UBC vs. T14 US Schools

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cactuarX3

UBC vs. T14 US Schools

Postby cactuarX3 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:08 am

Is there anyone in the house who knows about how to compare Canadian law schools and the top US law schools? I'm weighing whether or not to apply to UBC because I just LOVE Vancouver and would kill to work there. However, I'm concerned about the portability of a Canadian law degree in the US. Also, I've already been accepted to a t14 here. So, in the end, I have 2 questions:

1) If I get a Canadian degree, is it competitive for US law firms?
2) Would it be a waste of money to apply to UBC now that I already have an acceptance here? As in, would a t14 degree from the US be portable in Canada?

Any input/opinions/flame/LOLcats are appreciated. Thanks and happy holidays!

QuincyWagstaff

Re: UBC vs. T14 US Schools

Postby QuincyWagstaff » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:13 am

cactuarX3 wrote:2) Would it be a waste of money to apply to UBC now that I already have an acceptance here? As in, would a t14 degree from the US be portable in Canada?

The deadline was December 1st, so you've missed your chance to apply to UBC already.

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:14 am

QuincyWagstaff wrote:
cactuarX3 wrote:2) Would it be a waste of money to apply to UBC now that I already have an acceptance here? As in, would a t14 degree from the US be portable in Canada?

The deadline was December 1st, so you've missed your chance to apply to UBC already.

FML; i guess that solves my dilemma

Another Hutz

Postby Another Hutz » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:00 am

cactuarX3 wrote:
QuincyWagstaff wrote:

FML; i guess that solves my dilemma

Deadline was moved to February 1st.
--LinkRemoved--

Call UBC to confirm but I'm pretty sure you can still apply.

QuincyWagstaff

Postby QuincyWagstaff » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:35 am

cactuarX3 wrote:Is there anyone in the house who knows about how to compare Canadian law schools and the top US law schools? I'm weighing whether or not to apply to UBC because I just LOVE Vancouver and would kill to work there. However, I'm concerned about the portability of a Canadian law degree in the US. Also, I've already been accepted to a t14 here. So, in the end, I have 2 questions:

1) If I get a Canadian degree, is it competitive for US law firms?
2) Would it be a waste of money to apply to UBC now that I already have an acceptance here? As in, would a t14 degree from the US be portable in Canada?

Any input/opinions/flame/LOLcats are appreciated. Thanks and happy holidays!

Sorry, the deadline has been extended to February `1st. http://www.law.ubc.ca/prospective/jd/apply.html

Re: 1) and 2) above, read this article http://www.lawandstyle.ca/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=99 regarding the National Committee on Accreditation (NCA) process required for practicing in Canada.
Essentially, it's probably not going to happen, so do yourself a huge favor and decide where you want to live and work before you enroll in law school.

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:25 am

Thanks for all the advice so far!

Would it be better to do my studies in the US and then try to get accredited in Canada (if at some point I would like to work there) or is it easier to study in Canada and move to the US later on?

I imagine it's easier to study in the US and move to Canada later on, but that's just my assumption. Anyone know?

American_in_China

Postby American_in_China » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:19 pm

As almost anyone will tell you on this site, law degrees are not very portable. While a T14 might be able to get you into to Canada, IF you have contacts, if you start working in the U.S. it will be nigh impossible to go to Canada afterwards, and vice versa. Ideally, you should choose a T14 in a market/feeds a market you like, go there or NYC, and buckle down. If you go outside of T14, everyone will tell you to choose a school in a market you want to be in/have contacts.

Basically, stop thinking that this is like an MBA that allows to to switch companies and areas. IT ISN'T. Becoming a partner at a law firm is as much about making contacts and brining in business as it is being a good lawyer, and you can't do that if you switch cities.

KingsBench

Postby KingsBench » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:17 am

The NCA process of getting a foreign degree accredited is very cumbersome, regardless of which direction of the border you're travelling. Recognize that you're dealing with different laws, so if you're thinking of getting accredited in Canada from the US, be prepared to take (several) courses. However, from what I recall, law degrees in Ontario can give you some leeway in some states (NY pops to my mind). Some of this process is summarized here: http://prelawforum.wordpress.com/u-s-and-u-k-3-year-law-school-graduates-bar-admission-in-ontario/

Keep in mind that it's likely best to study where you want to work...at least this is the case in Canada, given that admission to the bar is impacted by which province you're completing law school. That being said, you're going to get a great education either way. UBC is a great school and the legal market we have at home is fairly solid; mind you, the opportunities of a law degree from a T14 also open up a lot of doors. Start weighing your options by looking towards future prospects or do a couple campus visits to see where you think you'll best fit. Best of luck!

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:22 am

KingsBench wrote:The NCA process of getting a foreign degree accredited is very cumbersome, regardless of which direction of the border you're travelling. Recognize that you're dealing with different laws, so if you're thinking of getting accredited in Canada from the US, be prepared to take (several) courses. However, from what I recall, law degrees in Ontario can give you some leeway in some states (NY pops to my mind). Some of this process is summarized here: http://prelawforum.wordpress.com/u-s-and-u-k-3-year-law-school-graduates-bar-admission-in-ontario/

Keep in mind that it's likely best to study where you want to work...at least this is the case in Canada, given that admission to the bar is impacted by which province you're completing law school. That being said, you're going to get a great education either way. UBC is a great school and the legal market we have at home is fairly solid; mind you, the opportunities of a law degree from a T14 also open up a lot of doors. Start weighing your options by looking towards future prospects or do a couple campus visits to see where you think you'll best fit. Best of luck!

Thanks for the info! How solid is the Vancouver legal market? As in, what % of grads from UBC are getting biglaw jobs with what median incomes? That would be very helpful. Thanks and happy holidays!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”