Friend w unique schooling background

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
rftdd888
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 3:08 am

Friend w unique schooling background

Postby rftdd888 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:52 pm

Hey tls-

I have a buddy I often take classes with at school (we are both poli sci seniors) who wanted me to do a little digging:

He had a weird childhood -- I think tragically poor etc -- and never finished school after the third grade. He later went back at around 17 or 18 and got his GED before coming to our school, public uni

How much would something like that impact his cycle? How positive would that be? I'm of the idea that it's pretty impressive to recover grades 4-12 like that and do well in school. He got a 173 in oct LSAT and thinks he'll graduate with a 3.8 (stats a little bette than mine)

Just curious. Thanks.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Friend w unique schooling background

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:54 pm

Very impressive. But this should be obvious to you, so I am confused as to what you are seeking from this post.

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Friend w unique schooling background

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:59 pm

It'll make an interesting diversity statement. 3.8/173 makes YHS possible, though not a guarantee, and it should help push him into the admit zone at H.

User avatar
rftdd888
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 3:08 am

Re: Friend w unique schooling background

Postby rftdd888 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:01 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Very impressive. But this should be obvious to you, so I am confused as to what you are seeking from this post.


well, really I think what he's curious about is if that will act as a benefit during the admissions process. is that something a school would look very favorably upon?

as in, he has ties to California and wants to apply to Stanford. would they look at that in a PS and give him a boost?

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Friend w unique schooling background

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:09 pm

rriles wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Very impressive. But this should be obvious to you, so I am confused as to what you are seeking from this post.


well, really I think what he's curious about is if that will act as a benefit during the admissions process. is that something a school would look very favorably upon?

as in, he has ties to California and wants to apply to Stanford. would they look at that in a PS and give him a boost?


Nobody on here is going to be able to tell you with any sort of accuracy rather than a bullshitting guess how much of a benefit it would be. We can tell you it's favorable, but not whether it's "very" favorable. He should write into a diversity statement, I think, and write a separate PS. (Two chances to talk about how he's cool). His numbers are good, he should apply, but S is fairly unpredictable.

User avatar
rftdd888
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 3:08 am

Re: Friend w unique schooling background

Postby rftdd888 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:11 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
rriles wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Very impressive. But this should be obvious to you, so I am confused as to what you are seeking from this post.


well, really I think what he's curious about is if that will act as a benefit during the admissions process. is that something a school would look very favorably upon?

as in, he has ties to California and wants to apply to Stanford. would they look at that in a PS and give him a boost?


Nobody on here is going to be able to tell you with any sort of accuracy rather than a bullshitting guess how much of a benefit it would be. We can tell you it's favorable, but not whether it's "very" favorable. He should write into a diversity statement, I think, and write a separate PS. (Two chances to talk about how he's cool). His numbers are good, he should apply, but S is fairly unpredictable.


okay great, thanks. i appreciate the help. you can write two statements? how would that work? i had personally only drafted one. he can do two?

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Friend w unique schooling background

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:14 pm

rriles wrote:
okay great, thanks. i appreciate the help. you can write two statements? how would that work? i had personally only drafted one. he can do two?


Most schools somewhere on there app have some floofy instructions about how you can submit another optional essay about how you will contribute to the diversity of their campus. It's usually like half the length of the PS. I'm pretty sure S allows for them. I didn't write one because my PS already talked about diversity-like things and it'd be redundant. But if he can, he should do both.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mema8645, pkou19 and 5 guests