reallyyy screwed up Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bceagles182

Silver

Re: reallyyy screwed up

Post by bceagles182 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:15 am

If this is legitimate, then worry about your lsat, not your GPA. The correct answer is retake and HYS or bust. If you are capable of maintaining above a 4.0, you are capable of getting higher than a 165. Hit 170 and then return.

gravityrides0

Silver

Post by gravityrides0 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:16 pm

Hah! He ended up giving me an A. After all that stressing. After he began his email response with "Unfortunately, it's too late..." What a trickster.

I truly wasn't trying to piss anyone off... :shock:

As someone else said, being a reverse splitter really sucks, and I see having OVER a 4.0 as the only thing that could possibly get me out of the auto-reject pile and into the maybe pile. I do have a social life (to whoever said I'll "fit in" at law school), but I also put an immense amount of time and effort into my classes, which I have always felt is the main reason a person GOES to college in the first place. I take classes that interest me and put my all in them. I don't think I could sleep at night if I put any more time into improving a standardized test score by a few points when I need that time for a research job/ my sanity. I already had my chance after a lot of studying, didn't do great, and am working with what I've got. :oops: :)

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:26 pm

gravityrides0 wrote:Hah! He ended up giving me an A. After all that stressing. After he began his email response with "Unfortunately, it's too late..." What a trickster.

I truly wasn't trying to piss anyone off... :shock:

As someone else said, being a reverse splitter really sucks, and I see having OVER a 4.0 as the only thing that could possibly get me out of the auto-reject pile and into the maybe pile. I do have a social life (to whoever said I'll "fit in" at law school), but I also put an immense amount of time and effort into my classes, which I have always felt is the main reason a person GOES to college in the first place. I take classes that interest me and put my all in them. I don't think I could sleep at night if I put any more time into improving a standardized test score by a few points when I need that time for a research job/ my sanity. I already had my chance after a lot of studying, didn't do great, and am working with what I've got. :oops: :)
You aren't a fucking splitter you have an lsat score in the 90-something percentile.

Jesus fuck.

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:26 pm

Law school was made for this kid.

gravityrides0

Silver

Post by gravityrides0 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:28 pm

It's in the overall 90th percentile, but I'm applying to T14s... a 165 is way below most of their 25th percentiles

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:36 pm

Ialdabaoth wrote:
Dany wrote:
Ialdabaoth wrote:You could include a GPA addendum, but it might do more harm than good. I probably wouldn't if I were in your shoes. Congrats on the awesome GPA, and I'm jealous that your school gives A+s :)

I'm actually thinking about including a GPA addendum for my somewhat similar situation. I have a B and a B+ from a high school summer program and a 4.0 at my undergrad, which brings my LSDAS GPA down to a 3.94-3.95. Do you all think an addendum in this situation is a bad idea? TIA!
Jesus christ. No. Neither you nor OP should write an addendum.
Don't hate. :) I don't know if the OP is a flame or not, but I had a legitimate concern. I know if sounds neurotic, but I've worked extremely hard in UG, putting in ~60+ hours a week, so it bothers me that a stupid decision when I was 16 is affecting (at least in some small way) my law school applications. I also don't have a stellar LSAT--168--so we (I think I can speak for the OP here) want our GPAs to be as high as possible. (And yes, I'm planning to try to retake before I apply next fall).
I have a 164 and a 3.89. My GPA/PS/DS and everything else has done wonders for me this cycle.

I also had 1 C my entire UG and it happened during the one term that I took less classes than every other term and it also happened to be this past summer, did I include an addendum? No, because I doubt that's indicative of a decreasing grade trend to anyone. If you have 2 or more terms of declining performance then include an addendum, otherwise you're just whining.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:39 pm

Oh, and BTW, the fact that the title of this thread is "reallyyy screwed up" because I got an A- makes you sound like a douche.

KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE.

ConfidenceMan2

New

Post by ConfidenceMan2 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:41 pm

gravityrides0 wrote:It's in the overall 90th percentile, but I'm applying to T14s... a 165 is way below most of their 25th percentiles
You're right, you're a reverse-splitter. I think the (excessive) frustration being vented here stems from these facts: 1) you're being neurotic... about a trivial drop in an insanely high GPA, one higher than most of us could have possibly achieved at our schools. Worrying about a drop of .1 is one thing.... .01 is another. And, 2) there are more splitters around here than there are reverse-splitters, so we're naturally envious of your sweet-ass GPA.

For comparison, imagine someone started a thread entitled "fuckfuckfuck i lose :(" and in it, they complain that they got their LSAT score back, and one of their responses they didn't transfer right to the scantron from the booklet, dropping their score an unnecessary point. Their drop? From a 179 to a 178.

