Employment section of applications

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Jolly_J88

Employment section of applications

Postby Jolly_J88 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:49 pm

I am under the impression that we can draft and tweak our resume to our own liking, but we have to list every single job we ever had within the employment section?? Do I have to include jobs I worked at for a couple of weeks throughout my college career (temp jobs, jobs I hated)?

Gail

Re: Employment section of applications

Postby Gail » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:13 am

Jolly_J88 wrote:I am under the impression that we can draft and tweak our resume to our own liking, but we have to list every single job we ever had within the employment section?? Do I have to include jobs I worked at for a couple of weeks throughout my college career (temp jobs, jobs I hated)?

I actually called a law school about something similar. I asked about jobs that I had in junior high school. The lady that I spoke with said that I could include them if I wanted, but they were so far back that she didn't see why I would.

curiouscat

Postby curiouscat » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:12 am

Well, junior high is a different matter...
OP, if you really don't want to list a couple of really minor positions from college, for whatever reason, I doubt anyone would care, though I don't see how more WE can hurt (even if it's just a bunch of temp jobs).

Jolly_J88

Postby Jolly_J88 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:45 am

Well I was hired under a temp agency, and they gave me around 10 jobs over the course of one year. I don't want it to seem like I am not able to hold a job..

nygrl

Postby nygrl » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:07 am

I did temp work while in college as well. In the employment section, I lumped all of my temp jobs into the same section and listed the Temp Agency as my employer. My temp jobs were all pretty similar in nature (either answering phones or doing data entry), so it made sense to put everything together. I also submitted a resume to every school I applied to, which further explained the nature of the work.

ptorsten13

Postby ptorsten13 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:17 am

Quick question: do you need to complete the employment section of the application and include a resume? It seems redundant to prepare both, but I'd love to know because, thus far, I've been checking the "This Section Doesn't Apply to Me" box and moving on.

ptorsten13

Postby ptorsten13 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:14 pm

Any thoughts?

nygrl

Postby nygrl » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:31 pm

I would say filling in the employment section is a necessary step in the application process, whereas a resume would help to expand upon any significant work experience. My employment section was really basic- I just put the necessary info for all of the jobs and internships I've had (ex. employer, dates worked, position name). I put in everything because the question asked for all jobs and internships after high school. For my resume, I just put the most significant work experience I had, highlighted what my responsibilities were, and listed any transferable skills to law school/law profession. I did this for every school except for one which explicitly asked me to list all jobs and internships on the resume - that one I listed out everything. It's definitely a pain and redundant to do but the nice thing is that the employment section should automatically populate for every subsequent app you do so you only really have to fill it out once.

ptorsten13

Postby ptorsten13 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:13 pm

Thanks for the info... back to work, I guess.

Jolly_J88

Postby Jolly_J88 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:05 pm

So, general consensus is list all employment (all jobs since the beginning of college)?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”