When are you expected to apply?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jonjon1324
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:22 pm

When are you expected to apply?

Postby jonjon1324 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:27 am

I mean, I guess I know people tend to do it by the end of the first semester of their senior year, but my gpa is rather low so I guess I was hoping those last semesters would boost my gpa..but if you're supposed to apply then I'm guessing they won't look at senior year grades much? Is it bad to apply instead during the fall after your last semester (so my gpa can be higher), even though I wouldnt be taking classes or is that only something I should do if I'm gonna be getting work experience or whatever?

User avatar
MrShneebly
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: When are you expected to apply?

Postby MrShneebly » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:37 am

jonjon1324 wrote:I mean, I guess I know people tend to do it by the end of the first semester of their senior year, but my gpa is rather low so I guess I was hoping those last semesters would boost my gpa..but if you're supposed to apply then I'm guessing they won't look at senior year grades much? Is it bad to apply instead during the fall after your last semester (so my gpa can be higher), even though I wouldnt be taking classes or is that only something I should do if I'm gonna be getting work experience or whatever?

Depends on the school. Read dean interviews. The most competitive schools have received most of their apps already though

jonjon1324
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:22 pm

Re: When are you expected to apply?

Postby jonjon1324 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:38 am

Well this isn't for this year, I'm talking about next year..I'm still a junior

User avatar
Elston Gunn
Posts: 3444
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: When are you expected to apply?

Postby Elston Gunn » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:42 am

jonjon1324 wrote:Well this isn't for this year, I'm talking about next year..I'm still a junior

If you can improve your GPA and get a job for the year in between, you'll be much better off applying a year later.

User avatar
MrShneebly
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: When are you expected to apply?

Postby MrShneebly » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:45 am

What he said. Get the trend first and get experience

jonjon1324
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:22 pm

Re: When are you expected to apply?

Postby jonjon1324 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:46 am

Does it matter what kind of job? Because if I'll only be at my school until spring 2013 (my last semester), then it's not like I'll be able to have the same job for a whole year if I want to apply by the end if 2014 (since after the spring semester I would have gone back home already)

User avatar
MrShneebly
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: When are you expected to apply?

Postby MrShneebly » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:51 am

jonjon1324 wrote:Does it matter what kind of job? Because if I'll only be at my school until spring 2013 (my last semester), then it's not like I'll be able to have the same job for a whole year if I want to apply by the end if 2014 (since after the spring semester I would have gone back home already)

Dude. Go to the dean interview section. UVA s boalt and mich have great tips, for any law school applicant.

User avatar
bceagles182
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: When are you expected to apply?

Postby bceagles182 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:05 am

Virtually every school in the country receives the majority of its applications in the month preceding its deadline. That is irrelevant though, because applying late still harms your chances of admission. My guess would be that under rolling admissions, applicants are only tangibly harmed if they apply after the new year.

User avatar
ladybug89
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:57 am

Re: When are you expected to apply?

Postby ladybug89 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:33 am

people are very confused ITT.

anyway, it's completely fine to apply after you graduate (but as people have said, apply during the fall, as early as possible). but during your cycle you should have a job or an internship or something - if you're sitting around doing nothing, i
think adcoms will be like, what?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Clyde Frog and 4 guests