GPA Addendum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
GabyVA

GPA Addendum

Postby GabyVA » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:59 pm

I'm on the fence as to whether or not I should write an addendum to explain my GPA. Currently, it is a 2.75.

In 2007 (my senior year of high school), I started a small business in partnership with my mother. I started college in the fall of 2008 at a school ~4hrs from where my home and business were located. Because I was co-owner and manager of this business, I came home from school at least every weekend, and sometimes up to 4 days a week, to help run it and make sure it grew and stayed afloat in this economy. This had a tremendous impact on my GPA as I didn't spend nearly as much time at school as I should have, taking time away from my studies and even class time on a few occasions. I worked at least 40hrs/wk on this business, in addition to being a full-time student. I think my GPA is not reflective of my potential as a student because of how much I was away, although this experience has been very maturing for me. The business has grown to become stable and independent enough so that it no longer needs my constant oversight. I am able to, and plan to, take all of the necessary time away from the business to attend law school, so this will not be an influence on my performance once I get there.

I'm looking for advice on whether or not I should mention this in my application as I do feel that it had a major impact on my UGPA but as I stated above, it will not be a problem once I get to law school. Thanks for any and all input!

bernaldiaz

Re: GPA Addendum

Postby bernaldiaz » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:02 pm

Undoubtedly write this addendum

MachineLemon

Postby MachineLemon » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:12 pm

GabyVA wrote: The business has grown to become stable and independent enough so that it no longer needs my constant oversight.

Why not stay with the business? Sounds like it's going well. If you do choose to apply, do write an addendum.

GabyVA

Postby GabyVA » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:25 pm

Thank you for your replies! While I've enjoyed the experience of starting this business, it is not what I see myself doing for the rest of my life. Conversely, struggles that I've had personally while developing our business and those that face my industry are what actually drove me towards a career in law, which I feel is a much better fit for me.

fakehunter

Postby fakehunter » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:34 pm

I agree that you should write it. Mind if I ask what the business was? If it's not super personal or anything, I would consider including it in the addendum.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”