C&F Addendum Final Draft, need some help w/ a few questions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Duramax80

C&F Addendum Final Draft, need some help w/ a few questions

Postby Duramax80 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:58 pm

Character and Fitness Addendum

• In the summer of 2006, I was issued a citation for Failure to Maintain Lane in (CITY, STATE). I lost control of my vehicle on a wet road, hydroplaned, and slid into a ditch. I did not contest, and paid the fine, therefore completing all requirements for this misdemeanor.

• On December 5th, 2006, I was arrested for Minor in Possession of Marijuana, in (City, State). After successfully completing six months of reporting probation, passing random urinalysis screenings, and paying a fine of $843.00, my charge was expunged from my record. It was the first and last time I consumed any sort of illegal drug, and I have been definitively drug free for the past six years.

• On May 17th, 2007, I was issued a misdemeanor citation for speeding, in (CITY, STATE). I have completed all requirements associated with this charge.

• On December 12, 2007, I was arrested for DUI and Failure to Maintain Lane in (CITY, STATE), citation number XXXXX. After being arrested, I enrolled myself into a defensive driving course on my own accord, which I completed. When I appeared in court, I was given the opportunity to plead guilty to reckless driving, and paid a fine of $ 1,271.00. Aside from the judicial fines, I was also forced to appear before the Student Judicial Board at my university. I completed an online alcohol education program as well as forty hours of community service. All of the requirements associated with my offense have been successfully completed.
o Looking back, being arrested for DUI is the most shameful and dishonorable experience of my life. However, it undoubtedly allowed me to recognize my faults and reevaluate my life and actions. Since that time, I have grown and matured as an individual, and I look back at that instance as a painful lesson learned. I no longer see operating a vehicle after consuming alcohol as an option, and if I do not have a safe method home, I abstain from drinking.

I fully realize the severity of my past actions, of which I accept full responsibility. Since 2007, both my criminal and driving history have remained free from any sort of violation or discrepancy whatsoever. After receiving a background check from the (University) Police Department, the document stated I had a clean record.
Last edited by Duramax80 on Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Duramax80

Re: C&F Addendum Final Draft

Postby Duramax80 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:11 pm

Is this ready to submit? Should I expand more on any particular area?

Duramax80

Postby Duramax80 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:57 pm

If I have a criminal background check that says I have a completely clean record, eventhough I had a DUI (dropped to reckless) and a MIP (expunged), should I disclose them?

I figured if they dont show up on my background check then they dont exist, true?

3v3ryth1ng

Postby 3v3ryth1ng » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:38 am

Duramax80 wrote:Is this ready to submit? Should I expand more on any particular area?

I'm no expert here, but I think the people who are seeking this information would like a reason to think you wouldn't do these things again. All I really got from this was that you're sorry, and you won't do it again. I'd elaborate more on how you've matured, and how those crimes were of a product of your immaturity rather than a deeper irreverence for society's laws.

Bottom line, I don't think the way you address these offenses is as convincing as it could be. It's not terrible though, and I doubt it would matter much as long as you've kept your nose clean the last few years.

ben4847

Re: C&F Addendum Final Draft, need some help w/ a few questions

Postby ben4847 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:52 am

Duramax80 wrote:Character and Fitness Addendum
• On December 5th, 2006, I was arrested for Minor in Possession of Marijuana, in (City, State). After successfully completing six months of reporting probation, passing random urinalysis screenings, and paying a fine of $843.00, my charge was expunged from my record. It was the first and last time I consumed any sort of illegal drug, and I have been definitively drug free for the past six years

You got arrested your very first time using drugs! No wonder you never used again.

Duramax80

Postby Duramax80 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:40 am

ben4847 wrote:
Duramax80 wrote:Character and Fitness Addendum
• On December 5th, 2006, I was arrested for Minor in Possession of Marijuana, in (City, State). After successfully completing six months of reporting probation, passing random urinalysis screenings, and paying a fine of $843.00, my charge was expunged from my record. It was the first and last time I consumed any sort of illegal drug, and I have been definitively drug free for the past six years

You got arrested your very first time using drugs! No wonder you never used again.

Imagine being a freshman in college, stoned for the first time, and six cops kick in the door, guns drawn. Yeah, I about shit my pants.

EMAW12

Postby EMAW12 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:18 pm

Duramax80 wrote:If I have a criminal background check that says I have a completely clean record, eventhough I had a DUI (dropped to reckless) and a MIP (expunged), should I disclose them?

I figured if they dont show up on my background check then they dont exist, true?

Disclose. Better to be safe than sorry.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:43 pm

"It was the first and lasttime I consumedany sort ofillegal drug, and I have been definitivelydrug free for the past six years since."

You state it was your last time consuming drugs twice.

"After being arrested, I voluntarily enrolled myself into in and completed a defensive driving courseon my own accord, which I completed. When I appeared in court, I was given the opportunity to plead guilty to reckless driving, and paid a fine of $ 1,271.00. Aside from the judicial fines, I was also forced to appeared before the Student Judicial Board at my university. I completed an online alcohol education program as well as forty hours of community service. All of the requirements associated with my offense have been successfully completed. I successfully completed all of the requirements associated with my indiscretions/offense(s) (try to avoid the passive voice). "

Looking back, being Getting arrested for DUI is the most shameful and dishonorable experience of my life. However, it undoubtedly allowed me to recognize my faults and reevaluate my life and actions. Since that time, I have grown and matured as an individual, and I look back at that instance as a painful lessonlearned. I no longer see operating a vehicle after consuming alcohol as an option,and if I do not have a safe method home, I abstain from drinking.

Why did the 6 cops bust down the door and draw guns? Was it in the dorms? That's pretty crazy. My friends were burning incense in their dorm room freshmen year. The RA thought it was weed, but he did not call the cops, and no doors were busted down. No guns were drawn. It sounds like a crazy overreaction to college kids toking in the dorms/off campus apartment/house.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”