Getting into law schools with subpar scores

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
HolySnap

Getting into law schools with subpar scores

Postby HolySnap » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:40 pm

Hey y'all,

I have joined this website in order to give you some insight on how to get into an elite law school with lower than average scores. Just today, I was accepted into the University of Chicago Law School. As we all know, getting into this school is extremely difficult, and the academic credentials needed are astonishing. However, it is NOT impossible to get in with an okay LSAT score. Here are my statistics.

LSDAS GPA: 3.82
LSAT Score 1st time: 152
LSAT Score 2nd time: 162

Yes, I got in with a 162, and here is how: I went to an inner-city school, so I explained how that was to my disadvantage. I did poorly in high school, but worked hard and ended up with a pretty good GPA. Also, I scored a 21 on the ACT, so I explained how standardized test scores may indicate how a group of people will do, but not me specifically (ACT did not show how well I would do in college). Thus, I argued that the LSAT also does not show my true potential much like the ACT. I explained how I studied hard the first time, but was not happy with my 152. Thus, I persevered and raised my score an additional 10 points (which is extremely hard to do). In my personal statement, I explained how I went through a significant transformation that changed me, and given the chance, I could show academia that a number is not enough to define my potential. Finally, of course, I had some great recommendations and applied early. Here is the list of schools that have accepted me so far (none of wait-listed or denied me yet).

University of Chicago, George Washington University, Georgetown.

If you have any questions or want advice, I would be more than happy to help

snehpets

Re: Getting into law schools with subpar scores

Postby snehpets » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:43 pm

Are you URM?

sach1282

Postby sach1282 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:44 pm

snehpets wrote:Are you URM?

Beat me to it by like 8 seconds!

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:44 pm

Congrats on the acceptance. But there is one dispositive issue here that I think you left out.

edit: beaten

lawschoolgrapedme

Postby lawschoolgrapedme » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:45 pm

this thread is nothing more than a black guy trying to find any other reason to justify him being admitted with such a subpar score other than the fact he/she is black.

I'll probably get banned for the above comment, but situations like this infuriate me.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:46 pm

You're a reverse splitter. Your GPA is above most medians.

If you'd gotten into a school where BOTH of your numbers were below median/25%, this would be more interesting. Hundreds of splitters and reverse splitters get into schools every year. Even non-URMs.

(plus if you're a URM, this post is ridiculous. Your numbers aren't "subpar" at all for a URM.)

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:47 pm

Congrats. UChicago is a great school.

crabcakes

Postby crabcakes » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:51 pm

snehpets wrote:Are you URM?

HolySnap

Postby HolySnap » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:52 pm

To the bitter people assuming I'm a URM: I'm not a URM; fail on your part.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:53 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:You're a reverse splitter. Your GPA is above most medians.

If you'd gotten into a school where BOTH of your numbers were below median/25%, this would be more interesting. Hundreds of splitters and reverse splitters get into schools every year. Even non-URMs.

(plus if you're a URM, this post is ridiculous. Your numbers aren't "subpar" at all for a URM.)

Agreed, I got into Mich with a "subpar" score but my GPA is one that a lot of people would like to have.

lawschoolgrapedme

Postby lawschoolgrapedme » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:54 pm

HolySnap wrote:To the bitter people assuming I'm a URM: I'm not a URM; fail on your part.

Of course you're not. On the internet you can be whatever you want to be.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:54 pm

HolySnap wrote:To the bitter people assuming I'm a URM: I'm not a URM; fail on your part.

LMAO!!! Priceless, congrats OP.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:55 pm

Just to clarify, and to attempt to distance myself from the angry racist guy, I only meant that you should have said in your original post whether you were URM or not.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:56 pm

Get a full scholarship to UChicago and that might make this worth paying attention to.

ggibelli

Postby ggibelli » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:56 pm

congrats on your success but to be honest, this thread isn't useful. you had a unique background. this is just anedoctal

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:57 pm

lawschoolgrapedme wrote:

Of course you're not. On the internet you can be whatever you want to be.

No, I believe him because I'm not URM either. That still doesn't make this story something deserving of a whole thread giving advice on how to land an elite school. This thread is all sorts of fail.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:58 pm

I wouldn't characterize myself as 'bitter.' I was just asking. Law schools are primarily numbers based and they generally don't care if you're a bad test-taker or were disadvantaged. They care about your numbers, because they have to. Because of this focus on numbers, it was surprising to me that you were admitted with your numbers without being a URM when so many people with identical sob stories and better numbers are not.

On an unrelated note, with a large number of people being rejected today at Chicago, some with better numbers than you, it seems like a pretty insensitive time to tell everyone that you got in by playing the disadvantaged card.

Regardless, congratulations. Hope you enjoy the same success in law school that you have in undergrad.
Last edited by snehpets on Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HolySnap

Postby HolySnap » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:59 pm

The gentleman who brought up the splitter comment is right; you have to have one score above average. The reason I believe my application has been so well taken is because it shows a personal transformation and good letters, which make it stand out. Once that happened and I had admission's attention, I brought up the point that low test scores have never been an accurate indicator for me.

Although I do have a unique situation, I believe stories similar to mine can be used in one way or another.

Guy who doesn't believe me: You can Facebook me if you want and look at my pictures... I'm white dude.

As for scholarships, you sure as hell are right! That's what I will be working on next. Now what to do....

BiglawOrBust

Postby BiglawOrBust » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:03 pm

snehpets wrote:I wouldn't characterize myself as 'bitter.' I was just asking. Law schools are primarily numbers based and they generally don't care if you're a bad test-taker or were disadvantaged. They care about your numbers, because they have to. Because of this focus on numbers, it was surprising to me that you were admitted with your numbers without being a URM when so many people with identical sob stories and better numbers are not.

On an unrelated note, with a large number of people being rejected today at Chicago, some with better numbers than you, it seems like a pretty insensitive time to tell everyone that you got in by playing the disadvantaged card.

Regardless, congratulations. Hope you enjoy the same success in law school that you have in undergrad.

Marry me.

HolySnap

Postby HolySnap » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:03 pm

"Playing your cards right" is what you should be doing, imo. What's the point of getting high scores if they don't capture the attention of admissions? If you don't think this thread is useful, simply read it and move on (or don't read it at all). I don't mean to be insensitive, I'm just posting how I got accepted in the hopes that other people can learn something and gain insight.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:04 pm

BiglawOrBust wrote:
snehpets wrote:I wouldn't characterize myself as 'bitter.' I was just asking. Law schools are primarily numbers based and they generally don't care if you're a bad test-taker or were disadvantaged. They care about your numbers, because they have to. Because of this focus on numbers, it was surprising to me that you were admitted with your numbers without being a URM when so many people with identical sob stories and better numbers are not.

Marry me.

:lol:

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:07 pm

flame?

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:08 pm

also,

pics or it didn't happen. take a screenshot and then blur out your name/lsac #.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:17 pm

HolySnap wrote:"Playing your cards right" is what you should be doing, imo. What's the point of getting high scores if they don't capture the attention of admissions? If you don't think this thread is useful, simply read it and move on (or don't read it at all). I don't mean to be insensitive, I'm just posting how I got accepted in the hopes that other people can learn something and gain insight.

I don't know what "insight" there is to be gained though. Go to school and get good grades (Duh) Get a decent LSAT score (duh) Write a good essay (duh) and explain anything that needs explaining (duh)!

So where does this Mother Theresaness come from?

Flappy Scribbleneck

Postby Flappy Scribbleneck » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:23 pm

Would you mind posting your PS?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”