Would an internship help?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DaRascal

Would an internship help?

Postby DaRascal » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:11 am

OK I didn't have the best semester. I just transferred to a new school and had a 2.7 this semester. The school's notorious for grade deflation but I'm still a bit below the median here.

Anyway, my LSDAS will probably be teetering in the low 3.6/high 3.5 range by the time I apply to law school next fall.

I'm a URM (PR male to be exact.... I'm sure I've said that before on here), but I'm starting to think I might need some soft factors to help me out.

With a good solid 168+ on the LSAT, do you think I'd still need soft factors to help me get a T6 acceptance? I didn't do much at all in my undergrad time and I've applied for an internship this coming summer. Will this help my application or will the boost only be minimal?

Tom Joad

Re: Would an internship help?

Postby Tom Joad » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:13 am

Ouch on the 2.7, but good luck on the future.

I think the consensus on TLS is that if you really want to improve your application, you get the best bang for your buck by improving your LSAT score.

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:25 am

Thanks, brah. Yeah... It wouldn't have been so bad except I fell apart toward the end in a couple of classes. I should have had a very low 3 though.

So would it hurt me if I only have the LoRs, the LSDAS, and the LSAT when I apply? I know soft factors aren't nearly as important but I get the feeling around here that everyone has something they could at least put down while I don't have too much.
Would community service be as good as an internship?

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:32 am

Well I might have come off a little wrong when I said just study for the LSAT. I just meant I think it is the most economical use of your time. But grab a part time job or a paid internship or something to do while you study for the LSAT. It's not like you are going to study for the LSAT 8 hours a day. Anything helps, especially a little extra spending money.

CactusPuppy

Postby CactusPuppy » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:40 am

Tom Joad wrote:Ouch on the 2.7, but good luck on the future.

I think the consensus on TLS is that if you really want to improve your application, you get the best bang for your buck by improving your LSAT score.

Your resumé is generally an after-thought. It is not what makes you initially considerable.

Shooter

Postby Shooter » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:21 am

Will an internship help? Yes.

Will it provide a substantial benefit? No.

Unless it's one hell of an internship.

In which case, still no.

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:24 am

So then I might as well just spend the next 6 months studying hard for the LSAT and maybe get a summer job or some small volunteer work to put down on my application?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:17 pm

DaRascal wrote:So then I might as well just spend the next 6 months studying hard for the LSAT and maybe get a summer job or some small volunteer work to put down on my application?

You have it figured out Sir. Best of luck.

candidate33

Postby candidate33 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:49 am

You could look into interning for a non-profit organization in your area (if there are any particular causes you feel passionate about). I studied for the LSAT while interning last summer, and ended up with a great PS topic as a bonus.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”