The Three Best Pieces of Admissions Advice from 1L Student

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
neonx

The Three Best Pieces of Admissions Advice from 1L Student

Postby neonx » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:14 am

Hey guys,

I love this community, and I was a frequent poster last year. I learned so much from this web site, and now I want to give back. (I'm currently a 1L at Stanford who had favorable cycle with a 168/3.8X last year.)

I'm offering three personal pieces advice for those who are currently applying at the last minute and/or still awaiting decisions. They worked for me.

1. WRITE LETTERS OF CONTINUED INTEREST. I wrote over ten LOCIs for many, many schools (including 3+ for Stanford and Harvard -- the latter of which I eventually received an WL/JR1 offer in late August.)

2. DO NOT WORRY ABOUT RESUME LENGTH. My resume was over three pages. Do not get fooled into conforming toward the "one page resume" bit (unless it's for Northwestern.)

3. TAKE CREATIVE RISKS. If your numbers are below 25th percentile for LSAT, GPA, or both, take some risks. I wrote unorthodox diversity and personal statements which I think worked to my benefit. If you're a strong prose/narrative writer, show the admissions committee.

Also, take advantage of all the "scholarships" out there (USC, NYU, come to mind specifically!). SEO is a great program for minority/diversity applicants.

Good-luck, TLS!

neonx

P.S. The TLS community from last year's cycle currently at SLS is wonderful! I hang out with some ex-posters every week. =) I hope everyone gets a chance to go to the ASW TLS meet-ups and make some fabulous friends!
Last edited by neonx on Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Yeshia90

Re: The Three Best Pieces of Admissions Advice from 1L Student

Postby Yeshia90 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:20 am

You're aware that you probably had the best cycle in recorded history, right?

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:21 am

neonx wrote:Hey guys,

I love this community, and I was a frequent poster last year. I learned so much from this web site, and now I want to give back. (I'm currently a 1L at Stanford who had favorable cycle with a 168/3.8X last year.)

I wanted to give three personal pieces advice for those who are currently applying at the last minute and/or still awaiting decisions. They worked for me:

1. WRITE LETTERS OF CONTINUED INTEREST. I wrote over ten LOCIs for many, many schools (including 3+ for Stanford and Harvard -- the latter of which I eventually received an WL/JR1 offer in late August.)

2. DO NOT WORRY ABOUT RESUME LENGTH. My resume was over three pages. Do not get fooled into conforming toward the "one page resume" bit (unless it's for Northwestern.)

3. TAKE CREATIVE RISKS. If your numbers are below 25th percentile for LSAT, GPA, or both, take some risks. I wrote unorthodox diversity and personal statements which I think worked to my benefit. If you're a strong prose/narrative writer, show the admissions committee.

Also, take advantage of all of the "Scholarships" out there (USC, NYU, come to mind specifically!)

Good-luck, TLS!

neonx

P.S. The TLS community from last year's cycle currently at SLS are wonderful! I hope everyone gets a chance to go to the ASW TLS meet-ups and make some fabulous friends!

Diversity statement? Are you a URM?

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:23 am

Thanks neonx. I don't know if I could bring myself to writing that many LOCIs. I hate to seem like a nag, but still thanks for the advice.

neonx

Postby neonx » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:24 am

NoleinNY wrote:

I wanted to give three personal pieces advice for those who are currently applying at the last minute and/or still awaiting decisions. They worked for me:

Also, take advantage of all of the "Scholarships" out there (USC, NYU, come to mind specifically!)

Good-luck, TLS!

neonx

P.S. The TLS community from last year's cycle currently at SLS are wonderful! I hope everyone gets a chance to go to the ASW TLS meet-ups and make some fabulous friends!

Diversity statement? Are you a URM?

LGBT.

neonx

Postby neonx » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:26 am

Tom Joad wrote:Thanks neonx. I don't know if I could bring myself to writing that many LOCIs. I hate to seem like a nag, but still thanks for the advice.

Just my personal advice. I remember sending a LOCI and receiving an admissions offer the next Friday (e.g. Penn, Duke, Cornell come to mind.) Could be coincidence.

Kimberly

Postby Kimberly » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:35 am

neonx wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:Thanks neonx. I don't know if I could bring myself to writing that many LOCIs. I hate to seem like a nag, but still thanks for the advice.

Just my personal advice. I remember sending a LOCI and receiving an admissions offer the next Friday (e.g. Penn, Duke, Cornell come to mind.) Could be coincidence.

What is the timing on these LOCI. There are a few schools I would love to hear from and have been waiting since I submitted on the first day apps were available. I know each of these schools have already extended offers to RD applicants. When should I send my first LOCI? And, should I send an updated CV with the LOCI (I do have good updates- new pubs).

neonx

Postby neonx » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:36 am

Kimberly wrote:
neonx wrote:

What is the timing on these LOCI. There are a few schools I would love to hear from and have been waiting since I submitted on the first day apps were available. I know each of these schools have already extended offers to RD applicants. When should I send my first LOCI? And, should I send an updated CV with the LOCI (I do have good updates- new pubs).

After apps were "completed" (according to status checkers), I sent a short one-page LOCI once per month per school.

I submitted my resume once for each school, because there was a new place of employment.

Antrim

Postby Antrim » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:05 am

LSAT, GPA, and luck

3v3ryth1ng

Postby 3v3ryth1ng » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:06 am

I'm offering three personal pieces advice for those who are currently applying at the last minute and/or still awaiting decisions. They worked for me.

Also, take advantage of all the "scholarships" out there (USC, NYU, come to mind specifically!). SEO is a great program for minority/diversity applicants.

Good-luck, TLS!

neonx

P.S. The TLS community from last year's cycle currently at SLS is wonderful! I hang out with some ex-posters every week. =) I hope everyone gets a chance to go to the ASW TLS meet-ups and make some fabulous friends!

It's great to hear this advice! Thanks!
I particularly like the part about taking risks with the PS. Conventional wisdom on here is to play it conservatively with the PS. I can't for the life of me understand how that's supposed to help someone stand out. It looks like you had a great cycle, so I think some of those "conventional" applicants should be taking tips from you.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:02 pm

Antrim wrote:LSAT, GPA, and luck

99%

citykitty

Postby citykitty » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:06 pm

Yeshia90 wrote:You're aware that you probably had the best cycle in recorded history, right?

Nah, I'm crossing my fingers for CLS admit to best him.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:09 pm

citykitty wrote:
Yeshia90 wrote:You're aware that you probably had the best cycle in recorded history, right?

Nah, I'm crossing my fingers for CLS admit to best him.

Neon's would still be better.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:56 pm

agree with everything except the 3 pg long resume...neon, u prob had 3 pages of worthy stuff...most people dont, especially people like me who r fresh outa undergrad.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:01 pm

Any advice on getting into Stanford? Crossing my fingers for a response. :oops:

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:08 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:Any advice on getting into Stanford? Crossing my fingers for a response. :oops:

3v3ryth1ng

Postby 3v3ryth1ng » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:23 am

thederangedwang wrote:agree with everything except the 3 pg long resume...neon, u prob had 3 pages of worthy stuff...most people dont, especially people like me who r fresh outa undergrad.

I think the point he's making is to not stress about keeping it all on a page. That's very helpful to me as my substantive experience is hard to fit on one page (I don't need 3). If you're fresh out of undergrad, you probably don't have much of a resume yet, and that's ok.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”