To addendum or not to addendum?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Duramax80

To addendum or not to addendum?

Postby Duramax80 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:34 pm

Here's my deal. I graduated undergrad in 2011, I got a Minor in Possession of Marijuana in 2007 (expunged), a DUI in 2008 (dropped to reckless), and a gpa of 2.68.

I am planning on writing an addendum for only the DUI and GPA, the Minor in Possession (MIP) has been expunged, and while I will disclose it, I will not write an addendum for it. I think the GPA and DUI are more important, and I a;ready feel like a fucktard for having 2 addendums...

The DUI occurred a long time ago, and has been my most recent violation of any kind, which I plan to emphasize in my addendum. Also, it showed me where I do not want to be- jail. Also, I was only charged with DUI, but convicted of reckless driving. That being said, the DUI was on me, and I dont plan to throw out any weak excuses for my own irresponsibility. I own my mistakes and try and move on. However, I went to the department that arrested me (for both DUI and MIP), requested a backround check, which came up clean as a whistle, no charges, arrests, or convictions. Should I disclose my arrests if they dont show up on a background check?

As for the GPA, I really need some help. I spent 5 years in undergrad, with several non-punitive withdrawls, and 7 F's. I explained in my PS how I had trouble finding a field of study that interested me, so I bounced around a lot. Also, I had a semested with 3 W's and 2 F's because I was sick, and the following semester I withdrew from all of my classes because I had mono, pneumonia, and bronchitis all at the same time. Needless to say, there is a gap in my transcripts that will definitely be noticed by the AdComs, which i feel like I should explain. Also, my senior year, I found my niche, and earned a spot on Deans List honor roll with a GPA of 3.75. So basically I started off bad, and finished strong in my last year, and came out with a measly 2.68. SHould I try and ome up with an addendum that explains my GPA or should I just leave it alone?

oaken

Re: To addendum or not to addendum?

Postby oaken » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:11 pm

Can you explain what you mean by "disclosing" something but not writing an addendum?

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:25 pm

Sounds like a mess. Disclose the minimum that is legally required. Believe me you'll still get into a law school. They don't really care about any of this stuff as long as you can pay.

Gail

Postby Gail » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:49 pm

MrAnon wrote:Sounds like a mess. Disclose the minimum that is legally required. Believe me you'll still get into a law school. They don't really care about any of this stuff as long as you can pay.

Believe me. They care.

Duramax80

Postby Duramax80 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:22 pm

this is what i have so far...

GPA ADDENDUM:

During my earlier years as an undergraduate, I had little concern for my grades, and found adjusting to college life to be difficult. Then, in 2008, I encountered a major hurdle in my life, losing two close friends in the span of a few short months. It began with losing one, (NAME 1), to a painful struggle with leukemia, ending his life at the age of 21 years old. Shortly after, (NAME 2), another young man I had grown up with, died due to a drug overdose by accidentally mixing incompatible medications. Coping with the loss of two close friends caused me to isolate myself and ignore my academic responsibilities. I ended up failing two classes and withdrawing from three, as the impact from these losses was too much. In the following semester, I was diagnosed with mononucleosis, and was forced to medically withdraw from an entire semester of school. Medical information can be provided upon request.
However, after dealing with the loss of my friends and successfully recuperating from my illness, I entered back into my undergraduate career to continue my education the following semester. As my academic career progressed, I enrolled into a law class (Spring 2010), and found my drive and direction I had been lacking thus far. Ignited by a passion for law, I transformed myself into a disciplined and motivated student, ready for new challenges. From spring 2010 until graduation in June of 2011, I earned a cumulative GPA of 3.7, and was even awarded a place on the Deans List honor roll. It is important to note that during the time span between 2010 and graduation, I was enrolled in the highest level and most demanding courses my institution offered, which I believe demonstrates my true capabilities as a student.

DUI ADDENDUM:

On December 12, 2007, I was arrested for DUI in (CITY, STATE), citation number XXXXXX. After being arrested, I enrolled myself into a defensive driving course on my own accord, which I completed. When I appeared in court, I was given the opportunity to plead guilty to reckless driving, and paid a fine of $ 1,271.00. Aside from the judicial fines, I was also forced to appear before the Student Judicial Board at my university. I completed an online alcohol program as well as forty hours of community service.
Looking back, being arrested for DUI is the most embarrassing and shameful experience of my life. However, it undoubtedly allowed me to recognize my faults and reevaluate my life and actions. Since that time, I have grown and matured as an individual, and I look back at that instance as a painful lesson learned. I can proudly say that I have realized the seriousness of my DUI, learned from it, and successfully moved on. I fully realize the severity of my past actions, and from that point on, my history has been clean and without any sort of violation.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:56 pm

Gail wrote:
MrAnon wrote:Sounds like a mess. Disclose the minimum that is legally required. Believe me you'll still get into a law school. They don't really care about any of this stuff as long as you can pay.

Believe me. They care.

No, they really don't. Maybe at BYU they'd care, but most places, no.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:13 pm

Yeah they really DON'T care. Schools with median GPAs of 2.9.....where do you think they find students? They predominately take students with 2.9s. As for criminality these schools have admitted convicted murderers. You can look it up. They will give you a buyer-beware warning about your criminality may disqualify you for bar admission, but the reality is that is doubtful, and two they don't care as long as you can pay tuition.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:29 pm

Some schools care, some don't. You'll get in at some places and be rejected at others. Getting into a Law School is not the problem, passing C&F is, which is why you want to disclose whatever is asked. Read the applications carefully and answer accordingly. Some only ask for convictions, others ask about arrests, charges, even questioning etc. Others ask to include records that have been sealed or expunged. Just answer accordingly and pursuant to the specific question(s) asked.

You don't want to run into problems with C&F down the line because you failed to disclose stuff on your law school application.

Gail

Postby Gail » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:53 pm

cinephile wrote:
Gail wrote:

Believe me. They care.

No, they really don't. Maybe at BYU they'd care, but most places, no.

I'm telling you. I've been waitlisted at places where my numbers should be a lock. They care. This mantra that the "other" doesn't matter needs to stop because its giving other people a really bad impression and it will get their hopes up only to be flattened.

I'm 166/3.6, not outstanding, but good enough for a lower Tier 1 with scholarship.

You know who just waitlisted me today? Fucking Arizona. Ari-fucking-zona. The most prestigious, amazing, incredible law school in... Tucson.

Why? PS? I can't figure. LORs? Nah. C&F Addenda? DING DING DING

Numbers are not 99% of the game. They're more important for law school than med school, b-school, or any other advanced program, but they are nowhere near 99%

80%, maybe.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:19 pm

^ There may be intangibles that matter, but I really don't think it has anything to do with a disciplinary addendum. I had one last year, and I don't believe it affected my cycle at all. Just because your numbers are above median doesn't mean you'll get in, no one's a lock anywhere. Are you from Arizona, because that might have affected your chances. There's also yield protection.

Besides, even your criminal/disciplinary record mattered somehow, it's too late to change that. Whatever people were charged with already happened, so why freak them out and make them worry about not getting in? Saying it really matters might encourage people to fail to disclose, which would be so much worse down the line. If advice isn't helpful, why give it?

Duramax80

Postby Duramax80 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:29 pm

Dont worry about hurting my feelings, and I plan to disclose everything. My criminal history blows, I know, but all I can do now is move forward. Thats why I came to you guys in the first place, to make sure my PS and addendums are the best they can be so I have a fighting chance at a decent school. I know the soft factors dont count as much as compared to the numbers, but its all Ive got to work with. I appreciate the advice, and I hope you guys might be willing to help me out.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”