have a higher level of education.

User avatar
JDizzle2015
Posts: 638
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:16 pm

Re: Is going for a Second BA/BS pointless?

Postby JDizzle2015 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:17 pm

wannabejag wrote:If you do end up getting another degree, regardless of Law School why wouldn't you get a MASTERS in economics than. I think a second bachelors is always a retarded idea when you can get a Masters and still have a higher level of education.

GPA from a masters program most definitely does not count towards the all-important UGPA in law school admissions. I think OP was wondering if it would be worth it to get a second bachelors to boost his/her UGPA.

wannabejag
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:48 pm

Re: Is going for a Second BA/BS pointless?

Postby wannabejag » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:55 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:
wannabejag wrote:If you do end up getting another degree, regardless of Law School why wouldn't you get a MASTERS in economics than. I think a second bachelors is always a retarded idea when you can get a Masters and still have a higher level of education.

GPA from a masters program most definitely does not count towards the all-important UGPA in law school admissions. I think OP was wondering if it would be worth it to get a second bachelors to boost his/her UGPA.


I didn't suggest that the GPA did count. But if you are going to keep at it in school, getting a higher degree makes more sense than a second bachelors.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 6 guests