Career advice...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LegalMan

Career advice...

Postby LegalMan » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:17 pm

Law School simply isn't going to happen for me. My credentials aren't good enough to get into a decent school, and I don't have the determination to study for the LSAT.

I currently have a Bachelors in Marketing from a mediocre regional university (graduated in '10), and am making between $55,000-60,000 a year doing sales for a small nutritional company.

Although my salary is good in comparision to many others my age, I am bored shitless. I work by myself, and thus can't build any social relationships in a city that I know nobody. I have been living this life for roughly 2 years.

Another issue is that my company offers little in career advancement, and I can't seem to find another job with a larger company that will match my salary.

I am looking for career advice. Is there a degree that could get me a cool job? I was thinking a MA in Agricultural Economics. Would an MBA open up any doors for me?

I am sooooooo lost right now. I tried the law school thing, and it didn't work out....

cutecarmel

Re: Career advice...

Postby cutecarmel » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:02 am

you might want to check on a sight that isn't geared towards people who want to be lawyers.

TheVassarBro

Postby TheVassarBro » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:19 am

If you don't have the numbers for law school, then you probably won't have the numbers or awesome work experience to get into an mba worth going through.

1) Look for cool marketing jobs on Indeed.com

or

2) It takes about $5k initial investment to start a basic company. Create your own supplement and market the shit out of it to distributors. Get your sales numbers up, which you obviously can do, and sell that bitch. Invest that couple mil into some bullshit returning 10% and never work again.

Or ... you know, create your own life because you have 1 chance to do what ever the fuck you want. Then you die. Figure that shit out and get it done. In the meantime, I suggest Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller for inspiration.

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:00 am

This post might be helpful. But maybe not, I only read the title:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=173781

Bangalmafia

Postby Bangalmafia » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:22 am

LegalMan! Check out the Agricultural Economics department at Texas A&M.

I didn't go through the program, but I worked for the department--and I can honestly say I was consistently impressed by what they opened up for their students. They love taking on students with work experience so your credentials will come in handy.

PM me if you have any questions. (I worked for the department over there... I made websites / animations / film stuff. One of the nicest (and most hardworking) guys I've ever met).

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:40 am

Come up with your own idea in the nutritional industry. Sell it. Going to grad school never made anybody rich and satisfied.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:13 pm

LegalMan wrote:I currently have a Bachelors in Marketing from a mediocre regional university (graduated in '10), and am making between $55,000-60,000 a year doing sales for a small nutritional company.

Welcome to life. Most Americans work an unsatisfying job, making just enough money to get by, and do not advance very high in their respective careers. Only 10% of individuals earn over $75k in this country; meaning 9 in 10 do not. You're in better shape than most so celebrate. Find happiness in personal relationships and hobbies.

fashiongirl

Postby fashiongirl » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:41 pm

I don't know why you're complaining... you graduated in 2010. Do you know how much people make these days coming out of undergrad? A lot of my friends have to work 2 jobs. Be thankful you have a job right now and figure out what you actually want to do. Don't just do something for the money.

I think you need a reality check because your net worth actually decreases when you go to grad school, unless you have enough to not take out any loans. I would just focus on saving your money, investing, buying a condo, etc. Find a hobby for crying out loud. Stop complaining about your life and do something about it. If your work does not provide for social relationships, go out and make connections. Network with other people.

And I don't know why you're asking for advice on a forum for people that want to become lawyers.
Last edited by fashiongirl on Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:42 pm

LegalMan wrote:Law School simply isn't going to happen for me. My credentials aren't good enough to get into a decent school, and I don't have the determination to study for the LSAT.

I currently have a Bachelors in Marketing from a mediocre regional university (graduated in '10), and am making between $55,000-60,000 a year doing sales for a small nutritional company.

Although my salary is good in comparision to many others my age, I am bored shitless. I work by myself, and thus can't build any social relationships in a city that I know nobody. I have been living this life for roughly 2 years.

Another issue is that my company offers little in career advancement, and I can't seem to find another job with a larger company that will match my salary.

I am looking for career advice. Is there a degree that could get me a cool job? I was thinking a MA in Agricultural Economics. Would an MBA open up any doors for me?

I am sooooooo lost right now. I tried the law school thing, and it didn't work out....

I'd rape an aborted manatee to be making 55k a year.
quit yer bitchin' Go tell this sob story to the millions of people who are unemployed right now. Half of them would give a homeless guy a handy to be in your shoes.
Enjoy having your head above water while you look for something better. Be patient. you are blessed to be making what you make with only a bachelors. I've been out a couple and I'm only making 40k a year...still, and I feel lucky to have something decent to hold me over until law school, especially since the economy is in the butthole right now. I have a lot of buddies who are recent grads who make less the 30K, some are even waiters.. You are pouting to the wrong crowd guy.
Dere takin eeerr jawbs!

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:43 pm

mrtoren wrote:
LegalMan wrote:I currently have a Bachelors in Marketing from a mediocre regional university (graduated in '10), and am making between $55,000-60,000 a year doing sales for a small nutritional company.

Welcome to life. Most Americans work an unsatisfying job, making just enough money to get by, and do not advance very high in their respective careers. Only 10% of individuals earn over $75k in this country; meaning 9 in 10 do not. You're in better shape than most so celebrate. Find happiness in personal relationships and hobbies.

I hate you, but I agree 100%

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”