MY FULL CRIMINAL RECORD!!! (addendum) - input needed

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
3v3ryth1ng
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:48 pm

MY FULL CRIMINAL RECORD!!! (addendum) - input needed

Postby 3v3ryth1ng » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:20 am

The following is a C&F addendum I wrote. Those of you with true insight into C&F issues, please read it and let me know if I did it right. Are there any problems with the way I wrote it? Is there a way I could have written it to minimize its damage, or possibly even help my application?

I'm very new to this, so your well-intentioned input or expertise is appreciated!
Thanks TLS!


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Character & Fitness Addendum

Juvenile Record

• In October 2000, I was arrested for and later convicted of driving under the influence of alcohol (DUI), a misdemeanor. I was given probation, a fine, and a yearlong license suspension.

• In October 2000, I was arrested for and later convicted of possession for sale of Marijuana, a felony. I was sentenced to 60 days of juvenile detention and 2 years of probation. In addition, I was fined, required to attend Narcotics Anonymous meetings, and had my driving privileges suspended for an additional year. The conviction was later reduced from felony to misdemeanor through a 17b motion, and subsequently expunged.

I committed these offenses during a particularly tumultuous period in my life. However, I chose to learn from these mistakes, and shortly thereafter, I quit drugs and drinking permanently. My desire to misbehave dissipated with maturity. I have since led a productive life, and I currently have 11 years sobriety.

Adult Record

• On August 25, 2003, I was issued a citation for violating our city’s dog leash law when my dog escaped overnight. I paid the fine and made sure my dog never escaped again.

• On January 21, 2004, I was issued a traffic ticket for failing to stop at a stop sign. I completed traffic school for the offense.

• On December 29, 2004 I was issued a “fix-it” ticket for having expired registration tags on my car. I submitted proof of correction and the ticket was dismissed.

• On July 6, 2006, I was issued a ticket for failing to make a compete stop at a red light. I completed traffic school for the offense.

• On June 8, 2008, I was issued a “fix-it” ticket for having a burned-out taillight on my car. I submitted proof of correction and the ticket was dismissed.

• On April 5, 2008, I was issued a traffic ticket for driving over the posted speed limit. I did not contest, and I paid the fine.

• On December 9, 2008, I was cited for driving without a valid driver’s license. I was unaware that my license had expired because DMV notices were being sent to my old address. I took immediate action and renewed my license the same day. However, I was found guilty of the charge, a misdemeanor.

• On November 4, 2009, I was issued a traffic ticket for talking on a cell phone while driving. I completed traffic school for the offense.

• On November 30, 2009, I was issued a “fix-it” ticket for having a burned out taillight and expired registration tags. I submitted proof of correction and both charges were dismissed.

I make no excuses for these offenses. I have taken all necessary corrective actions, and I am actively working to prevent similar offenses in the future (fixing broken taillights, paying fees in a timely manner, driving responsibly, etc.). I don’t believe these offenses should be viewed as a reflection of my character.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18426
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: MY FULL CRIMINAL RECORD!!! (addendum) - input needed

Postby bk1 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:40 am

3v3ryth1ng wrote:On December 9, 2008, I was cited for driving without a valid driver’s license. I was unaware that my license had expired because DMV notices were being sent to my old address. I took immediate action and renewed my license the same day. However, I was found guilty of the charge, a misdemeanor.


Isn't the expiration date printed on the license? If so I would definitely not use this excuse.

User avatar
3v3ryth1ng
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:48 pm

Re: MY FULL CRIMINAL RECORD!!! (addendum) - input needed

Postby 3v3ryth1ng » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:44 am

bk1 wrote:
3v3ryth1ng wrote:On December 9, 2008, I was cited for driving without a valid driver’s license. I was unaware that my license had expired because DMV notices were being sent to my old address. I took immediate action and renewed my license the same day. However, I was found guilty of the charge, a misdemeanor.


Isn't the expiration date printed on the license? If so I would definitely not use this excuse.


Shit, I guess it is! I never paid attention to it since I never had to worry about it until then. Silly/stupid me. Excellent point, and I will definitely write something else for that. Any suggestions on how I should address it? Everything I've said is true, even the part about the notices.



How's it look otherwise?

UMiamiCane
Posts: 276
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:18 am

Re: MY FULL CRIMINAL RECORD!!! (addendum) - input needed

Postby UMiamiCane » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:57 am

Do the schools you are applying to require you to disclose minor non-moving violations like the fix-it tickets, minor traffic infractions like stop signs, and city ordinance violations like the leash law? If not, I would leave all of those out.

User avatar
soitgoes9
Posts: 187
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:45 pm

Re: MY FULL CRIMINAL RECORD!!! (addendum) - input needed

Postby soitgoes9 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:01 am

UMiamiCane wrote:Do the schools you are applying to require you to disclose minor non-moving violations like the fix-it tickets, minor traffic infractions like stop signs, and city ordinance violations like the leash law? If not, I would leave all of those out.


+1 if not needed then i would omit them

geauxsaints
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:52 am

Re: MY FULL CRIMINAL RECORD!!! (addendum) - input needed

Postby geauxsaints » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:19 pm

Since your offenses occurred as a juvenile, I would include the school year you were in during your arrest. For example...

