What should I be doing in the summer?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
crazi4law

What should I be doing in the summer?

Postby crazi4law » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:04 am

What would be most recommended for the summer after sophomore and the summer after junior year? I was planning to find finance internships (I'm a finance major), would that be good?

Grizz

Re: What should I be doing in the summer?

Postby Grizz » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:20 am

In before "fap"

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:54 am

It's late . . . I'm drinking . . . and getting my ass kicked in mafia . . . so I'll bite.

IMO, you should do something that will be useful to you as a student. Don't do something just because it might "look good for law school." Don't waste your time that way. Do something that will really benefit you and your career. Find something that you're passionate about and commit your time to that. College summers are a great opportunity to really explore all sorts of things. You should take advantage of that.

During my sophomore year of UG, I interned for a Congressman in DC. It was a wonderful experience. Some of my friends did study abroad and they really loved that.

Whatever you do, just make sure it's something that you really want to do. There are so many great options out there, don't do something just for the sake of doing it.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:59 am

One of the genuinely good things about law school admissions (and one of the reasons that way too many people are applying every year) is that there isn't a rigid path you have to follow in undergrad to get there. You have the freedom to do what you want with your summers. Honestly, the best thing from a purely strategic standpoint (though I do believe there is real value in just expanding your horizon) would be to do something like finance, which would set you up for a career after college so that you wouldn't feel trapped in law. You could still go down the law school path if you were still sure that was what you wanted to do, but you wouldn't be in the position of feeling like you had to go to law school for lack of other options.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”