Pre-Law Jobs

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
inthebeginning

Pre-Law Jobs

Postby inthebeginning » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:31 pm

Does anyone have any understanding of how how pre-law jobs are evaluated in the application process at t14? Especially if your job isn't pre-law (TFA, Paralegal, etc.). I've worked at a financial services company in ny for a couple of years in biz dev/strategy space. Wondering if anyone has any input on how this is viewed.

Another question I have - if I know definately that I want to do biglaw out of school, do I write about it in my essays? Seems obvious to me that the answer would be yes but I'm a noob. Thanks.

rinkrat19

Re: Pre-Law Jobs

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:40 pm

Work experience is generally somewhat of a plus. They don't care that it's not legal. A legal job probably gives someone a better idea of whether they really do want to be a lawyer, but doesn't seem to give them any leg up in the applications process (aside from being better able to write about the legal profession.)

Northwestern considers post-grad/pre-law school work experience something very close to a requirement. They don't care what kind, as long as it's a vaguely "grown-up" job and you appear to be a mature, self-sufficient adult.

Your personal statement should be PERSONAL. You are introducing yourself to the adcomms in such a way as to also hint that you'd be a great student for their school. It's not supposed to be just a dissertation on "My Goals After Law School" or "Why I Want To Go To Law School," if you don't also talk about who you are and where you've been.

inthebeginning

Re: Pre-Law Jobs

Postby inthebeginning » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:07 pm

Thanks for the insight.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”