Resume Help: How to format for Freelance Contractor? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ssanders

New

Resume Help: How to format for Freelance Contractor?

Post by ssanders » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:55 pm

Does anyone have experience on how best to format a resume when it comes to non-traditional work experience?

I have worked in the technology sector as a freelance contractor (marketing, design, programmer, etc.) for the last decade and have an extremely expansive work history. My confusion is mostly on how I structure this. I know how to deal with normal jobs (company name, location, position, dates, etc) but what do I do to address the varying major clients I've worked with as a contractor? Does each get its own entry, or do I list a main entry as "contractor" and then bullet point clients?

Appreciate the help!

r6_philly

Diamond

Re: Resume Help: How to format for Freelance Contractor?

Post by r6_philly » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:42 am

Depends on how many clients/projects you want to list. I worked for a large consulting firm that placed with large corps for mid-long term projects. So I listed both the consulting position, and the placements. If you have a lot of small projects, I would just make an entry for the consulting position, then list the projects individually with short descriptions as subsections.

ssanders

New

Post by ssanders » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:12 am

Mind if I PM you over a draft of my resume? I was able to get it to 2 pages by focusing only on two of my larger/longer clients.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:32 am

No problem. Don't over do the descriptions. I say limit to 2-3 bullet point/sentences per job/project.

We have to limit our law firm resumes to 1 page only, and I still crammed 2/3 of all my experience on that 1 page. Truthfully, I like it over my 3 page CV.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”