Joint degree after transferring after 1L

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
getsemani

Joint degree after transferring after 1L

Postby getsemani » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:38 pm

All transferring happens after 1L and most law schools write that one may apply for a joint degree during his or her first year. But what of transfer students that come in as 2nd year students? Has anyone transferred law schools and then applied for a joint degree?

Bildungsroman

Re: Joint degree after transferring after 1L

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:45 pm

Your post history indicates that you're a 0L.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:47 pm

Don't go expecting to transfer.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:58 pm

You guys are dicks. He just wants to go to a terrible law school, finish at the top of his class, transfer to a better school, get a joint JD/MA in Latin American studies, and then work for the UN. What's wrong with that?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:01 pm

Transfers at Duke, for example, are not permitted to pursue joint degrees. Not sure whether or not this is a typical practice so you need to research school by school.

getsemani

Postby getsemani » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:55 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Transfers at Duke, for example, are not permitted to pursue joint degrees. Not sure whether or not this is a typical practice so you need to research school by school.

Thanks for answering my question.

rftdd888

Postby rftdd888 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:25 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Your post history indicates that you're a 0L.

instead of (not) looking clever you could just answer his question.

no wonder you have 10k posts.

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:31 pm

Don't know about other schools, but at University of Chicago you can interview for the MBA program as a transfer during your 2L year. (But it is early, so you better come in with a GMAT score already)

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:32 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:You guys are dicks. He just wants to go to a terrible law school, finish at the top of his class, transfer to a better school, get a joint JD/MA in Latin American studies, and then work for the UN. What's wrong with that?

I think the issue is that grades are incredibly unpredictable wherever go, and that one shouldn't bet on transferring. The OP's question intrigues me though. So... do any schools allow transfers to pursue at least a JD/MBA?

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:33 pm

rriles wrote:

No, I have 10k posts because I'm a loser with no friends. But even someone with as little to do as me (and I once literally watched paint dry, so I have very little to do indeed) recognizes that there's no value in helping someone plan for a transfer before they've even done anything on which transfer is contingent, such as enroll at a law school, take law school classes, take law school exams, and do better than most of his classmates on law school exams. It would be like me, a 1L, asking what suit I should wear when I'm interviewing to lateral out of biglaw.

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:34 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:Don't know about other schools, but at University of Chicago you can interview for the MBA program as a transfer during your 2L year. (But it is early, so you better come in with a GMAT score already)

Ah - thank you.

rftdd888

Postby rftdd888 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:40 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
rriles wrote:

No, I have 10k posts because I'm a loser with no friends. But even someone with as little to do as me (and I once literally watched paint dry, so I have very little to do indeed) recognizes that there's no value in helping someone plan for a transfer before they've even done anything on which transfer is contingent, such as enroll at a law school, take law school classes, take law school exams, and do better than most of his classmates on law school exams. It would be like me, a 1L, asking what suit I should wear when I'm interviewing to lateral out of biglaw.

i understand that, and maybe he is a douche, but still. pointless.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”