Applying to a school just for scholarship leverage?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
skitlets

Applying to a school just for scholarship leverage?

Postby skitlets » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:11 am

Should I apply to a school I have no interest in attending to simply to see how much aid I can obtain and use to leverage other schools? I have a fee waiver so it'll only cost me the reporting fee.

Ernert

Re: Applying to a school just for scholarship leverage?

Postby Ernert » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:14 am

If it is a peer/comparable school to the ones you're interested in attending, then definitely yes.

skitlets

Postby skitlets » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:21 am

^ Thanks. This was a dumb question, of course I should. The school in question is way below my current targets but it literally only costs me $16 to try.

Davidbentley

Postby Davidbentley » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:14 am

skitlets wrote:^ Thanks. This was a dumb question, of course I should. The school in question is way below my current targets but it literally only costs me $16 to try.

If way below means not a peer school, then no, you ought not waste the $ 16.00. I.E. if you try to leverage Michigan using Notre Dame, they will probably laugh.... A lot.

expelliarmus

Postby expelliarmus » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:48 am

Apply for a fee waiver, and if you can finish your more important applications early - what do you have to lose?

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:03 am

expelliarmus wrote:Apply for a fee waiver, and if you can finish your more important applications early - what do you have to lose?

Time that could be spent doing something more interesting. Like staring at the wall, for example.

JustE

Postby JustE » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:18 am

ahduth wrote:
expelliarmus wrote:Apply for a fee waiver, and if you can finish your more important applications early - what do you have to lose?

Time that could be spent doing something more interesting. Like staring at the wall, for example.

I'm in this same boat. I'm already in at Michigan and NU, but neglected to apply to Boalt and GT. From what I've seen on LSN, they can be pretty generous to URMs.

So here's the question: Is it too late in the cycle to expect generous scholarships from Boalt and GT? I failed at the fee waiver game with them, so I'd be forking over around $230 to two schools I have zero interest in attending. My apps are done, so there'd be minimal edits. I would have them off before the ball drops this weekend.

Thoughts?

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:16 pm

JustE wrote:
ahduth wrote:

I'm in this same boat. I'm already in at Michigan and NU, but neglected to apply to Boalt and GT. From what I've seen on LSN, they can be pretty generous to URMs.

So here's the question: Is it too late in the cycle to expect generous scholarships from Boalt and GT? I failed at the fee waiver game with them, so I'd be forking over around $230 to two schools I have zero interest in attending. My apps are done, so there'd be minimal edits. I would have them off before the ball drops this weekend.

Thoughts?

Boalt, I applied in early December and heard back within two weeks. They didn't give me any more money than other schools though. Plus I think an "enhanced" PS is probably useful for getting in.

If GT is GULC I have no idea - I don't think they have reputation for giving out a lot of money, but it would take a lot of money for you to want to go there over Michigan or NU.

JustE

Postby JustE » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:20 pm

ahduth wrote:
JustE wrote:
ahduth wrote:

Thoughts?

Boalt, I applied in early December and heard back within two weeks. They didn't give me any more money than other schools though. Plus I think an "enhanced" PS is probably useful for getting in.

If GT is GULC I have no idea - I don't think they have reputation for giving out a lot of money, but it would take a lot of money for you to want to go there over Michigan or NU.

Agreed. What do you mean by "enhanced"? Longer?

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:24 pm

Yeah, I put in a bunch of stuff about how the Berkeley culture and Dean Tom's recruiting philosophy made me think it would be a good fit for me. It was like three pages all in all I think - I mostly just added on to my 2 pager.

JustE

Postby JustE » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:29 pm

ahduth wrote:Yeah, I put in a bunch of stuff about how the Berkeley culture and Dean Tom's recruiting philosophy made me think it would be a good fit for me. It was like three pages all in all I think - I mostly just added on to my 2 pager.

Awesome. Thanks.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:30 pm

Davidbentley wrote:
skitlets wrote:^ Thanks. This was a dumb question, of course I should. The school in question is way below my current targets but it literally only costs me $16 to try.

If way below means not a peer school, then no, you ought not waste the $ 16.00. I.E. if you try to leverage Michigan using Notre Dame, they will probably laugh.... A lot.

+1

If the school in question is indeed below your targets, then don't even bother using it as leverage. They gave you the scholarship money because they're a worse school...not because you're special.

charliep

Postby charliep » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:45 pm

do schools factor in the differences in tuition when negotiating scholarships? for instance, if i were to receive 20k a year from a private school, would a much less expensive state school be less likely to up the scholarship amount due to the difference in tuition costs?

JustE

Postby JustE » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:57 pm

charliep wrote:do schools factor in the differences in tuition when negotiating scholarships? for instance, if i were to receive 20k a year from a private school, would a much less expensive state school be less likely to up the scholarship amount due to the difference in tuition costs?

I'd think they might... But most are right around $50k anyway, so I doubt it makes much of a difference. If you have a special situation (say in-state at UGA for $15k), then it would be best to articulate that to the office. Not sure if they'd pick up on it otherwise.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”