C&F Question...even before I get ready to apply

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cornblight

C&F Question...even before I get ready to apply

Postby cornblight » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:49 am

I am an undergraduate at HYP (junior) and with the realization that my GPA puts me in T14 (even T6) realm, I'm considering taking the LSAT and applying to law school. However, I am pretty concerned that an incident which pretty perfectly falls under C & F issues might pose a problem for my application and even for the bar. :(

Essentially, I am part of one of the a cappella groups for my school, and in February there is an initiation which involves a really really elaborate scavenger hunt for each of the freshmen in the singing group. My sophomore year, I was play-acting as a member of the Brady Brunch in one of the churches here at my school during this initiation for one of our freshmen. I was caught (obviously and of course) and was sent before our disciplinary board for hazing and for trespassing. No alcohol was involved. I received a reprimand, which is a punishment for which they remove all record after I graduate (the rules state it is a "matter of internal record only" and will basically be a problem for me if I ever go before the disciplinary board again, but isn't supposed to affect future employment).

I am now in a leadership position in this singing group and have played an instrumental role in changing our initiation practices to be totally in line with our school's hazing policy, and have had numerous meetings with my dean about how to do so.

Obviously, C & F is a pretty unique case though, and I will have to disclose this on my law school application and my bar C & F should I choose to pursue a career in law. My question is, though these facts are not pretty, will they be a significant hindrance should I choose to go to law school? Is there anything I can do now to show my reversal of judgment? Would I be better off going a different route in terms of careers and not risking the potentially problematic bar issue? I really think that law school might be a good fit for me, and I would be disappointed if a stupid and confused choice at one point in my undergraduate career stood in my way.

Thanks!

curiouscat

Re: C&F Question...even before I get ready to apply

Postby curiouscat » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:30 pm

This is pretty funny.

Disclose and you're be fine. You might give the bar committee a little chuckle too.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:34 pm

There's no issue. You're fine.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:35 pm

Oh also, when you go to apply, if you don't feel like making a big deal of it, ask each school that you apply to if you have to disclose something like that even though it's "internal" and they'll tell you.

Different schools will tell you different things but as long as you follow THEIR rules you're fine.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:28 pm

This is like the perfect example of something that can only get you in trouble if you don't disclose it, and otherwise it's not an issue at all.

Don't you people realize how many terrible human beings get to be lawyers??

lats19nys

Postby lats19nys » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:33 pm

like you said your school probably won't disclose it. I would talk to your pre law adviser/student life dean to see how they would report it. Having some familiarity with this, reprimands, like you stated, do not get reported. So...you can do with it what you like. If you do write an explanation eventually, it could be extremely brief.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:42 pm

Wait... what?

OhioRider22

Postby OhioRider22 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:39 pm

I hope this is a joke. :roll:
And you're going to apply to law school because you have a high GPA and might be able to crack the T6? Do you have an interest in law? I hear that helps.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:42 pm

I would take the LSAT before I started worrying about passing C+F because you broke into a church dressed like Marcia Brady

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:09 pm

OhioRider22 wrote:And you're going to apply to law school because you have a high GPA and might be able to crack the T6? Do you have an interest in law? I hear that helps.

Dude this. You're applying to LS just because of your gpa? Why don't you go into consulting or something? If it's that high from hyp you clearly have better options than law school

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:15 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
OhioRider22 wrote:And you're going to apply to law school because you have a high GPA and might be able to crack the T6? Do you have an interest in law? I hear that helps.

Dude this. You're applying to LS just because of your gpa? Why don't you go into consulting or something? If it's that high from hyp you clearly have better options than law school

Pretty sure OP said he/she was just considering taking the LSAT and applying to law school. He/she never said it was only option he/she was considering, so relax. Is it really that unwise or strange to keep open the idea of law school with a high GPA and potentially a high LSAT? Of course not. /rant.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:12 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
YourCaptain wrote:

Pretty sure OP said he/she was just considering taking the LSAT and applying to law school. He/she never said it was only option he/she was considering, so relax. Is it really that unwise or strange to keep open the idea of law school with a high GPA and potentially a high LSAT? Of course not. /rant.

The guy likes dressing up as a member of the Brady Bunch and running around campus. Whole variety of reasons law might not be right for him.

And I refuse to be told to relax. Three continuous hours of TF2 have made me all sorts of fucked up.

cornblight

Postby cornblight » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:38 pm

Haha, I'm not considering applying to law school because I have a high GPA. I'm saying my (pre-existing, for reasons that are irrelevant to this thread) interest in law school isn't ruled out because I feel confident I have the potential to gain admission to a school where I could still get a job.

My understanding from these forums is that those who don't attend a decent school ought to actively suppress their interest in the law in favor of other opportunities because the market is so tough. No need to get judgmental about my future plans--you have no idea why I have absolutely no interest in consulting and a significant and personal motivation for getting a law degree.

Anyway, thanks for putting my fears to rest everyone else; UG is a silly time and sometimes doing well and enjoying oneself entails imaginative scavenger hunts involving Brady Bunch characters (as long as we respect the school's regulations in doing so).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”