Resume/Employment Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TIKITEMBO

Resume/Employment Question

Postby TIKITEMBO » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:32 pm

Thanks!
Last edited by TIKITEMBO on Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Curious1

Re: Resume/Employment Question

Postby Curious1 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:36 pm

I think so. Your resume is just the things that you want to fit on a piece of paper. The work history section can be more comprehensive.

3v3ryth1ng

Postby 3v3ryth1ng » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:57 pm

TIKITEMBO wrote:So, I have a two page resume that is packed with info (no white space/well organized/two bullets per position, etc.) This thing is packed and spiffy. However, I included information that is most relevant to public interest work and my teaching experiences as well as internships and volunteering.

Here's the problem. I'm building a case that I worked a lot during my undergrad. And I did, but not as much in the positions on my resume as one's that I had to leave off. My question is, can I add these positions to the online application under the employment documents section (when schools ask for them) even though those positions are not on my resume? That's where schools ask for the number of hours you worked and that would make me look like I worked much more during undergrad than the current positions on their own. Another option would be to leave the hours out completely as they're not required, but I don't know that I want to do that. I just don't want the schools to be wondering why the info is on application and not in my resume.

It's generally understood that resumes aren't supposed to be comprehensive. It's more of a way to list your accomplishments. The work history is just places you've worked. I worked at a car wash when I was in college, but I think they'll understand if that's not on my resume. :P

TIKITEMBO

Postby TIKITEMBO » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:17 pm

Last edited by TIKITEMBO on Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:25 pm

A resume is supposed to be short and concise. Should look up some examples of resumes online.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:59 pm

Don't use bullets for each position, that wastes space. Just write a series of sentences for each ("Researched X. Drafted Y. Maintained z."). There's no need to list every little thing that you're proud of. If there is more than a page, just pick the most impressive or most recent things. You gotta cut it down to one page. If there's stuff that is cool that gets left off the resume, just think of it as a conversation topic for an interview.

TIKITEMBO

Postby TIKITEMBO » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:15 am

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”