In October 2000, during my senior year of high school, I was arrested for and later convicted of ....


I think that doing this will re-emphasize that you were a juvenile during the arrest.

Also, take the word "drugs" out of your explanation. "Drugs" sound much worse than marijuana.

However, I chose to learn from these mistakes, and shortly thereafter, I quit drugs marijuana and drinking permanently.
Last edited by geauxsaints on Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
oaken
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:27 am

Re: MY FULL CRIMINAL RECORD!!! (addendum) - input needed

Postby oaken » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Maybe you're just leaving them out for TLS, but definitely include the locations of the violations as well

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: MY FULL CRIMINAL RECORD!!! (addendum) - input needed

Postby JoeMo » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:33 pm

soitgoes9 wrote:
UMiamiCane wrote:Do the schools you are applying to require you to disclose minor non-moving violations like the fix-it tickets, minor traffic infractions like stop signs, and city ordinance violations like the leash law? If not, I would leave all of those out.


+1 if not needed then i would omit them


+2, I asked some schools and they told me they didn't need them. They only needed arrests. Nothing that was disposed of by paying a fine. I asked others and they wanted everything. Like George Mason.

User avatar
3v3ryth1ng
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:48 pm

Re: MY FULL CRIMINAL RECORD!!! (addendum) - input needed

Postby 3v3ryth1ng » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:37 pm

oaken wrote:Maybe you're just leaving them out for TLS, but definitely include the locations of the violations as well


Locations? Should I have city/state, or would county suffice?

Also, do they check up on this stuff? Like, if I accidentally put the wrong city or missed a long-forgotten fix-it ticket, how would that affect me?

User avatar
3v3ryth1ng
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:48 pm

Re: MY FULL CRIMINAL RECORD!!! (addendum) - input needed

Postby 3v3ryth1ng » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:39 pm

JoeMo wrote:
soitgoes9 wrote:
UMiamiCane wrote:Do the schools you are applying to require you to disclose minor non-moving violations like the fix-it tickets, minor traffic infractions like stop signs, and city ordinance violations like the leash law? If not, I would leave all of those out.


+1 if not needed then i would omit them


+2, I asked some schools and they told me they didn't need them. They only needed arrests. Nothing that was disposed of by paying a fine. I asked others and they wanted everything. Like George Mason.


Thanks for that advice!
I will make a couple versions of this- one with everything, one without fix-its, one without tickets altogether.

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: MY FULL CRIMINAL RECORD!!! (addendum) - input needed

Postby JoeMo » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:42 pm

3v3ryth1ng wrote:
oaken wrote:Maybe you're just leaving them out for TLS, but definitely include the locations of the violations as well


Locations? Should I have city/state, or would county suffice?

Also, do they check up on this stuff? Like, if I accidentally put the wrong city or missed a long-forgotten fix-it ticket, how would that affect me?


If they require it to apply to the law school it's because they require it to be admitted to the bar in that state. When you go to apply to the bar, you can't lie to those people. You'll have to get a full driving history etc...

So if your law school wanted you to omit minor driving offenses then they won't care if you didn't disclose it. But if your school wanted you to disclose them and you didn't, then it becomes a headache. You have to go back to the dean and get a certification that if you had disclosed they would still admit you. And most of the time they end up giving it to you but you still look like a d-bag in the process.

User avatar
3v3ryth1ng
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:48 pm

Re: MY FULL CRIMINAL RECORD!!! (addendum) - input needed

Postby 3v3ryth1ng » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:54 pm

JoeMo wrote:If they require it to apply to the law school it's because they require it to be admitted to the bar in that state. When you go to apply to the bar, you can't lie to those people. You'll have to get a full driving history etc...

So if your law school wanted you to omit minor driving offenses then they won't care if you didn't disclose it. But if your school wanted you to disclose them and you didn't, then it becomes a headache. You have to go back to the dean and get a certification that if you had disclosed they would still admit you. And most of the time they end up giving it to you but you still look like a d-bag in the process.


One reason I'm asking is because the full driving histories and background checks require money/fingerprints, then a 2 week wait. I think I have everything, but there's a slight chance I may have missed something. Hell, I didn't actually even know about the dog leash ticket existed (I wasn't even living there- I guess my mom received the ticket and paid it).

So they would go back and compare what I disclosed to the law school and what I disclosed to the bar?

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: MY FULL CRIMINAL RECORD!!! (addendum) - input needed

Postby JoeMo » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:42 pm

3v3ryth1ng wrote:One reason I'm asking is because the full driving histories and background checks require money/fingerprints, then a 2 week wait. I think I have everything, but there's a slight chance I may have missed something. Hell, I didn't actually even know about the dog leash ticket existed (I wasn't even living there- I guess my mom received the ticket and paid it).

So they would go back and compare what I disclosed to the law school and what I disclosed to the bar?


Unfortunately, yes. They look at what you disclosed in the application to the law school you ultimately attended and what you included on your bar app. Anything that doesn't sit well with them gets questioned.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], nubcs and 4 guests