Applying for two programs, no dual degree Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MachineLemon

Bronze

Applying for two programs, no dual degree

Post by MachineLemon » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:09 pm

I'm applying to a PhD program at a school I've been accepted to for law. No strong interest in a dual degree, and I did not indicate any interest on my JD application. Will this hurt either application (admission for the PhD, $ for the JD)? Will the PhD program be hesitant to compete for a student, and will the law school take it as a signal of disinterest? I would attend the PhD program over the JD program, but I am not very likely to gain admission and would still be thrilled to attend the law school.

ben4847

Silver

Re: Applying for two programs, no dual degree

Post by ben4847 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:26 pm

I doubt they are communicating with one another. The real question is why you are not interested in a dual degree.

MachineLemon

Bronze

Re: Applying for two programs, no dual degree

Post by MachineLemon » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:19 pm

ben4847 wrote:I doubt they are communicating with one another. The real question is why you are not interested in a dual degree.
I did have to indicate whether I had ever applied to any other programs, and I had planned to explain my response in an addendum for the grad program (writing a couple other addenda already--nothing major, just clarifications). My main reasons for avoiding a dual degree are the added years of education and a lack of overlap between my academic interests in each discipline.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”