"Law Schools Could Face Wave of Class Actions in 2012"

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MTal

"Law Schools Could Face Wave of Class Actions in 2012"

Postby MTal » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:14 pm

Seems the lawsuits earlier this year were just the beginning.

--LinkRemoved--

Ludo!

Re: "Law Schools Could Face Wave of Class Actions in 2012"

Postby Ludo! » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:18 pm

Do you really purposely seek out articles about law school every day? If there were a profession I had gone to school for but then flunked out of I wouldn't waste all my time reading about it.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:21 pm

Thanks for posting this. The easy answer is to return to the pre-2005 bankruptcy laws which made student loan debt dischargeable. This would cause lenders to stop lending ridiculous amounts of money to fund & fuel inflated tuition charges.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:22 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:Do you really purposely seek out articles about law school every day? If there were a profession I had gone to school for but then flunked out of I wouldn't waste all my time reading about it.

I agree that Mtal trolls alot but this article is legit and I think this is something that we are going to see more of.

MTal

Postby MTal » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:25 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Thanks for posting this. The easy answer is to return to the pre-2005 bankruptcy laws which made student loan debt dischargeable. This would cause lenders to stop lending ridiculous amounts of money to fund & fuel inflated tuition charges.

I support ending all government support for student loans. Let private lenders decide whether to lend 100k to a cooley student.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:30 pm

shoeshine wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:Do you really purposely seek out articles about law school every day? If there were a profession I had gone to school for but then flunked out of I wouldn't waste all my time reading about it.

I agree that Mtal trolls alot but this article is legit and I think this is something that we are going to see more of.

If it was from anyone else it would be ok (although I don't think there's really anything particularly newsworthy about it) but from MTal its just more "see look I told you so! Don't go to law school!" Its really annoying at this point.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:34 pm

While some may not like the message, it's certainly worth reading, in my opinion.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:40 pm

MTal wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Thanks for posting this. The easy answer is to return to the pre-2005 bankruptcy laws which made student loan debt dischargeable. This would cause lenders to stop lending ridiculous amounts of money to fund & fuel inflated tuition charges.

I support ending all government support for student loans. Let private lenders decide whether to lend 100k to a cooley student.

STOP MAKING ME AGREE WITH YOU

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:04 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
MTal wrote:

STOP MAKING ME AGREE WITH YOU

+1. government is illegit.

MTal

Postby MTal » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:32 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:If it was from anyone else it would be ok (although I don't think there's really anything particularly newsworthy about it)

Nothing newsworth? The very institutions which this site promotes as being worthwhile are being sued for fraud.

PersuasiveCharm

Postby PersuasiveCharm » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:35 pm

In class action suits filed earlier this year, seven former students from New York Law School and Thomas M. Cooley School of Law

....I stopped reading after that.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:39 pm

MTal wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:If it was from anyone else it would be ok (although I don't think there's really anything particularly newsworthy about it)

Nothing newsworth? The very institutions which this site promotes as being worthwhile are being sued for fraud.

When a T1 law school actually gets sued for fraud let me know. Nobody on this site ever said it was worthwhile to go to Cooley or Thomas Jefferson.

MTal

Postby MTal » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:48 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
MTal wrote:

When a T1 law school actually gets sued for fraud let me know. Nobody on this site ever said it was worthwhile to go to Cooley or Thomas Jefferson.

Will do. I don't think we'll have long to wait.

TMC116

Postby TMC116 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:53 pm

Hey have you guys heard about Thomas Jefferson School of Law and Cooley?

They're both worth going to...

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:51 am

So... if a lawsuit devastates a school and it has to shut down, are the loans of current students forgiven?

jenesaislaw

Postby jenesaislaw » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:35 pm

shoeshine wrote:

A few things.

This "article" is not legit. It is a press release by a law firm trolling for law school clients to do risk management. It's just an advertisement.

That said, we are going to see more class actions in 2012. A lot of them I suspect.

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:50 pm

MTal wrote:

I'd actually like them to go in the opposite direction. Do away with plus loans, insure private loans can be discharged in bankruptcy, and cap federal loans (I imagine the current 20,500 dollars would be sufficient). This would, hopefully, create "soft" tuition caps and would favor students who spent a couple years in the workforce before going to law school.

LawperaMan

Postby LawperaMan » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:04 pm

If someone really wants to sue effectively, go after the ABA for accrediting new Tier 4 schools and letting them boost enrollment.

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:37 am

MTal wrote:

When HYSCC actually gets sued for fraud let me know. Nobody on this site ever said it was worthwhile to go to Cooley or Thomas Jefferson.

How about that?

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:46 am

LawperaMan wrote:If someone really wants to sue effectively, go after the ABA for accrediting new Tier 4 schools and letting them boost enrollment.

But-for or proximate?

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:48 am

+ 100,000

Philosopher King

Postby Philosopher King » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:51 am

MTal wrote:Seems the lawsuits earlier this year were just the beginning.

--LinkRemoved--

Cool! I could get in on this. Hopefully I get accepted to law school so I can join this. Don't mess with lawyers, especially new, young, ambitious ones.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:54 am

haven't read yet, but I'm ok with an Mtal troll thread as long as he brings something new and enlightening to the table.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:22 pm

Philosopher King wrote:
MTal wrote:Seems the lawsuits earlier this year were just the beginning.

--LinkRemoved--

Cool! I could get in on this. Hopefully I get accepted to law school so I can join this. Don't mess with lawyers, especially new, young, ambitious ones.

I don't want to indulge you or your incessant rants, but just a piece of information for you: you can't justify joining/filing this type of class action suit until you actually graduate and are thus affected by the falsified employment data. Considering that you will not graduate until 2015 at the earliest, you will arguably be late to the party.

Furthermore, I'm pretty sure you would need to be a graduate from one of the schools in order to join the class. I then ask why would you matriculate at a shitty school only to sue them? Would you choose a school that is involved in the class action so you could sue them? If you did, that is pretty poor logic: enrolling in a school that is being accused of falsifying data in an effort to sue them, rather than choosing a school that will provide you with the best opportunities for gainful employment. And matriculating even though you know about the lawsuit only damages your argument. Of course, this depends on how high up the rankings these suits go.

Final note: stop trying to sue every institution involved in the legal profession. First it was LSAC. Now law schools? Just stop.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:25 pm

MTal wrote:

My school (Villanova) has been hit with a class action. We're not T1, but if you think there's a difference between most of the T1 and Villanova then you'd have to be a bit delusional.

Class certification is going to be a bitch for a lot of these cases.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”