LOR question (several questions actually)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
3v3ryth1ng

LOR question (several questions actually)

Postby 3v3ryth1ng » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:30 am

Here's my LOR situation:

I have 2 LORs already on file from a previous law school admission attempt in 2005. They are both from undergraduate professors.

-One is from a Literature professor in whose class I earned an "A." She's a great writer, I did some mentionable things in her class, and we had a good relationship, but I don't have a copy of the letter. I don't know what she said, and there's pretty much no way for me to find out.

-One is from a visiting professor in whose class I earned a "B+" (yeah, I know I should have picked an "A" class), but we had a good relationship. He is an editor at the LA times and a 40 yr journalism veteran. His letter, which he mailed me a copy of (LA Times letterhead), speaks highly of my abilities and uses great key words ("critical thinker, logical, analytical, passionate, etc."), but it lacks substantive specifics. The specifics it does give are rather lame IMO (about a paper I wrote, and some students I helped after hours), or maybe they're not; IDK. It DOES NOT mention that I got a "B+," he just says I was "near the top of the class." It's written in a very plain fashion, and I don't consider it to be all that strong-sounding. I'm not sure if it's weak either, because I really haven't seen any other undergrad academic LORs. Maybe it's ok for an LOR. I just have no frame of reference.

-I also have some new LORs coming in from my current boss (they're targeted toward different schools) which are strong. They talk about specific accomplishments, attest to my abilities, and I know she loves me. She wrote great letters. BUT they're not processed, and I don't know when they will be. They were sent a week ago.

Here are my questions:
---Should I just apply using the letters I have on file and send the other one (from my boss) later?
---CAN I even do that?
---If I had to choose one of the two older letters, which do you think is the better choice?
---Is the fact that I only received a "B+" in the one class even an issue if he doesn't mention it in the letter?
---Is having a "not too strong" letter the same as having a "weak" letter?
---Am I better off NOT sending all 3 letters, even if a school allows for 3?
---Any other helpful advice? (trolls GTFO!)

Thanks TLS!

3v3ryth1ng

Re: LOR question (several questions actually)

Postby 3v3ryth1ng » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:48 pm

bump

BiglawOrBust

Postby BiglawOrBust » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:12 pm

3v3ryth1ng wrote:---Should I just apply using the letters I have on file and send the other one (from my boss) later?
---CAN I even do that?

Yes.

3v3ryth1ng wrote:---If I had to choose one of the two older letters, which do you think is the better choice?

If you're willing to take a risk, try the lit. professor. If you want to play it safe, go with the journalist dude.

3v3ryth1ng wrote:---Is the fact that I only received a "B+" in the one class even an issue if he doesn't mention it in the letter?

No. Therefore, using this letter is also fine.

3v3ryth1ng wrote:---Is having a "not too strong" letter the same as having a "weak" letter?

I wouldn't think so. But you can spin it different ways, I suppose.

3v3ryth1ng wrote:---Am I better off NOT sending all 3 letters, even if a school allows for 3?

None of these sound bad, so I'd probably run with all three -- if permitted, of course.

3v3ryth1ng wrote:Thanks TLS!

You're welcome!

3v3ryth1ng

Postby 3v3ryth1ng » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:49 pm

BiglawOrBust wrote:
3v3ryth1ng wrote:---Should I just apply using the letters I have on file and send the other one (from my boss) later?
---CAN I even do that?

Yes.

3v3ryth1ng wrote:---If I had to choose one of the two older letters, which do you think is the better choice?

If you're willing to take a risk, try the lit. professor. If you want to play it safe, go with the journalist dude.

3v3ryth1ng wrote:---Is the fact that I only received a "B+" in the one class even an issue if he doesn't mention it in the letter?

No. Therefore, using this letter is also fine.

3v3ryth1ng wrote:---Is having a "not too strong" letter the same as having a "weak" letter?

I wouldn't think so. But you can spin it different ways, I suppose.

3v3ryth1ng wrote:---Am I better off NOT sending all 3 letters, even if a school allows for 3?

None of these sound bad, so I'd probably run with all three -- if permitted, of course.

3v3ryth1ng wrote:Thanks TLS!

You're welcome!

Merry Xmas, and thanks for the advice!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”