Now, this imaginary scenario, while aggravating, fails to meet the level of triviality that your GPA problem does.

Relax, breathe deep, and know that you've earned yourself a terrific, stellar, super-high GPA.

Retake

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:45 pm

JoeMo wrote:Oh, and BTW, the fact that the title of this thread is "reallyyy screwed up" because I got an A- makes you sound like a douche.

KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE.
Yeah, I don't say this much, but you kind of come off like an idiot. There is no way in hell that your "drop" (when it was possibly going to happen) would matter at all to anybody. If anything, people on this board have been kind to you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mighttransfer

Bronze

Post by mighttransfer » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:49 pm

What an annoying post. Yeah dude, you're totally fucked. All law schools will see your two A-'s and say "Wow, this kid's performance is really declining. That massive drop from a 4.07 to a 4.0X is too much for us to bear."

jk2011

New

Post by jk2011 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:51 pm

JoeMo wrote:Oh, and BTW, the fact that the title of this thread is "reallyyy screwed up" because I got an A- makes you sound like a douche.

KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE.

This. The title of this thread drew me in so I could connect with others and the problems they are facing this cycle. Instead you have over a 4.0. SO anticlimatic.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:52 pm

ConfidenceMan2 wrote:Retake
FTFY

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:56 pm

gravityrides0 wrote:I don't think I could sleep at night if I put any more time into improving a standardized test score by a few points when I need that time for a research job/ my sanity. I already had my chance after a lot of studying, didn't do great, and am working with what I've got. :oops: :)
Then wait until the research job is over and study again. Unless you've already taken it three times, you really really need to retake. How could you work so hard to get a 4.0 and then not be willing to work hard enough to get a better LSAT?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gravityrides0

Silver

Post by gravityrides0 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:57 pm

I made this thread at a time when I was being unnecessarily panicky. sorry that the title came off as douchey. *truce*

gravityrides0

Silver

Post by gravityrides0 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:58 pm

and I'll retake if I don't get into a school this cycle, but it's really too late this time.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:06 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
gravityrides0 wrote:I don't think I could sleep at night if I put any more time into improving a standardized test score by a few points when I need that time for a research job/ my sanity. I already had my chance after a lot of studying, didn't do great, and am working with what I've got. :oops: :)
Then wait until the research job is over and study again. Unless you've already taken it three times, you really really need to retake. How could you work so hard to get a 4.0 and then not be willing to work hard enough to get a better LSAT?
+ FUCKING 1.

Dude, I studied 3 times for the LSAT and I have a 2.8. If some lazy ass, underachieving splitter can muster up enough dedication and motivation to kick ass and get a good LSAT score, it's almost pathetic that someone with over a 4.0 can't. If you really want to waste your GPA like that, then give some points to me. I could do awesome things with just .4 more GPA points. If you improve your LSAT to a 168-175, you are T6 secure.

Start studying for your retake NOW, don't wait until May when your cycle is over and you realized how much time you wasted. At the worst, your retake will help you get some $$$ or get off the WL at a T14 school. At best, you can reapply and get into HYS next cycle. Or you could be getting a Darrow, or Levy, or Hamilton, or Rubenstein.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:11 pm

gravityrides0 wrote:and I'll retake if I don't get into a school this cycle, but it's really too late this time.
Well of course you'll get into a school. In fact you will probably get into some good schools with your phenomenal GPA and a decent LSAT. But if you retake and break 170 you're looking at multiple T14 acceptances with scholarship money. Don't be so impatient. The benefits of waiting a year and retaking will be worth it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 094320 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:12 pm

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:13 pm

gravityrides0 wrote:and I'll retake if I don't get into a school this cycle, but it's really too late this time.
Well of course you'll get into a school. In fact you will probably get into some good schools with your phenomenal GPA and a decent LSAT. But if you retake and break 170 you're looking at multiple T14 acceptances with scholarship money. Don't be so impatient. The benefits of waiting a year and retaking will be worth it.
Eh... see, to this point, I'm in a similar predicament with my 164. But I'd rather just go to Michigan now (seeing as it was my #1) than sit out a whole cycle for the hopes that just maybe I can get a higher LSAT score and get a Darrow invite. Perhaps OP in this regard is contemplating something similar.

Still doesn't take away from the douche factor of the OP

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:20 pm

JoeMo wrote:
Eh... see, to this point, I'm in a similar predicament with my 164. But I'd rather just go to Michigan now (seeing as it was my #1) than sit out a whole cycle for the hopes that just maybe I can get a higher LSAT score and get a Darrow invite. Perhaps OP in this regard is contemplating something similar.

