GPA Addendum?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
zarathustra25

GPA Addendum?

Postby zarathustra25 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:38 pm

My LSAC GPA is a 3.78, but my GPA at the university I've studied at the past 3 years is a 3.95 and I have only had one B in the past 4 years of undergrad. (Double major in my 6th year). My first two years of undergrad were at the community college here and the first two semesters I got a couple of C's (computers, business), a B- (COBOL programming), and some B's. I essentially never showed up to high school and went to community college to avoid working full-time in the service industry. I have since come to love undergrad. I think that I could make a case that I was unprepared those first semesters for college and that I matured quickly. I am curious whether an addendum should be sent to account for an upward trend or if this is just overkill. I would normally consider it silly, but because my GPA would be above 75th percentiles had it not been for the first two semesters I am thinking an addendum could be worthwhile. Is it worth sending an addendum for this or should I assume the adcomms will reach the conclusion that I was unprepared my first year on their own? Also, is there a limit on addenda? I am already submitting a diversity statement and a C&F addendum. Thanks.

Edit: Happy holidays!

MrShneebly

Re: GPA Addendum?

Postby MrShneebly » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:49 pm

zarathustra25 wrote:My LSAC GPA is a 3.78, but my GPA at the university I've studied at the past 3 years is a 3.95 and I have only had one B in the past 4 years of undergrad. (Double major in my 6th year). My first two years of undergrad were at the community college here and the first two semesters I got a couple of C's (computers, business), a B- (COBOL programming), and some B's. I essentially never showed up to high school and went to community college to avoid working full-time in the service industry. I have since come to love undergrad. I think that I could make a case that I was unprepared those first semesters for college and that I matured quickly. I am curious whether an addendum should be sent to account for an upward trend or if this is just overkill. I would normally consider it silly, but because my GPA would be above 75th percentiles had it not been for the first two semesters I am thinking an addendum could be worthwhile. Is it worth sending an addendum for this or should I assume the adcomms will reach the conclusion that I was unprepared my first year on their own? Also, is there a limit on addenda? I am already submitting a diversity statement and a C&F addendum. Thanks.

Edit: Happy holidays!

I think you'll be fine without, unless the bit about being in high school at the same time isn't obvious. I don't think having a gpa explanation will get you ahead of someone with a similar gpa with regards to scholly, but I'm not on adcomm either.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:32 pm

No, you have no valid reason.

zarathustra25

Postby zarathustra25 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:45 pm

Thanks for the replies. I was leaning toward not including one. Hopefully the trend speaks for itself.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”