When is the best time to request a deferral? UVA

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kingjones59

When is the best time to request a deferral? UVA

Postby kingjones59 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:58 pm

Hey guys-

So, when my parents took out their "Parent PLUS" loans for undergrad, they said they were "happy to do so to help me". Only now did they reveal to me they were under the understanding that I would pay these off and they were doing it to get me a low-interest loan.... SO I have another $19K of debt I wasnt expecting, putting my total up to a whopping $42K. But I guess, really, this is besides the point. Here is my question:

I want to defer law school for one year so I can pay this 19K back to my parents then go to law school (I have a job offer for 60K, wont be a problem). I was accepted ED at UVA at the very beginning of the cycle. I know with ED requests for deferrals are a little more cloudy in terms of their certainty, which is why I want to get it in as soon as possible. But, how early is too early? Should I do it now? Anyone have any experiencing deferring to UVA (or better yet, deferring when accepted ED)?

Also: Before the "take the 60K job and run, dont go to law school" posts come in- Yes, I know, 60K straight out of undergrad is a pretty good deal. However, the job is not something I want to do for more than a year. It requires a lot of traveling and my heart has been set on practicing law for a very long time.

Thanks!

CanadianWolf

Re: When is the best time to request a deferral? UVA

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:47 pm

The best time to request a deferral is after you have been accepted. :D Not sure if an ED acceptee can defer, however. Best to ask Virginia admissions.

kingjones59

Postby kingjones59 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:17 pm

I would hope ED acceptances can defer...especially since deferrals are "binding", I am still showing the initial commitment to UVA through ED'ing but just pushing it back a year...

kingjones59

Postby kingjones59 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:52 pm

In case anyone was curious about the ability to defer as an ED acceptance (did not find too much about it) my request for deferral at UVA was granted after being accepted ED.

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:54 pm

I have good news and bad news. The good news is that I was accepted ED and deferred a year. The bad news is that UVA asked me to do it because they were overenrolled, so this probably doesn't help you at all.

fakehunter

Postby fakehunter » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:28 pm

Maybe they'll be more lenient if you reveal you need to do it for financial reasons, and not just because you couldn't make up your mind.

kingjones59

Postby kingjones59 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:27 pm

kingjones59 wrote:In case anyone was curious about the ability to defer as an ED acceptance (did not find too much about it) my request for deferral at UVA was granted after being accepted ED.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”