Legitimate GPA Addendum?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jeremydc

Legitimate GPA Addendum?

Postby jeremydc » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:24 pm

So during my second semester through my fourth of college, my mother was basically in and out of the hospital. She had problems with her blood count and needed bi weekly blood transfusions (each stay would be anywhere from 3-6 days). My father worked 50-60 hours a weeks (only income) and I had to take the responsibility of taking care of 2 younger brothers and 1 sister. This honestly did affect my gpa tremendously. I am going into my final semester with 3 straight semesters of straight As so hopefully this shows a good upward trend.

Would this a legit GPA addendum? How would I explain this without looking like I'm searching for sympathy for bad grades?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

bobbyh1919

Re: Legitimate GPA Addendum?

Postby bobbyh1919 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:27 pm

That's a fine reason and you should do the addendum. Don't think of it as looking for sympathy per se, just hoping for some understanding and to put your GPA in context.

jeremydc

Postby jeremydc » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:43 pm

Thank you. Are there any guidelines for the addendum? Length?

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:46 pm

jeremydc wrote:Thank you. Are there any guidelines for the addendum? Length?

No school really has a hard deadline although most usually say either 1 page or 1 or 2 paragraphs. I think what you have here is fine and adequately puts your performance into context. If you want to add a little more that's fine too; just don't add much more.

hyakku

Postby hyakku » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:03 am

"During XXX time [it's not clear from your post] my mother fell ill from X / suffered an X [it's kind of hard to do this without knowing what it was but you get the point] that required hospitalization. Due to the fact that she was intermittently in the hospital for bi weekly blood transfusions, my father's job was my family's sole source of income and mandated he work consistent overtime hours. During this period, my family required my extensive support in caring for my younger brothers and sister, adding a tremendous amount of strain on top of my full course load. I believe that this stress negatively impacted my GPA, lowering it to a X.X. Fortunately, since my mother has recovered I have been able to refocus on school, and I believe that my rising GPA trend and X.X GPA are more indicative of my present abilities. I request that the admissions committee please consider these circumstances when coming to a decision, and thank you for your consideration."

You can remove the parenthetical stuff and make it more personal, but I definitely think you should write one. I wrote one and I believe your reason is far more serious than mine.

I also hope your mother did recover. Happy holidays man.

jeremydc

Postby jeremydc » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:20 am

Thank you hyakku. Yes she is doing better now. The blood transfusions had been less and less over the past few years.

Happy holidays as well.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:21 am

If only USNWR/LSAC looked at GPA addendums. Sigh.

hyakku

Postby hyakku » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:37 pm

jeremydc wrote:Thank you hyakku. Yes she is doing better now. The blood transfusions had been less and less over the past few years.

Happy holidays as well.

I'm glad to hear that man, hope you make it big so you can take care of her and your family. I know the feeling of having to struggle and manage life and bills. I'm sure your parents told you but your aid was probably immeasurable to them. Hope your cycle is incredible brother

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”