Still doesn't take away from the douche factor of the OP
I mean, it's easy for you to say this because you're already in at Michigan. I'm pretty sure if you were still waiting to hear back and on pins and needles wondering if you would even get in, the response would be different. OP having an outside shot at Michigan with no $$$ vs being a LOCK at Michigan with a full ride...doesn't that even slightly validate the work and time necessary to retake?

IDK, as someone who's a splitter instead of a reverse splitter and still waiting to hear back from schools, if I could go back and retake 4 years of college to make myself HYS status, I would. But I can't. OP has the chance to do essentially the same thing, and they're not taking advantage of it...it's frustrating.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:25 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote: I mean, it's easy for you to say this because you're already in at Michigan. I'm pretty sure if you were still waiting to hear back and on pins and needles wondering if you would even get in, the response would be different. OP having an outside shot at Michigan with no $$$ vs being a LOCK at Michigan with a full ride...doesn't that even slightly validate the work and time necessary to retake?

IDK, as someone who's a splitter instead of a reverse splitter and still waiting to hear back from schools, if I could go back and retake 4 years of college to make myself HYS status, I would. But I can't. OP has the chance to do essentially the same thing, and they're not taking advantage of it...it's frustrating.
I agree with what you're saying. I'm just saying that maybe he wants to wait to see if he has similar luck. And yes, it definitely is easy for me to say because I was very fortunate to hear back from Michigan so early in the cycle. If that were not the case, I'd be looking at some other T1 school right now and probably would be considering retaking so that I could secure Michigan.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:35 pm

JoeMo wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote: I mean, it's easy for you to say this because you're already in at Michigan. I'm pretty sure if you were still waiting to hear back and on pins and needles wondering if you would even get in, the response would be different. OP having an outside shot at Michigan with no $$$ vs being a LOCK at Michigan with a full ride...doesn't that even slightly validate the work and time necessary to retake?

I agree with what you're saying. I'm just saying that maybe he wants to wait to see if he has similar luck. And yes, it definitely is easy for me to say because I was very fortunate to hear back from Michigan so early in the cycle. If that were not the case, I'd be looking at some other T1 school right now and probably would be considering retaking so that I could secure Michigan.
I'm so jelly!! (: Congratulations again, though, and I hope I didn't come across as angry at you or anything. It just frustrates me when people who have the opportunity to retake and make themselves better candidates don't, when I don't even have the opportunity to 'retake' the part of my application that's holding me back. :P If I had that GPA on lock, shiiiiit. I'd retake as many times as I needed to in order to get that score.

JDizzle2015

Silver

Post by JDizzle2015 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:46 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote: It just frustrates me when people who have the opportunity to retake and make themselves better candidates don't, when I don't even have the opportunity to 'retake' the part of my application that's holding me back. :P If I had that GPA on lock, shiiiiit. I'd retake as many times as I needed to in order to get that score.
Credited... OP, retake your 165 and make the 30 under 30 list ... and tell us how it feels. :)

Don't be neurotic about your over 4.0X GPA... it will be seen exactly the same at all schools up to HLS (I don't even think that change would hurt your chances at YLS with the right LSAT score/softs).

GL on your retake.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:52 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote: I'm so jelly!! (: Congratulations again, though, and I hope I didn't come across as angry at you or anything. It just frustrates me when people who have the opportunity to retake and make themselves better candidates don't, when I don't even have the opportunity to 'retake' the part of my application that's holding me back. :P If I had that GPA on lock, shiiiiit. I'd retake as many times as I needed to in order to get that score.
Thank you, and I didn't think you were mad at me. I wouldn't have unless you said "go get a fucking Darrow you piece of shit". Honestly, I know that with a 164, even with the high GPA it's like shooting fish in a barrel (well, I know that now but I didn't know at the beginning of my cycle). Which, I'm kind of glad I didn't because I didn't spend the time really dwelling on my score and accepted my fate which has been a pretty good fate I might add.

If I were looking at my best prospect being some TTTT with a full scholarship, I would've retaken or gone to business school. (GASP)

gravityrides0

Silver

Post by gravityrides0 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:40 pm

If I don't hear from a school I would be happy to go to by mid-March I'll probably start studying hard to retake in June or October and re-apply, but until then I've got a thesis to write! To start studying now to retake the LSAT would mean not doing a thesis, which means losing an awesome research job and not graduating from the honors college at my public school. I understand how great it is to be ABLE to take the LSAT, but I will still be able to retake it in a few months. but after May, I'll never be able to redo my last semester of college and have access to all of the resources I have here again.

On a sidenote, I'm a "she," not a "he" :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”